Sothe

So my Sothe is level 1 at chapter 17, and I really don't feel like baby/bexp-ing him up to 20. But, my friend keeps telling me to do it because *he has AWESOME growths*, but most of all - that his stat caps carry over to Radiant Dawn. I'm planning on playing Radiant Dawn, do I use him? Also, is it also too late to train my level 1 Astrid as well?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Astrid has Paragon but it MIGHT be too late.

lols to Sothe. effort ≠ results. His growths, especially with Blossom, might be impressive, but his bases are FAR from it; same base STR as Ike, lower base SPD than Kieran, lower base DEF than Mia, and is stuck to knives.

So no, it isn't worth the trouble.

Exactly, it's not like your lost in FE10 if you didn't transfer his stats either. Unless you're a Stat Junkie and just want to see every stat cap and see glowie green.

Exactly, it's not like your lost in FE10 if you didn't transfer his stats either. Unless you're a Stat Junkie and just want to see every stat cap and see glowie green.

thats easily accomplishable without a transfer for a lot of chars, Jill and Eadie can do it relitivly easy.

lols to Sothe. effort ≠ results. His growths, especially with Blossom, might be impressive, but his bases are FAR from it; same base STR as Ike, lower base SPD than Kieran, lower base DEF than Mia, and is stuck to knives.

What good is paragon? This is FE9: skills are gone once removed.

Never mind, you were talking about Astrid, a.k.a the third or fourth worst unit in the game. She's not getting good even with a str/skl/spd/def transfer. Don't bother.

And, a simple answer is: no. Train other units for transfers instead. Jill, Ike, Zihark, Mia, Gatrie, and Neph are all excellent candidates.

Edited by Randomly Predictable

Sothe's horrendously underlevelled, has very thiefy bases, uses lolknives and doesn't even promote. No growths are going to make him good for combat. He's only good for thief utility. As for transfers, he just isn't getting his stats higher than his FE10 bases without heavy BEXP abuse. Let's have a look at his averages with Blossom:

FE9 average lv20 HP is 32.67. FE10 base is 35. Nothing there.

FE9 strength is 16.61. FE10 base is 18. Still nothing.

FE9 magic is 3.11. FE10 base is 4. Nope.

FE9 skill is 20, capped. FE10 base is 20. Pfeh.

FE9 speed is 20, capped. FE10 base is 20. See skill.

FE9 luck is 16.61. FE10 base is 15. One point...

FE9 defence is 11.39. FE10 base is 14. Nothing.

FE9 resistance is 6.33. FE10 base is 9. Yet again, nothing.

If you like resetting a lot, you can get FE10 Sothe a maximum of:

39 HP, 40 with a robe. Four or five extra points.

20 strength. Two extra points. Helps him cap quickly, but it caps before you would be willing to BEXP wash him anyway.

15 magic. Eleven extra points, handy for Imbue and bonus experience. I think FE10 Sothe caps here, too.

20 skill. Equal to his base anyway.

20 speed. Base.

24 luck. I like how it's impossible for him to reach his luck cap of 40 without eight Ashera Icons. Nine points. Good for avoid, I guess?

20 defence. Six extra points. Suddenly, he's become a durable unit.

15 resistance. Eleven extra points becomes six thanks to his cap. He can now do things like clear out the mages at the south of the map in 1-5. Uh, great. His resistance growth is good anyway.

In the end, Sothe is only good for his thief utility in FE9 unless you want to spend a fair while with your bonus experience, resetting and waiting for the RNG to bless you. Then save, and do it eighteen more times.

As for starting to train Astrid at ch17, I would imagine it's fine if you're on EM and don't mind slowing your team's growth for a chapter or two until you promote her. Though it'd still take plenty of potshots. NM... maybe. HM, I'd say it's too late.

Never mind, you were talking about Astrid, a.k.a the third or fourth worst unit in the game. She's not getting good even with a str/skl/spd/def transfer.

