Pokemon Gold/Silver tier list

Blademaster!

So, I got kinda bored and decided to make a efficiency tier list for the original gold and silver versions of pokemon before the U.S. release of pokemon

heart gold/soul silver. Right now, I have only just categorized the Pokemon into their respective tiers, so the list is not in a true order. The rules I used were as follows:

1. A team must always consist of 6 Pokemon whose levels are in a range of being at least two levels lower than the lowest level pokemon of the current gymleader and being a max of two levels over the highest level pokemon of the current gym. The exception is with the 7th gym where the level limit from the 6th gym is carried over.

2. Trading pokemon is NOT allowed (because it can add in so many different variables and such). At the moment, I also made this list keeping in mind the fact that pokemon who can only evolve by means of trading are not really factored in, but if I did factor that in, it would only cause me to move Ghastly up (since Gengar can learn all three elemental punches) and add Scizor and Steelix as separate entities since they both vastly differ from their previous forms.

3. Things that are considered a positive towards how good a pokemon is are things like their movesets, stats, how they fair against Gym Leaders, Team Rocket, Silver, and the elite four (since almost all other trainers are optional). How rare a pokemon is also contributes towards how good of a pokemon they are. Something else that affects how usefull a pokemon is are things like how easy or hard the pokemon is to train.

4. The chance tier was made because the pokemon found in this tier will generally only be found and caught by chance, and when one factors in when you can catch them because of this reason (especial in the case of the legendary dogs) they can go all over the place in the list.

5. Pokemon breeding and IV/EV training is NOT assumed in any way, shape, or form.

6. The list is only meant to go up to you beating the elite four for the first time which is why the Kanto only/Unobtainable tier exists.

7. What HM's a pokemon can use are also fairly important, particualarly the use of the HM's Surf, strength, fly, and waterfall as flash is entirely optional and cut and whirlpool only need to be used once to beat the game.

8. Pokemon are named by there first forms so that I don't have to name evolved forms and also because you are most likely to initially capture said pokemon in these forms.

Here is the list:

Top Tier

Geodude

Onix

Red Gyarados

Abra

Scyther

Cyndaquil

Lapras

Totodile

High Tier

Eevee(Espeon)

Eevee(Umbreon)

Spearow

Pidgey

Zubat

Tentacool

Mareep

Magmar

Rattata

Magikarp

Drowzee

Nidoran F

Nidoran M

Sudowoodo

Magnemite

Tauros

Lugia

Ho-Oh

Mid Tier

Staryu

Growlithe

Oddish

Bellsprout

Poliwag

Sentret

Caterpie

Wooper

Sandshrew

Slowpoke

Pineco

Heracross

Dratini

Pinsir

Koffing

Mankey

Machop

Girafarig

Snubbull

Miltank

Chinchou

Mantine

Jynx

Skarmory

Hitmonchan

Hitmontop

Hitmonlee

Low Tier

Vulpix

Shellder

Hoothoot

Weedle

Ledyba

Chikorita

Natu

Ekans

Paras

Exeggcute

Goldeen

Aipom

Ditto

Krabby

Venonat

Stantler

Shuckle

Farfetch'd

Meowth

Corsola

Seel

Horsea

Voltorb

Lickitung

Swinub

Phanpy

Teddiursa

Gligar

Wobuffet

Rhyhorn

Bottom Tier

Jigglypuff

Spinarak

Smeargle

Unknown

Hoppip

Sunkern

Marill

Tangela

Delibird

Ponyta

Doduo

Chance tier

Quilfish

Remoraid

Raikou

Entei

Suicune

Yanma

Dunsparce

Kanto only/Unobtainable tier

Bulbasaur

Charmander

Squirtle

Pikachu

Clefairy

Diglet

Grimer

Cubone

Kangaskhan

Mr. Mime

Electabuzz

Porygon

Omanyte

Kabuto

Aerodactly

Snorlax

Articuno

Zapdos

Moltres

Mewtwo

Mew

Murkrow

Misdreavus

Sneasel

Slugma

Houndour

Larvitar

Celebi

I believe I have every pokemon family in this list; if I am missing one, please tell me.

