An idea for a new class

Luminothe

Here is somthing I thought might be interesting. Well' anyway I recently had an idea for a new class and I was wondering what people thought.(I'll treat the class as though it were in radiant dawn because Rd is the most advanced game using a standard format[like how fe4 30 lvl cap and FE5 20 caps are not standard as opposed to FE6-11])

Class: whipman > whipmaster > torturer(please tell me if you come up with better names.)

weapon: whips(whips are accurate but low power and heavy. However whips in general have a 1~2 range. They deal physical damage)

growths example:

Hp 40%

str 35%

mag 5%

skl 50%

spd 45%

luk 35%

def 30%

res 35%

Caps:

hp:55

str:34

mag:20

skl:40

spd:38

luk:35

def:25

res:25

Class skills(3rd tier):

crit + 5

mastery skill: temporrarily halves enemy defence and strikes twice(Skill%+ speed%/2.5)

shove

could you tell me what you think. is it unbalanced. It would be pretty neat if this were to be featured in an FEgame wouldn't it?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

weapon: whips(whips are accurate but low power and heavy. However whips in general have a 1~2 range. They deal physical damage)

I didn't know whips would be heavy, they seem light to me...

mastery skill: temporrarily halves enemy defence and strikes twice(Skill%+ speed%/2.5)

I'd think it's better it would be strikes three times with a stun effect(Skill%)

quite a good idea, but I don't think fe should get too many different weapon types,

unless you'd make a new weapon triangle with it

maybe like:

whip>(sword>axe>lance>sword)>knife>whip

like you have:

dark>(fire>wind>thunder>fire)>light>dark

My fish laguz idea is the best. :)

exactly what was missing between the laguz classes XD

what would it's mastery skill be? :blink:

Wasabi, x3 Damage(1/2SPD%) and poisons(50%) or sets the biorythem to low.(50%) One of the two side effects definitely occurs though. Only applies when transformed.

No llama laguz? You guys are no fun...

Knives can't penetrate armor either. The basic idea isn't all that bad, but the whips should have something sharp on the end that would cut the enemy. I'm not so sure the whips would be heavy, and they probably aren't very accurate. The class itself would eventually need a second weapon to be worth using in a real FE game, as a whip wouldn't be very dependable in many situations.

Edited by Isaac55

Knives can't penetrate armor either. The basic idea isn't all that bad, but the whips should have something sharp on the end that would cut the enemy. I'm not so sure the whips would be heavy, and they probably aren't very accurate. The class itself would eventually need a second weapon to be worth using in a real FE game, as a whip wouldn't be very dependable in many situations.

You are a genius for the llmas. How about buffalo?

I didn't know whips would be heavy, they seem light to me...
Overall

whips are light, however if your swinging something of that length with its weight you need alot of muscle, that translates into high weight.

and can't penetrate armour.

Whips break the sound barrier, thats why you hear a crack when they are used. Mabybe they should be half effective against armoured knights, other than that, whips hurt. Not to mention that they are commonly used for grappling weapons, wrapping around the victims ect. ect.( the reason I don't put disarm skill on them is because they would suck :D ) that translates into alot of enemy vulnerability which in FE translates into exra str. They are low might anyways.....

The class itself would eventually need a second weapon to be worth using in a real FE game, as a whip wouldn't be very dependable in many situations.

I thought about this. other than knvies(which really wouldn't help unless there was a Whip>standard>kives>whip weapon triangle) i couldn't think of any other weapon that would fit their class. However if such a triangle were to exist then knives would work. I thought that the auto 1~2 range would remedy this but...

the reason I don't put disarm skill on them is because they would suck :D

I'm thinking maybe of giving them a skill which allows them to disarm the enemy and obtain their weapon. is that too broken?

Truly an excellent idea. Why not create a topic for it?

Edited by Luminothe

Generally, IRL knives can hurt targets in heavy plate armour, since you can attack the joints where the plates of armour meet. However, even if the point of a whip was to hit a joint, it wouldn't penetrate. The same would go for chain mail or light armour.

This is because while the tip of a whip travels very fast, it still doesn't have much energy behind it because it's so light. It would do damage to an unarmored target, since it's strong and sharp enough to break the skin, but against metal? The energy would be dissipated without even a dent.

(I'd like to see firearms introduced before whips. They seem far more interesting, and it's also more realistic. I don't know if people have ever seriously tried to use whips in combat.)

(And of course, FE isn't supposed to be 100% realistic either, but I would be annoyed at such a blatant contradiction of what goes on IRL just so we can have an extra weapon type.)

So why do whips get 1~2 range while lances, which are generally ten to fifteen feet long, don't?

Also, I think that even a tough whip would be pretty terrible in combat due to the fact that any character with a sharp axe or sword could cut it in two, maybe even by accident if the whip-user is trying the kind of complicated techniques that would be required if he wanted to seriously encumber or hurt someone. Whips would also do no damage against characters with metal or inflexible armor and wouldn't be able to encumber strong characters.

So what purpose would whips serve? It was bad enough introducing knives to the game, introducing whips would be making the same mistake again. There's a reason that whips have never been used in serious fighting anywhere.

So why do whips get 1~2 range while lances, which are generally ten to fifteen feet long, don't?

Also, I think that even a tough whip would be pretty terrible in combat due to the fact that any character with a sharp axe or sword could cut it in two, maybe even by accident if the whip-user is trying the kind of complicated techniques that would be required if he wanted to seriously encumber or hurt someone. Whips would also do no damage against characters with metal or inflexible armor and wouldn't be able to encumber strong characters.

So what purpose would whips serve? It was bad enough introducing knives to the game, introducing whips would be making the same mistake again. There's a reason that whips have never been used in serious fighting anywhere.

