Looking for something to play

General Spoon

How about a Fire Emblem game? Most people haven't beaten them all yet.

Or failing that, what about Dragon Quest VI? It's on the SNES, not likely to be remade and localized within the next two years and has a very good translation patch out for download. If you don't have a DS it's also worth checking out Dragon Quest V, though the graphics aren't as flashy in that one.

But maybe you like flashy graphics. So how about Golden Sun? It's a single story told over two games and well worth your time if you didn't play them back around when they came out on the GBA. They're pretty unlikely to be remade or get a sequel in the next few years. Also on the GBA with pretty graphics is the Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap, which didn't get too much exposure when it came out and is a fun game, albeit on the short side. With a GBA emulator you can also play three other Zelda games, Link's Awakening which is maybe the best in the franchise and the Oracles games which are still pretty good. Dragon Quest I, II and III are also open to you if you like RPGs.

But those are all GameBoy games. It might be you prefer 3D. With a PlayStation emulator, there are three Final Fantasy games open for you as well as the notorious Dragon Quest VII. Xenogears is another good, very long RPG for the PlayStation. I've never played it, but Tear Ring Saga is also on that system if you don't mind playing in pure Japanese. Final Fantasy Tactics is also technically an SRPG and worth checking out at least. Over on the N64 a very similar game is Ogre Battle 64. The N64 also has some classics that it should be possible to enjoy fully without a controller like Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards and Paper Mario. Then there's always a personal favorite that most people hate, Aidyn Chronicles: The First Mage. It's one of the few American-made RPGs of its time as well as one of the few RPGs on the N64.

Your options on the PS1 and N64 are expanded even more if you have a controller, but I think I'll leave it here.

How about a Fire Emblem game? Most people haven't beaten them all yet.

I have.

Or failing that, what about Dragon Quest VI? It's on the SNES, not likely to be remade and localized within the next two years and has a very good translation patch out for download. If you don't have a DS it's also worth checking out Dragon Quest V, though the graphics aren't as flashy in that one.

I'm making a note about this.

But maybe you like flashy graphics. So how about Golden Sun? It's a single story told over two games and well worth your time if you didn't play them back around when they came out on the GBA. They're pretty unlikely to be remade or get a sequel in the next few years. Also on the GBA with pretty graphics is the Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap, which didn't get too much exposure when it came out and is a fun game, albeit on the short side. With a GBA emulator you can also play three other Zelda games, Link's Awakening which is maybe the best in the franchise and the Oracles games which are still pretty good. Dragon Quest I, II and III are also open to you if you like RPGs.

I've played all those barring the Dragon Quest games. Also, I'm glad somebody else feels this way about Link's Awakening.

But those are all GameBoy games. It might be you prefer 3D. With a PlayStation emulator, there are three Final Fantasy games open for you as well as the notorious Dragon Quest VII. Xenogears is another good, very long RPG for the PlayStation. I've never played it, but Tear Ring Saga is also on that system if you don't mind playing in pure Japanese. Final Fantasy Tactics is also technically an SRPG and worth checking out at least. Over on the N64 a very similar game is Ogre Battle 64. The N64 also has some classics that it should be possible to enjoy fully without a controller like Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards and Paper Mario. Then there's always a personal favorite that most people hate, Aidyn Chronicles: The First Mage. It's one of the few American-made RPGs of its time as well as one of the few RPGs on the N64.

Your options on the PS1 and N64 are expanded even more if you have a controller, but I think I'll leave it here.

I don't have a PS emulator at the moment, and I don't feel like going through all the trouble of getting one working right now.

Shadowgate.

I'm stuck in the second room. You know, the one you get to after opening that door.

EDIT: It took three tries, but I finally managed to set myself on fire.

EDIT: Aha! The first key is mine!

Edited by General Spoon

Mario and Luigi SuperstarSaga (GBA) good RPG game or if you have a DS emulator you can get Mario and Luigi Partners in Time

Etrain Odyssey 2 (DS) Its enjoyable if you like old school dungeon crawler and its really difficult.

