Halp with Computer

Colonel M

That should have installed with the plugin though... also, the SocketException strikes me as weird. It's like something's gone in there and mucked with it all, either a virus or someone using the computer went and messed with the Java plugin somehow.

Do other applications throw exceptions that you can see/post?

That should have installed with the plugin though...

I know, which makes this error exceptionally weird.

It could have something to do with the update version of Java you're using. Maybe switching to an older version (update 6 or 7 or something, maybe) will work. Otherwise, have you already tried re-installing it, for that's the most obvious thing to try when you experience such problems : p

I doubt it's Java. This makes me think it's a virus, but ffs I don't get why it won't download correctly. Gaah. If only I could manually remove the virus myself.

Try downloading the 'Avast antivirus' and Malwarebytes' programs from a different computer, store the installation files on a flash drive/SD card and then extract it to the computer in question and hope for the best.

Edited by Speedwagon

If a virus is at fault as you seem to be convinced is the case, I implore you to try following the instructions listed in this post.

Edit: I put the programs I recommend you try into a .zip file so that, if you choose to use them, you don't need to locate the download links on their pages: link.

1. Download Avast Virus Cleaner, Avast Anti-virus, and MalwareBytes.

2. Put Avast Virus Cleaner onto a USB drive.

3. Start up your computer in safe mode (Tap F8 upon turning on the computer until you're able to select to run in safe mode, then select to run in safe mode).

4. Run Avast Virus Cleaner from the USB drive.

5. Install MalwareBytes and perform a full scan.

6. Install Avast Anti-virus (you don't need a license key for the first thirty days, but you can get one for free afterward if you decide to keep it installed) and tell it to perform a boot-time scan if it doesn't automatically request to do so upon installation. If you have a 64 bit system, you will be unable to perform a boot-time scan and have to make do with running a normal full scan.

7. Restart the computer without[/i] telling it to go into safe-mode. If your computer can run the boot-time scan, it'll be performed while the computer starts up.

8. Let us know which, if any, of the steps could not be performed, and if any of the issues you've encountering have been alleviated.

Edited by Wist