i do maps ლ(`◉◞౪◟◉‵ლ)

Krad

The castle, where you used outdoor plains, it looks off IMO, I just never mix indoors and outdoors when it comes to castles with water, since the colors of the outdoor tiles look weird.

Yeah, I was thinking the same, but I wasn't really sure what to do with them, so I left them at that time.

But I tried to fix it, how does it look now?

zmzeoh.png

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your indoor designs are always so smooth and interesting. Makes me jelly since mine come out like trash :P:

Couple things though:

5cb0eb665d14113f601a6d39cbd42aeb.png

What happened to the shading?(Oh, and the pillar on the left too but I don't think there's a shaded version in the tileset.)

5cb0eb665d14113f601a6d39cbd42aeb.png

What happened to the shading?(Oh, and the pillar on the left too but I don't think there's a shaded version in the tileset.)

Completely forgot to shade those tiles, hahaha. And I can't really fix the pillar, since like you said, there's no shaded version on the tileset.

15wjyba.png

mep

2ufrggg.png - n5k210.png

Made two versions since I'm not sure which one looks better. I'm leaning towards the first one, though. Also criticism on anything that seems too weird or errors is appreciated.

Definitely the first one!

the second one is cool because it is unique but it is boring and I don't think it really works.

Beautiful as always btw. :)

I agree, first one. Transition from grass to tile in the second is pretty jarring.

I'd whine about perspective but then you'd have to change all of the mountains so I'll just say it looks good. Nice job.

Definitely the first one!

the second one is cool because it is unique but it is boring and I don't think it really works.

Beautiful as always btw. :)

I agree, first one. Transition from grass to tile in the second is pretty jarring.

I'd whine about perspective but then you'd have to change all of the mountains so I'll just say it looks good. Nice job.

The first one it is, then. Also I thought how the perspective was ridiculous, that's why I made the second version as to make it a bit more normal.

Also this is I think the first sprite I've done in about a year.

2mi1hlj.png

Random attempt at doing the SD soldier in something that slightly resembled the FE5 style. I personally like how the armor came out, and hate how the clothes did, but I wasn't really sure how to fix it.

Edited by Krad

I saw first one, but I think the whole throne/altar/thing could be bigger, it seems a bit constricted to me.

i dislike cliffs connected in such a manner, but there's nothing wrong with it

a thing about the mountains, you could make the altar thing bigger and reduce the size of the mountains(IE the 1 tile peaks and mountain tiles). But eh.

• 3 months later...

oh wow over 3 months

anyway maps

98wvb6.png

Update to the C3x map. Basically, changed a lot of shading errors, height errors, and some other problems, in addition to redisigning some parts of the map.

2nbafps.png

Update to the C9 map. Redisigned a lot of it, changed the palette, and made some other fixes.

2qvxfye.png

bleh

2vb67iu.png

13yjbyq.png

Other stuff. The second one is supposed to be very simple, so that's why it is empty in the southern part.

I think I've done some more, but I can't remember/find them right now.

• 11 months later...

Maps.

[spoiler=Chapter 11 Map]maugs7.png

[spoiler=Chapter 12 Map]14wt94i.png

A cool thing (in my opinion) that I did while making these maps, was making them fit each other. So you can put them together and get:

2vuk07d.png

Funny how if you were to fill in the empty spaces, it would be insertable into FE6. Maybe someday...

Another thing which I found interesting while looking at old maps is the evolution of the Chapter 1 (previously the Prologue) map over time. From left to right, oldest to newest.

[spoiler=Chapter 1 evolution]oi6rlt.png

The first map has missing pieces since instead of being a single shitty chapter, it was two shitty chapters.

First version: early 2010 IIRC. Last version: last semester of 2012 I think.

The other map which also received huge updates was Chapter 6's (previously Chapter 5).

[spoiler=Chapter 6 evolution]359g088.png

Original one.

256ye50.png

New version. In game it uses a different palette since I thought it looked nicer.

And that's about it. Now it's time to work on battle sprites (of which I've only ever done a single one, and it was a splice haha):

sbkiko.png

Been kinda sitting on this for a few days but I think I know how to word it now.

The big 'ol mountain in ch12 comes off as funny looking. Normally the center of the mountain should be its highest point (Or among the highest points).

Your mountain seems to plateau out giving a very flat look. The metaphor that comes to mind is taking a piece of putty and pulling on the ends to stretch it out.

The left mountain in ch11 has this problem too but it's less noticeable.

Back to ch12: There's also a lot of cut of peak shading going on. Example:

d069b03c96c295704460ed144358ff6f.png

One more thing:

9671bfcf46c3b50b1d56e6d62eaddd3f.png

Cut off hills. There should be a duplicate of this tile in the set but it doesn't have the little black spec in the upper left and doesn't look cut off.

You sure are cuckoo for big maps

The big 'ol mountain in ch12 comes off as funny looking. Normally the center of the mountain should be its highest point (Or among the highest points).

Your mountain seems to plateau out giving a very flat look. The metaphor that comes to mind is taking a piece of putty and pulling on the ends to stretch it out.

The left mountain in ch11 has this problem too but it's less noticeable.

Yeha, you can probably notice I'm not really that experienced with mountains. I was mosltly trying to get every piece in the mountain to fit, and forgot to consider how high the moutain should be.

Back to ch12: There's also a lot of cut of peak shading going on. Example:

A lot of those I couldn't do much since there were no tiles that fitted correctly. I did fix what I could though.

One more thing:

I'm surprised those slipped by, since in other parts of the map I used the correct tile.

You sure are cuckoo for big maps

I know, they just look so good~

Edited by Krad

• 5 months later...