Magikarp and the Red Gyarados are seperate on the list because Magikarp can be fairly annoying to train, and the RG joins you as early as having had beaten the 4th gym and joins you at lvl 30 should you catch it.

Geodude and it's evolved form(s) are CLEARLY the Seth's of Pokemon gold and silver. It has an advantage against the first two gym leaders, is resistant to the third gym leader, preforms very well against the fourth gym leader (since all the pokemon he uses are essentially poison type), yet again preforms very well against the Sixth gym leader, and can get into iffy territory when fighting the the seventh gym leader. Team Rocket mostly uses poison type pokemon or Zubat, so yet again there exists another advantage. A couple of the pokemon the the elite four use are weak against either rock or ground type moves, especially lance who only has flying type pokemon.

Remember! The list is not in order, just organized into categories. I hope that at the very least it looks somewhat good, as I know more about pokemon than Fire Emblem.

So yeah..... If you have any comments, questions, or complaints, speak your mind.

Edited by Blademaster!

What the heck are you thinking with that Geodude tier? His 4x weaknesses mean that he'll be sitting out on almost as many battles as he'll be excelling in. I definitely see him somewhere in top tier, but his own special tier is too much, especially considering he can't evolve to golem for the purposes of this list.

Keep in mind also that Geodude's powerful early game doesn't mean as much in Pokemon as it would in Fire Emblem. In Pokemon G/S starting out is the easy part, and it's the fights at the end that stretch you to the limit (if you don't grind). Geodude is helpful to have early on, but he's scarcely a Marcus or a Seth. And Geodude is replaceable later on in the game.

Other than that your list made sense. There were a couple of things that also struck me as wrong when I first looked it over, but upon further investigation you seem to placed them correctly.

Edited by Hero

While they should find ways to make the game harder(I mean, I could whip up a hard mode concept in like, 10 seconds, and there's little excuse after the Platinum Elite 4 rematches), I'll at least partake.

Due to the set up of gyms, I'd probably put Cyndaquil higher. I mean, with grass type being weak to the first two gyms and fire providing, at the very least, a noteworthy advantage, it's worth noting. The first gym based pokemon you'd probably have trouble with his Milktank, and if not, then Poliwrath at gym 5. Water provides no real advantage, either, and as far as stat set ups go, all three are rather average. Geodude's use in the first and third gym doesn't quite help with such a late evolution and while it's rather easy to trade Graveler to get Golem, using trading really does make this less than worthless as a list. Rock otherwise is a terrible type, and I'm not sure using him as an HM whore really helps his usefulness.

Geodude Tier? Really? He is pretty good against the first few Gyms though... And remember that he said that this list supposes that you're training 6 dudes, so either you grind like mad, either you're underleveled. So Geodude's pretty clutch for the first three Gyms, since he's the Rock-type with the most ATK you have.

And I don't see why Oddish is so High. For the Status Powders? Butterfree is muuuuuch better for that. Plus, Endgame Vileplume is pretty bad since Grass moves suck in G/C since the best ones you have are Giga Drain (poor base power and PP), Petal Dance (locks you in and then confuses you) or Solarbeam (1 turn charge). Poison moves are Physical, and Swords Dance requires Trading/Breeding. Bellsprout is faster, hits harder early with STAB Vine Whip and laso has the Status Powders. Besides, Grass types are pretty screwed in GSC since Falkner will rape Grass-types with Pidgeotto, Bugsy's Scyther rips through Grass dudes, Whitney's Milktank will simply overpower them with Rollout, Morty's guys are Poison so good luck Damaging them. Grass types don't really pay off until Chuck's Poliwrath IMO.

Lapras also looks kinda high. I mean, any decent Water Type can OHKO Lance's stuff with Ice Beam and Surf (Aerodactyl will prolly get a hit in first though since he's fast and everything, but a pure Water type doesn't isn't weak against Rock Slide and Lapras isn't that fast either). And he forces you to waste time and backtrack a lot IIRC.

What the heck are you thinking with that Geodude tier? His 4x weaknesses mean that he'll be sitting out on almost as many battles as he'll be excelling in. I definitely see him somewhere in top tier, but his own special tier is too much, especially considering he can't evolve to golem for the purposes of this list.