The evidence of this guy wanting to train Astrid for a transfer... I do not see it. Astrid's a brilliant unit in FE9, regardless of what happened to her during those three years afterwards. Unless this is a run being done specifically for transfers, using Astrid is a sane course of action.

Remember kids, weed is bad for you. It ruins your bases.

Edited by Naglfar

lols to Sothe. effort ≠ results. His growths, especially with Blossom, might be impressive, but his bases are FAR from it; same base STR as Ike, lower base SPD than Kieran, lower base DEF than Mia, and is stuck to knives.

Never mind, you were talking about Astrid, a.k.a the third or fourth worst unit in the game. She's not getting good even with a str/skl/spd/def transfer. Don't bother.

And, a simple answer is: no. Train other units for transfers instead. Jill, Ike, Zihark, Mia, Gatrie, and Neph are all excellent candidates.

Thanks for the answers so far, but one more question. I heard Jill can defect after meeting her Dad, but I don't have good supports with her right now, so all I have to do is not use her that chapter for her to not defect, right?

Thanks for the answers so far, but one more question. I heard Jill can defect after meeting her Dad, but I don't have good supports with her right now, so all I have to do is not use her that chapter for her to not defect, right?

The A Mist support is not hard to get. If you're in chapter 15 or earlier, you still have time to finish the A support even if you haven't started. Also, all you need to do is keep her from attacking or talking to her father. Also keep her at least 6 squares away. If you do all that, it should be possible to still bring her to the chapter. Of course, not bringing her is the only surefire way if you don't have an A Mist or B Lethe support.

Merlinus: You know Sothe's FE10 tier 2 Res cap is only 15 right? Even if you got 20 RES in FE9, it still goes down to the FE10 cap.

That's the only way without supports, or keeping Jill up near the starting area (or at least the west end of the map). Fair enough, since she'd be good to take out the reinforcements that come from up there.

Of course, not bringing her is the only surefire way if you don't have an A Mist or B Lethe support.

Merlinus: You know Sothe's FE10 tier 2 Res cap is only 15 right? Even if you got 20 RES in FE9, it still goes down to the FE10 cap.

I thought it was B Mist or A Lethe?

Screw you, I'm not Merlinus. D:

But fixed anyway. That's what, six edits now? Seven?

Edited by Naglfar

Screw you, I'm not Merlinus. D:

But fixed anyway. That's what, six edits now? Seven?

Super sorry about that. I apologize deeply - for some reason, I read the quote name embedded in 4ED's post and misattributed your post to him. I'm sorry... :(

And I'm pretty sure it has to be A Mist or B Lethe. If memory serves, you can't even get an A Lethe by chapter 20.

Edited by Randomly Predictable

As if 9 Atk were any useful =P

Well, Sothe is pretty useless in Por, and in RD he's worse than useless. He damages the team.

Edited by Soul

Actually, Gatrie is a pretty bad choice to transfer because it just means he caps his stats even faster, which means... well, you just ending up crowning him a chapter early. Rolf or Marcia are better choices - Rolf getting STR/SPD makes him much better in RD, and Marcia also wants STR/SPD so she can start doubling straight away with the Steel Greatlance.

Two Words: Fuck. Sothe.

He's a complete chore to use. He's the only character whose stats directly transfer so if you get him to lvl20 and he doesn't cap all stats, his RD version may actually suffer.

Transfer bonuses are overrated anyway. Characters like Nephenee, Gatrie, Haar, etc. are awesome without them. Using transfers on them will just make them super awesome or whatever. Well, maybe transfers help in HM, but EM and NM, transfers are completely unnecessary.

And getting many characters to 20/20 is such a pain. I can usually manage 4-5 with the usual suspects being Ike, Mia, and Boyd with a special guest as no. 4. And Mia capping strength doesn't do much since she still won't kill everything right away when she you first use her in RD.

I don't usually bother with transfer bonuses. My prime reason for transferring files is completeing my support convo library than enjoying bonuses.

