Best Candidate for Aureola

BK-201

Magitanking? Even considering, isn't Saul's RES high as is, and then you would have to consider his much higher HP?

To answer the topic's question, your best bet would be Saul, since he's the only light mage that is ever going to double. However, he has a problem, that being rank. It's gonna be tough getting him up to that rank unless you promote him as soon as light magic starts popping up. Even then, it's gonna be a close one.

I dunno, at little HP and more Def aren't bad. And Ellen's magictanking is a bit...overrated, it's not like Saul can't do the same, it's only that her Res is great, but sure, it's not like you need 30 Res to be a tank to all magic attacks.

... Light sucks in this doesn't it.

I mean, when DARK is beating you... lol

And Ellen/Saul are pretty much raped in every way by Clarine. Come to think of it, why are units like Lugh under Ellen/Saul anyway?

... Light sucks in this doesn't it.

I mean, when DARK is beating you... lol

And Ellen/Saul are pretty much raped in every way by Clarine. Come to think of it, why are units like Lugh under Ellen/Saul anyway?

Ellen I feel is always overrated, simply because she's up there for when you have no other healer, and thus she's paramount. After that, you get Clarine and Saul, of which then she is basically just as good as them, since healing is healing. You don't get any different effects until after promotion, where Clarine and Saul utterly smoke her. So basically she's as good as any other healer, except she's around for when you NEED a healer, and she's the only one around for a good while. Basically Time+Important utility period (IUP)=good. Saul is up there because a healer is a healer, and he does a good job of maging with his doubling, despite having a crappy form of magic. Despite his luck, he can at least take some shots, unlike the other healers (though Clarine is high because she is simply never getting hit).

Lou on the other hand does not hold any sort of importance earlygame, and his magical chipping isn't quite as useful as these guys healing. Even offensively, he's comparable to Saul until Aircalibur and Elfire show up, since Saul can't just sit on a mountain and wyvern-slay like that, nor can he compare to the raw damage output outside of using his one Divine tome.

So Lou is under them in the sense that, while he is greatly beneficial lategame in dragonslaying, he's never quite important enough to outdo Saul and Ellen's healing for when he himself is incapable. Then, early promotion. He might get a staff, but he is also utterly fucked int he speed department later (he only gets 1 speed, you just slowed down his leveling speed). Ellen and Saul on the other hand get magic (a bit more important to Saul, really), of which actually INCREASE their leveling speed as they level like unpromoted units. Because of this, they do not suffer from early promotion at all (Clarine included), because they'd be higher level at later dates than if they waited to promote at level 20.

That just sums it up.

Dark magic, by the way, shouldn't be mocked. It's always been powerful stuff in the GBA games, just they never give you any good mage to use them. The only exception is Niime, who shows up way too goddamn late.

Lugh has more importance than you realize; he's the team's only dependent 2-range fighter for chipping damage for other guys like Lance/Allen/Lot/etc. And he's your only GOOD 2-ranger until Shin, which is a six level difference. I had an argument typed up, but it got eaten by Serenesforest's very successful work-destroyer, so I'll leave you to reply with whatever.

• 3 weeks later...

You don't need anyone to use it. If you didn't train Saul or Ellen, don't bother. I guess you could use Yodel if you wanted, but I'd recommend just using someone else.

Yeah, and for the fact that it's heavy for them, and not really useable in a ranked run.