Keep in mind also that Geodude's powerful early game doesn't mean as much in Pokemon as it would in Fire Emblem. In Pokemon G/S starting out is the easy part, and it's the fights at the end that stretch you to the limit (if you don't grind). Geodude is helpful to have early on, but he's scarcely a Marcus or a Seth. And Geodude is replaceable later on in the game.

Other than that your list made sense. There were a couple of things that also struck me as wrong when I first looked it over, but upon further investigation you seem to placed them correctly.

Geodude's 4x weakness only occurs when battling grass or water type pokemon, and there aren't all that many trainers that use grass type pokemon, though there are quite a lot that use water type pokemon. The fact still remains that Geodude learns rock and ground type moves naturally (and fairly fast too) and pretty much beats every gym and team rocket member fairly easily. Geodude can also be caught extremely early in the game, possibly even being the first pokemon you catch.

While they should find ways to make the game harder(I mean, I could whip up a hard mode concept in like, 10 seconds, and there's little excuse after the Platinum Elite 4 rematches), I'll at least partake.

Due to the set up of gyms, I'd probably put Cyndaquil higher. I mean, with grass type being weak to the first two gyms and fire providing, at the very least, a noteworthy advantage, it's worth noting. The first gym based pokemon you'd probably have trouble with his Milktank, and if not, then Poliwrath at gym 5. Water provides no real advantage, either, and as far as stat set ups go, all three are rather average. Geodude's use in the first and third gym doesn't quite help with such a late evolution and while it's rather easy to trade Graveler to get Golem, using trading really does make this less than worthless as a list. Rock otherwise is a terrible type, and I'm not sure using him as an HM whore really helps his usefulness.

I'm going to move Cyndaquil up and magmar down. The advantage that Totodile has is the fact that he can learn surf and ice punch by the 4th gym.

I don't see how Geodude has a late evolution when it evolves at lvl 25, which is about average when compared to every other pokemon. And I don't see how Geodude can't be all that useful against the first and third Gym considering that he learns rock throw at level 11, has high defense and attack, and is resistant to probably every move any pokemon will use in the first or third gym, with the exception of mudslap, but even that only deals 40 damage and pidgeotto is dealing 60 damage with gust to any of your other pokemon at the time (if not more).

Geodude Tier? Really? He is pretty good against the first few Gyms though... And remember that he said that this list supposes that you're training 6 dudes, so either you grind like mad, either you're underleveled. So Geodude's pretty clutch for the first three Gyms, since he's the Rock-type with the most ATK you have.

And I don't see why Oddish is so High. For the Status Powders? Butterfree is muuuuuch better for that. Plus, Endgame Vileplume is pretty bad since Grass moves suck in G/C since the best ones you have are Giga Drain (poor base power and PP), Petal Dance (locks you in and then confuses you) or Solarbeam (1 turn charge). Poison moves are Physical, and Swords Dance requires Trading/Breeding. Bellsprout is faster, hits harder early with STAB Vine Whip and laso has the Status Powders. Besides, Grass types are pretty screwed in GSC since Falkner will rape Grass-types with Pidgeotto, Bugsy's Scyther rips through Grass dudes, Whitney's Milktank will simply overpower them with Rollout, Morty's guys are Poison so good luck Damaging them. Grass types don't really pay off until Chuck's Poliwrath IMO.

Lapras also looks kinda high. I mean, any decent Water Type can OHKO Lance's stuff with Ice Beam and Surf (Aerodactyl will prolly get a hit in first though since he's fast and everything, but a pure Water type doesn't isn't weak against Rock Slide and Lapras isn't that fast either). And he forces you to waste time and backtrack a lot IIRC.

Oddish and Bellsprout are the only decent grass types in G/S. The only reason why I put Vileplume above Victrebell is because Gloom will learn Moonlight and Petal Dance (your only real decent grass type move in this game, even if it does cause confusion) along with being able to do everything Victrebell can do. Bugsy's scyther only knows three moves; fury cutter, quick attack, and leer, so he isn't really ripping through bellsprout and oddish. I should probably lower both of them, or at least oddish.

Ice Beam isn't a TM in G/S, but I will still lower Lapras (Ice punch is though). It does have a very nice move pool which is why I kept it so high up (Body slam, surf, icce beam, confuse ray, perish song, and rain dance I believe).