Though I will say this. My latest PoR PT has an Astrid that capped hp, str, def, spd, and res. So it might actually be interesting to see these carry over to an RD PT. Maybe she might not suck so bad!

He's a complete chore to use. He's the only character whose stats directly transfer so if you get him to lvl20 and he doesn't cap all stats, his RD version may actually suffer.

Transfer bonuses are overrated anyway. Characters like Nephenee, Gatrie, Haar, etc. are awesome without them. Using transfers on them will just make them super awesome or whatever. Well, maybe transfers help in HM, but EM and NM, transfers are completely unnecessary.

And getting many characters to 20/20 is such a pain. I can usually manage 4-5 with the usual suspects being Ike, Mia, and Boyd with a special guest as no. 4. And Mia capping strength doesn't do much since she still won't kill everything right away when she you first use her in RD.

I don't usually bother with transfer bonuses. My prime reason for transferring files is completeing my support convo library than enjoying bonuses.

Though I will say this. My latest PoR PT has an Astrid that capped hp, str, def, spd, and res. So it might actually be interesting to see these carry over to an RD PT. Maybe she might not suck so bad!

Generally, people transfer from EM PoR, which is pretty generous with the EXP - you could probably get 15 people to level 20, maybe even more!

And on HM definitely, a lot of people want transfers. Jill, Marcia and Neph are all weighed down by their weapons when they join, so they're actually getting +4SPD. Rolf starts doubling much faster, so do Soren and Boyd, the CRKs are doubling as soon as they appear. And there are many characters that don't get transfers that really want them anyway. If Lucia got HP/SKL/SPD/RES transfers, she'd cap 4 out of 8 stats after one level of BEXP, and if you fed her 5 more levels of BEXP, she'd cap STR in second tier!

Generally, people transfer from EM PoR, which is pretty generous with the EXP - you could probably get 15 people to level 20, maybe even more!

Ah, yeah, that would be easier to get many to 20/20 on EM. But I can't transfer EM files because I have one of the earlier RD discs that causes that data freeze and I don't feel like sending my disc across the country to Nintendo HQ to get it fixed (is that even still offered?).

Maybe that's why I don't care for transfer bonuses. Because I'm stuck playing NM/HM only and can't enjoy getting many characters to maxed stats. So my attitude is pretty much "sour grapes." :(

.....nah, It's because transfer bonuses are overrated. Definitely :awesome: .

With a little bit of abuse, I got 14 characters + Giffca to 20/20 on NM PoR, so I see no reason why 18-20 is not unreasonable. Of course, of those 14, 5 of them (Soren, Ilyana, Mist, Rhys, and Elincia) were primarily getting staff EXP. I too have the bug that requires that all transfers must be NM or HM, but on EM, I don't see why you can't easily get 18+ units to transfer. You've got 50% more BEXP and more CEXP as well. Sothe only needs to gain 19 levels, Geoffrey needs effectively only 4, and Astrid effectively needs 19 as well (of course, Geoff is only getting spd at best, but still). Anyway, when I get home this afternoon from school, I'll post exactly what transfers I did get on NM, which should give a rough idea on what is possible. On EM, expect even more to be feasible.

RFEE01-1.png

Transferred via PoR HM, no reset abuse either.

inb4PEMN

Good lord!!! How did...just..how..

Seriously though, raising Sothe in PoR isnt really worth it unless you really want something like that above image. (really, how how how?)

RFEE01-1.png

Transferred via PoR HM, no reset abuse either.

inb4PEMN

Good lord!!! How did...just..how..

Seriously though, raising Sothe in PoR isnt really worth it unless you really want something like that above image. (really, how how how?)

It's all luck.

How important is character transfer anyway? I want to transfer, but don't really want to end up using the exact same team on Radiant Dawn as Path of Radiance. I understand I can choose not to use the stronger character... but it's hard. You know? :/