PS3 bug

Just call me AL

Just recently there has been some sort of bug affecting pretty much all PS3's out there except the PS3 Slims. I recently just got afflicted with this bug, but I got some of the minor problems, such as the clock going backwards, and not being able to sign on to my PSN account from my PS3. I don't think it affected my save games, nor do I have any idea if it affected my "trophies". I'm seriously hoping Sony will fix this bug soon.

But yeah, did any PS3 owners here have any problems with their PS3's?

EDIT: Seems like everything's fixed. Thanks for the heads up Feffle.

Edited by Terrence Sweetwater

Hmm, yeah, I just bought "White Knight Chronicles", and everytime after I turned off my PS3, there was a message like "there was an error when you turned off your PS3", and then I have to select the turn-off-option of my PS3 so I don't lose any data.

Oh yeah, and when I last played PS3 today, I noticed when I saved my savestat, that my clock was set back to the 1.1.2000 at 12am <.<

It's apparently also affecting things like DLC's. I mean like, the demos and games I downloaded are still where they should be, but things like the Valkyria Chronicles DLC's such as the Expert mode skirmish maps, Edy Nelson's and Selvaria Bles's missions (all of which I downloaded just about a half-a-year ago), and new skirmish maps (which I downloaded yesterday), aren't even there anymore.

Man I'm really hoping Sony can fix this.

EDIT: Read the edit in the first post please.

Edited by Terrence Sweetwater

weird....I've heard of this but I don't remember hearing about it not affecting slim PS3s. Must've zoned out or got distracted by something else(easily distracted). That's good news for my brother but sucks for the people who have the original PS3. I'm sure they'll fix it soon though.

There's four different versions of the PS3 Phats as well. Versions 3 and 4 aren't affected (those are the ones that can't play PS2 games). I wasn't affected. :D

EDIT: It's been fixed, too, IIRC.

Edited by MGS: Metal Gear Solid

You have to insert PlayStation 2 discs upside-down. Doing so forces the blu-ray drive to read through the label on the disc, negating an issue in which data could not be read properly due to the excessive iridescence of the polycarbonate underside of PlayStation 2 disc.

You have to insert PlayStation 2 discs upside-down. Doing so forces the blu-ray drive to read through the label on the disc, negating an issue in which data could not be read properly due to the excessive iridescence of the polycarbonate underside of PlayStation 2 disc.

:facepalm:

NOT what we were talking about. Besides, what were WERE talking about was already fixed by Sony.

How embarrassing, I totally did NOT catch that!

In regard to the issue that was under discussion before I posted in response to the post above my previous post, I'll add what I can. Sony had no hand in resolving it. It was caused by an incorrect date rollover, the fault of which lies on the ARM CPU which translates most models' internal clock into recognizable times and dates, resulting in the PlayStation 3 operating as if it were February 29, 2010 even though the date was inconsistent (because 2010 isn't a leap year). For the sake of discussion, it's the exact same issue which rendered certain Zune models inoperable for a day heading into 2009 (and some independent reports suggest the same processor is at fault; thanks Freescale Semiconductor, Inc.). The subsequent time-stamp mismatches prevented, in most afflicted consoles, the generation of valid certificates used to authorize trophy services, verify downloaded software, and establish a connection with the PlayStation Network. The inconsistency ceased to exist when the internal clock, which runs at GMT 0, rolled over to March 1, an existing date.

No, it probably won't happen again. That's what the problem is, it is reading the date as February 29th but it does not exist for this year and so it was unable to read the date properly.

Edited by Tangerine

No, it probably won't happen again. That's what the problem is, it is reading the date as February 29th but it does not exist for this year and so it was unable to read the date properly.

Exactly. The older PS3's read every even year (even numbers, that is) as a leap year, so in the year 2014, wouldn't be misread as well?

oh no i lost all of my trophies this is worse than rape

You would only lose all of your trophies if you tried to play every single game you own when the bug was in effect. Even if this problem affected me, I'd stop trying after the first game got screwed up. :P

Exactly. The older PS3's read every even year (even numbers, that is) as a leap year, so in the year 2014, wouldn't be misread as well?

I was actually making a 2012 apocalypse joke there, but I guess I wasn't obvious enough :P