Geodude's 4x weakness only occurs when battling grass or water type pokemon, and there aren't all that many trainers that use grass type pokemon, though there are quite a lot that use water type pokemon. The fact still remains that Geodude learns rock and ground type moves naturally (and fairly fast too) and pretty much beats every gym and team rocket member fairly easily. Geodude can also be caught extremely early in the game, possibly even being the first pokemon you catch.

However, Geodude cannot be trained in Sprout Tower, except on the few Hoothoots the Trainers tend to pack (and a few wild Rats). The Bellsprouts will whip him. He does get a trainer before Violet City (1 with Caterpie/Caterpie/Weedle IIRC), assuming you catch him in the Tunnel thing.

I'm going to move Cyndaquil up and magmar down. The advantage that Totodile has is the fact that he can learn surf and ice punch by the 4th gym.

And he's got Bite at Level 21, which beats the snot out of Morty.

Oddish and Bellsprout are the only decent grass types in G/S. The only reason why I put Vileplume above Victrebell is because Gloom will learn Moonlight and Petal Dance (your only real decent grass type move in this game, even if it does cause confusion) along with being able to do everything Victrebell can do. Bugsy's scyther only knows three moves; fury cutter, quick attack, and leer, so he isn't really ripping through bellsprout and oddish. I should probably lower both of them, or at least oddish.

Ice Beam isn't a TM in G/S, but I will still lower Lapras (Ice punch is though). It does have a very nice move pool which is why I kept it so high up (Body slam, surf, icce beam, confuse ray, perish song, and rain dance I believe).

Sure, Oddish and Bellsprout are probably the best Grass-types you can get (I personnally prefer Exeggutor, even if he comes a bit late, and Earthquake!Meganium is awesome). But Grass types in general aren't useful. Their type coverage isn't good other than Quagsire. Anything else is better covered by other types (Electric + Water) that usually better guys can have access to (Thunderpunch + Surf).

Edited by catastrophe_2

I don't see how Geodude has a late evolution when it evolves at lvl 25, which is about average when compared to every other pokemon. And I don't see how Geodude can't be all that useful against the first and third Gym considering that he learns rock throw at level 11, has high defense and attack, and is resistant to probably every move any pokemon will use in the first or third gym, with the exception of mudslap, but even that only deals 40 damage and pidgeotto is dealing 60 damage with gust to any of your other pokemon at the time (if not more).

25 is a late evolution - almost all of the early catachable pokemon will see an evolution by level 20 - some will see close to two by 25.

Oh, and your damage calculator is suck and fail. While I may not have a damage calculator for Gold and Silver, in this gen the match up of a maxed out Special attack Pidgeotto vs. a poor based special defense Chikorita at level 5 is *31*. I know that in gen 2, the attack was based on his attack stat and that special defense IVs were harder to come by, but when I say Geodude isn't useful in the first gym, I mean he isn't useful. I mean, you'd have to pick Chikorita, flee every battle and never catch a pokemon to even be in a position of needing Geodude.

Since when does Falkner's Pidgeotto use special attack? Gust and mudslap are physical attacks in gen 2.

And how can Geodude be bad in the first gym? All attacks used against him in the first gym are not very effective against him, with the exception of mudslap, and even should mudslap be used against him, Pidgeotto using gust will deal more damage to any of the pokemon on your team when compared to mudslap. And if Geodude knows rock throw, than he can easily destroy the first gym.

Also, I wasn't using a damage calculator. I was using the base attack stat of the moves. Mudslap is a 20 damaging attack and becomes 40 when super effective. Gust is 40 damage and becomes 60 damage with a STAB bonus.

Also, you do know you can catch Geodude before you even reach dark cave right?

How do you have a tier list for pokemon?

It should be more like a tier list for each gym

You say that as if you completely change your team for every gym

Edit: Also, don't you think your Pokemon are gonna gain levels while fighting the 7th gym's trainers? And I forget, doesn't the team rocket base come before the 7th gym?

Edit 2: Oh yeah, the max for Olivine is like 37

Edited by Hikarusa

Also, I wasn't using a damage calculator. I was using the base attack stat of the moves. Mudslap is a 20 damaging attack and becomes 40 when super effective. Gust is 40 damage and becomes 60 damage with a STAB bonus.