Phoenix Wrights series (DS) Great game only if you don't mind reading a lot of text.

Touhou series (Freeware games) if you are into bullet hell vertical shooters if not you can try the fighting games. The shooters can be found Here and the fighters can be found Here

Edited by Patchouli

Phoenix Wrights series (DS) Great game only if you don't mind reading a lot of text.

You punk! I was just gonna post those.

(first case of the first game comes out on WiiWare next week btw.)

Chrono Trigger (if you havent already)

Mother 3

I finished Shadowgate. It was fun. I died so many times I lost count. Also of note was my fight with the cyclops. I first thing I did was use the sling on him, being reminded of David and Goliath. What I didn't expect was my character to shout "Death to the Philistine!"

I think I'll try Etrain Odyssey now.

If you're a Fire Emblem player then you probably have heard of Advance Wars. Try it if you have not already (I can't say anything on how good it is myself, but I hear the majority that like Fire Emblem like Advance Wars).

There's also all the Final Fantasys that have ever been released and the Tales of series. (I'm a RPG junkie).

If you want to burn your life time away, there's always......MMO's :facepalm:

If you're a Fire Emblem player then you probably have heard of Advance Wars. Try it if you have not already (I can't say anything on how good it is myself, but I hear the majority that like Fire Emblem like Advance Wars).

There's also all the Final Fantasys that have ever been released and the Tales of series. (I'm a RPG junkie).

I've played Advance Wars before. And I hate MMO's, so don't worry.

I've played Advance Wars before. And I hate MMO's, so don't worry.

Holy crap, how could I forget the game where my name comes from...I deserve punishment of the most extreme... :facepalm:

Play The World Ends With You for the NDS if you have not already.

*Goes to corner and proceeds to slowly torture himself*

Edited by Sho Minamimoto

Play The World Ends With You for the NDS if you have not already.

*Goes to corner and proceeds to slowly torture himself*

SUBARASHIKI KONO SEKAI~!!!

This. A thousand times this.

If you want a pretty fun tactical game, you can try the freeware Battle for Wesnoth. Be warned, though-it may look something like Fire Emblem, but the ebb and flow of the game is totally different, so don't be surprised when your strategies don't work... at all.

Also, Tyrian is pretty much the most beast curtain shooter ever.

Edited by Admrial Daala

And I hate MMO's, so don't worry.

Good man.

If you want a pretty fun tactical game, you can try the freeware Battle for Wesnoth. Be warned, though-it may look something like Fire Emblem, but the ebb and flow of the game is totally different, so don't be surprised when your strategies don't work... at all.

Yes, if anything it's more like Advance Wars, except a lot more random. The highest accuracy rating you'll ever see for attacks during a normal game is 70%, and the most common is 60%. It's still a good suggestion. My real reason for quoting this post is to say that Wesnoth is the kind of thing where we could organize some games online if a few people here show interest.

Originally I thought this topic wasn't for PC games. I have a lot of things I could suggest if that category is included, but I won't go to the trouble unless you want. I think that if you take all the suggestions here you'll have enough on your plate in terms of games for a long time.

I finished Shadowgate. It was fun. I died so many times I lost count. Also of note was my fight with the cyclops. I first thing I did was use the sling on him, being reminded of David and Goliath. What I didn't expect was my character to shout "Death to the Philistine!"

Which version did you play?

Also, if you liked it you should go check out the sequel: Shadowgate 64. I haven't played it yet but it should be good.

Which version did you play?

Also, if you liked it you should go check out the sequel: Shadowgate 64. I haven't played it yet but it should be good.

I played the NES version.

You could try Earthbound on the SNES, its gameplay is pretty unremarkable, but it is extremely funny as far as a RPG goes.

Or you can try playing Yume Nikki. Earthbound's evil maso-sadistic sister that isn't related in any way on the PC, its as creepy and disturbing as earthbound is funny. You might need a patch unless you're Japanese though and a strategy guide too...

Edited by Brighton

• 2 weeks later...