I don't think Knives were a mistake. I think it was more to address the issue of Thieves using swords, when really they should be using knives. Since the two games with Knives (9 and 10) were both games where we got to see the user's weapon in the animation, it would look weird for them to be using a sword in the same style as a knife.

There's a reason that whips have never been used in serious fighting anywhere.

You would truly be surprised at how much damage a whp could do. I also highly doudt a whip would be cut into two if the whip in question was a barbed steel chain. It would grapple around the enemies axe/sword. Anyway, no one is adressing how whipmen would play.

And to answer the question about laces, I always wondered that myself.

I don't think Knives were a mistake. I think it was more to address the issue of Thieves using swords, when really they should be using knives. Since the two games with Knives (9 and 10) were both games where we got to see the user's weapon in the animation, it would look weird for them to be using a sword in the same style as a knife.

The animation was created after the weapon type was introduced, not the other way around.

I think it would have made more sense for thieves to use swords the way they always have, or even bows. It would even have been better if thieves were just noncombatants, like priests. Discounting the fact that many units in Fire Emblem are using armor, it doesn't make much sense to attack an enemy with a weapon that has less reach than the one he's using and a limited capability in damaging him!

You would truly be surprised at how much damage a whp could do. I also highly doudt a whip would be cut into two if the whip in question was a barbed steel chain. It would grapple around the enemies axe/sword. Anyway, no one is adressing how whipmen would play.

And to answer the question about laces, I always wondered that myself.

I'm not ignorant about whips. They can do a lot of damage, but not very much compared to a heavy axe and they could be easily blocked by leather armor, much less metal armor. I'm not sure how a steel whip would work, anyway. Even though the concept of a chain whip appears from time to time in fantasy and video games, it seems to me that such a thing couldn't be used to the same effectiveness as a leather one except by someone of superhuman strength. A fifteen to eighteen foot whip would take a lot of steel to make. And then I'm not even sure that the kind of damage a whip does could even kill someone, barring extreme luck or strangling.

As for range, I think that range two represents between about forty to eighty feet. Yes, it's kind of inconsistent for each title to represent 160 square feet considering only one character can stand in one at a time, but it would introduce even more inconsistency to give lances and whips two range without giving bows about six range.

The animation was created after the weapon type was introduced, not the other way around.

I think it would have made more sense for thieves to use swords the way they always have, or even bows. It would even have been better if thieves were just noncombatants, like priests. Discounting the fact that many units in Fire Emblem are using armor, it doesn't make much sense to attack an enemy with a weapon that has less reach than the one he's using and a limited capability in damaging him!

I wouldn't mind if thieves were noncombatants, but I think they can be allowed to carry a small knife (otherwise, they'd need to get a lot more exp from stealing!) But a sword or a bow would be too cumbersome. And it doesn't make much sense for them to use a small, weak weapon in combat, but thieves wouldn't want to get into a direct fight against a soldier anyway. They don't intend to get into a fight, just steal stuff and run away. But the knife is there so that they can hit a priest or mage or something.

Regarding the new Whip class, this seems quite interesting, but I'm not sure if all Whips should have 1-2 range. I think maybe the SS-Rank (this is based off of RD I noticed) and the S-Rank should be two-range. Overall, I like the idea. It is very creative.

I wouldn't mind if thieves were noncombatants, but I think they can be allowed to carry a small knife (otherwise, they'd need to get a lot more exp from stealing!) But a sword or a bow would be too cumbersome. And it doesn't make much sense for them to use a small, weak weapon in combat, but thieves wouldn't want to get into a direct fight against a soldier anyway. They don't intend to get into a fight, just steal stuff and run away. But the knife is there so that they can hit a priest or mage or something.

I still think it would be better to give thieves a real weapon. Not all thieves are little kids who have trouble handling them, and those thieves' particular situation is already represented well enough by the Con and weapon weight system.

Thieves in Fire Emblem are experts at breaking into things and taking enemies' items and money, but before everything else they're fighting members of the Lord's retinue. If they weren't you wouldn't be able to control them and to make them give up the items they take. I take back what I said earlier about thieves as noncombatants, that would only work for enemy and NPC thieves and it would be easy enough to deal with that case simply by not arming them.

Edited by FreeKnt

I still think it would be better to give thieves a real weapon. Not all thieves are little kids who have trouble handling them, and those thieves' particular situation is already represented well enough by the Con and weapon weight system.

Thieves in Fire Emblem are experts at breaking into things and taking enemies' items and money, but before everything else they're fighting members of the Lord's retinue. If they weren't you wouldn't be able to control them and to make them give up the items they take. I take back what I said earlier about thieves as noncombatants, that would only work for enemy and NPC thieves and it would be easy enough to deal with that case simply by not arming them.

My point isn't that Thieves wouldn't be able to wield them effectively, but rather that if you're trying to hide and avoid enemies (what a thief should do), you'd rather not carry a bulky sword or bow around.

And just because they're working for the Lord doesn't mean they need to fight. Priests and Dancers don't fight, but Lords bring them along anyway because they provide valuable services. The same goes for tacticians or Merlinus or whoever, so why doesn't it apply to thieves? I can see Sothe fighting, because he's part of the DB, but what about Matthew, a spy?

Y'know, if you do some research on whips, you'll find that whips are considered both meelee and ranged weapons. ALso, the reason whip can be used as a ranged weapon is becuase they are flexible and versatile.

you should turn this more into a special effect class, with the ability to stun enemies for two turns 1-2 range. Maybe also be able to use the whip in combat, idk, with a skill where you can get rid of the enemy's weapon.