That's wrong. The base attack is worthless information to me because I can't take it from even an assumed HP. The point stands. Falkner's level 9 Pidgetto barely has the attack power to OHKO a level 5 Chikorita, and you can beat that gym legitimately with 3 non-grass type pokemon, less if you participated in each battle. You're trying to validate him having his own tier, mind you, but unless we're talking 'solo capabilities', he's really an accessory.

It's the worse gym ever, quite honestly.

You say that as if you completely change your team for every gym

Edit: Also, don't you think your Pokemon are gonna gain levels while fighting the 7th gym's trainers? And I forget, doesn't the team rocket base come before the 7th gym?

Edit 2: Oh yeah, the max for Olivine is like 37

The team rocket base occurs before the 7th gym. In fact, I believe you can beat the 7th gym before the 6th and 5th gym IIRC.

That's wrong. The base attack is worthless information to me because I can't take it from even an assumed HP. The point stands. Falkner's level 9 Pidgetto barely has the attack power to OHKO a level 5 Chikorita, and you can beat that gym legitimately with 3 non-grass type pokemon, less if you participated in each battle. You're trying to validate him having his own tier, mind you, but unless we're talking 'solo capabilities', he's really an accessory.

It's the worse gym ever, quite honestly.

The formula for damage calculation is probably the same in gen II as it was in gen III I would imagine, so for now lets assume that the battle formula is ((((2 * Level / 5 + 2) * AttackStat * AttackPower / DefenseStat) / 50) + 2) * STAB * Weakness/Resistance * RandomNumber / 100 (This seems to be the actual formula since I have yet to find any evidence stating otherwise that it changes from gen II to gen III or gen IV).

Using this damage calculator http://www.psypokes.com/dex/damage.php we can find out how much damage you will take on average. I don't really know how to tell what the average stats would be at such low levels. But even by doing some small experiments (assuming things like attack is 21 defense is 20), Geodude is still going to take the least amount of damage of any pokemon you can have. So the fact that it has such a huge advantage at that gym still stands even if that gym is crap. Looking at the base power of an attack IS a good identifier to telling you how much damage you will take.

Unfortunately, taking little damage doesn't matter when you can heal before and after the battle, most attacks aren't effected by HP, losing a pokemon doesn't hurt you, and if effectively trained, you could have your starter solo the gym battle sans Chikorita. So while he's good that early on, he's not, in any real way, worthy of his own tier because beyond sponging the first three gyms which are very easy to blow through, he ends up being very useless and otherwise outclassed in most later gyms.

And no, the base ISN'T a good measure of the damage done. You're telling me Gust does 20 damage to Geodude? No. It'll do like 2-5. There is no reflection at all there, especially when in the formula there is a random number to begin with. Nice to know what you're going for, but a guesstimate or even the general idea of the damage done is perfectly applicable in this situation. All bringing up the base damage will do is pull out my need to both find the stat averages for stats of certain pokemon and the damage formula.

I wouldn't say the game is too easy to do a tier list for, even if there is a futility to it, but giving a pokemon or any character in any game for that matter it's own tier means, to me, that that character needs an early appearance and a dominating game presence for the entire game. Geodude is barely the equivalent to Dieck if Gold and Silver were FE6.

More or less. Pidgeot does have a slight edge in the long term however, with better defensive stats

Though if we're going to shove off the Geodude subject for a moment, Abra is terrible. Kadabra can be built very, very well with a bit of money, but Abra is so bad and annoying to level that it should take a hit. Without access to trading and Alakazam. . .

Um, Lapras needs to go up quite a bit, since it can exploit the 4x ice weakness of 4 of Lance's Pokemon, hit Charizard with water (surf or waterfall points here) and tank against Gyarados. Plus, the 8th gym leader also uses Dragon types as well. In addition, Lapras has tons of HP and decent other stats as well. It also helps take out a bunch of other types as well. The only problem is that it's got bad speed, but it's really the best Pokemon for the E4 + Lance.

Ice Beam will take out any dragonite or the aerodactyl in one hit. :awesome:

And a couple more things: if you're not assuming trading, you can't get stones until after the champion battle, so you need to realize that you can only have Espeon and Umbreon of the Eevee evolutions. The others don't count. And, Espeon > Umbreon because Espeon can get Bite (Eevee learns this at level 30), allowing it to exploit a lot more weaknesses and take out psychic types with ease.

Edited by Randomly Predictable

Spearow>Pidgey, it has better attack, earlier evolution, Peck for the beginning and Drill Peck for the E4.

The tier list hasn't been ordered like that yet. Right now, it's just ordered by what tier they would go in.

More or less. Pidgeot does have a slight edge in the long term however, with better defensive stats

Though if we're going to shove off the Geodude subject for a moment, Abra is terrible. Kadabra can be built very, very well with a bit of money, but Abra is so bad and annoying to level that it should take a hit. Without access to trading and Alakazam. . .

Abra can learn the elemental punches so that it can make use of its high speed and special attack.

Um, Lapras needs to go up quite a bit, since it can exploit the 4x ice weakness of 4 of Lance's Pokemon, hit Charizard with water (surf or waterfall points here) and tank against Gyarados. Plus, the 8th gym leader also uses Dragon types as well. In addition, Lapras has tons of HP and decent other stats as well. It also helps take out a bunch of other types as well. The only problem is that it's got bad speed, but it's really the best Pokemon for the E4 + Lance.

Ice Beam will take out any dragonite or the aerodactyl in one hit. :awesome:

And a couple more things: if you're not assuming trading, you can't get stones until after the champion battle, so you need to realize that you can only have Espeon and Umbreon of the Eevee evolutions. The others don't count. And, Espeon > Umbreon because Espeon can get Bite (Eevee learns this at level 30), allowing it to exploit a lot more weaknesses and take out psychic types with ease.

There is quite a bit of backtrack involved to get Lapras and I did initially have it in top tier, but I moved it down. I personally think it is top tier, so I will probably move it back for the time being.

Also, I didn't realize that it was only in crystal that you could get the elemental stones before the elite four, so I will fix that later; I'm busy atm.

Also, I didn't realize that it was only in crystal that you could get the elemental stones before the elite four, so I will fix that later; I'm busy atm.

Yeah, you can get a couple of moonstones and unlimited sun stones, but you can't get a water, fire, or thunder stone until Kanto. And did you decide to do anything about Espeon?Oh yeah, no tier ordering yet...

I made the suggested changes for the moment and somewhat started to order things by really only ordering pokemon that have been mentioned atm. I also moved Geodude out of its own tier since people were complaining about it, but it will still remain at the top of top tier since it really is that great of a pokemon, unless Onix is better (the only reason Onix isn't higher than Geodude is because Geodude can be used in the first Gym and learns ground type moves through lvl up allowing the dig tm to be used on other pokemon).

Also, no one has a problem with the chance tier yes?

I would suggest Staryu up on the basis of recover. It's got a decent type, can learn psychic moves, can be obtained before the fighting-type gym (and also hits those poison types of TR). Not to top tier, but still up to high tier. The only things that hurt it are grass and electric, electric attacks are fairly rare, and a lot of grass types double with poison as well. So, Staryu to high tier.

I made the suggested changes for the moment and somewhat started to order things by really only ordering pokemon that have been mentioned atm. I also moved Geodude out of its own tier since people were complaining about it, but it will still remain at the top of top tier since it really is that great of a pokemon, unless Onix is better (the only reason Onix isn't higher than Geodude is because Geodude can be used in the first Gym and learns ground type moves through lvl up allowing the dig tm to be used on other pokemon).

Also, no one has a problem with the chance tier yes?

Isn't there a kid that trades an Onix for a Bellsprout in Violet city or was that trade Crystal-exclusive?

And why is Tentacool so high? For his HM-slave capabilities? He doesn't come that early (I remember at least 3 other water types available earlier other than Totodile) and isn't stellar when it comes to attacking.

As for Cubone, is he buyable in the Game Corner in G/S too or was that Crystal exclusive too?

Isn't there a kid that trades an Onix for a Bellsprout in Violet city or was that trade Crystal-exclusive?

As for Cubone, is he buyable in the Game Corner in G/S too or was that Crystal exclusive too?

Yes for the Onix trade in G/S.

I'm not sure about the Cubone though. Been too many years.