SF Gym Leader Challenge

Raven

Raven,

You put me as a leader, even though I don't have a game right now...

You're more than welcome to put me back into reserve for someone else who actually has the game.

Then, once I get it...I'll work something out with you/the leader who replaced me.

I did notice that. I'll put you in reserve then, and have Ether in as one of the first 8.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh. I have an idea which can solve the main 8 and the remaining 9 Reserves:

A Reserve Gym Leader must choose and battle one of the main 8 Gym Leaders and defeat them to become a main Gym Leader. Both Leaders must use their Gym Pokemon.

The Main Leader can not decline the challenge. If he declines, he automatically becomes Reserve, and the challenging Reserve Gym Leader becomes a main Gym Leader.

The losing Gym Leader, whether they are Main or Reserve, are not allowed to attempt to become Main again for 24 hours after their defeat.

Reserve Gym Leaders who have moved up to Main Leaders after defeating a Main Leader are immune from Reserve Gym Leader challengers for 7 days after their victory.

Anybody who battles a Gym Leader who is at that point in time a Reserve, they will not be awarded that Gym Badge, even if that Reserve Gym Leader becomes a Main Gym Leader shortly after. They must attempt to obtain that Gym Badge again.

Thoughts?

Edited by Raven

You're just going to get stuff like Fire fighting Steel, in which there's no chance for Steel to win. It seems really flawed.

Not Particularly...

Lucario would be one of my steel pokemon...and he can learn water pulse. Then you have steel pokemon who can learn rain dance.

That drastically declines the power fire type moves correct?

Oh. I have an idea which can solve the main 8 and the remaining 9 Reserves:

A Reserve Gym Leader must choose and battle one of the main 8 Gym Leaders and defeat them to become a main Gym Leader. Both Leaders must use their Gym Pokemon.

The Main Leader can not decline the challenge. If he declines, he automatically becomes Reserve, and the challenging Reserve Gym Leader becomes a main Gym Leader.

The losing Gym Leader, whether they are Main or Reserve, are not allowed to attempt to become Main again for 24 days after their defeat.

Reserve Gym Leaders who have moved up to Main Leaders after defeating a Main Leader are immune from Reserve Gym Leader challengers for 7 days after their victory.

Anybody who battles a Gym Leader who is at that point in time a Reserve, they will not be awarded that Gym Badge, even if that Reserve Gym Leader becomes a Main Gym Leader shortly after. They must attempt to obtain that Gym Badge again.

Thoughts?

While this idea works very well. Why not just let there be gyms for every type? Then a challenging gym leader will have to challenge the current gym leader for the same type gym?

This will also eliminate what Ninji was talking about...with Steel vs. Fire gym.

I wouldn't mind helping organize if you need a second hand.

Edited by Hatari

Not Particularly...

Lucario would be one of my steel pokemon...and he can learn water pulse. Then you have steel pokemon who can learn rain dance.

It was merely an example. While each Gym Leader's team is probably going to have something to counter the weaknesses of it's own type, you're still going to end up with a ton of biased matches.

It was merely an example. While each Gym Leader's team is probably going to have something to counter the weaknesses of it's own type, you're still going to end up with a ton of biased matches.

That's the world of pokemon. Players know the type of each gym...and you get bias matches all the time. Right?

I haven't actually played since Gold/Silver, so anything I know is from reading and FE4 Thread.

- May not use any Uber Pokemon.

- May use one Legendary Pokemon only.

Any questions you may have, post them.

I have a few things to ask.

1. Are uber pokemon determined using the latest Smogon tier list?

2. The only one legendary pokemon rule is horribly flawed. Moltres, Articuno, and Entei are legendary, and they suck balls. I mean, Articuno and Entei are in Smogon's fucking Never Used tier.

3. Is shoddy battle an acceptable medium for this game/event/thing?

Not Particularly...

While this idea works very well. Why not just let there be gyms for every type? Then a challenging gym leader will have to challenge the current gym leader for the same type gym?

This will also eliminate what Ninji was talking about...with Steel vs. Fire gym.

I wouldn't mind helping organize if you need a second hand.

I don't quite understand what you mean by what I've just bolded.

If all the gyms were not in reserve but in play, then there would be no need for the Gym Leaders to battle eachother at all. While that's probably the easiest way to go, it makes it less interesting, in my opinion anyway.

If yes to number 3, sign me up as a rock gym leader. Triple Tyranitars

Actually, Shoddy Battle MUST be acceptable, as there is nothing that actually says what we're playing in. I suggest that we do the whole thing in Shoddy Battle. If we did that, we could probably start tonight.

Edited by General Spoon

I don't quite understand what you mean by what I've just bolded.

If all the gyms were not in reserve but in play, then there would be no need for the Gym Leaders to battle eachother at all. While that's probably the easiest way to go, it makes it less interesting, in my opinion anyway.

But it's not gym leaders battling each other is it? It's other people battling the gym leaders.

Every Type has a Gym --- Gym Leader Challenge:

You're the water leader. Say I want to challenge you for the water gym. I would have to use my water gym pokemon. If I win, then I'm water leader.

8 Main Gyms -- Gym Leader Challenge:

You're water leader. I want to be one of the 8 main gym leaders, but I want to be grass gym (pretend that grass gym wasn't one of the main 8). By your rules, as ninji pointed out, I could legally challenge you to become grass gym leader, which would probably result in your lost, due to type advantage.

Edited by Hatari

I have a few things to ask.

1. Are uber pokemon determined using the latest Smogon tier list?

2. The only one legendary pokemon rule is horribly flawed. Moltres, Articuno, and Entei are legendary, and they suck balls. I mean, Articuno and Entei are in Smogon's fucking Never Used tier.

3. Is shoddy battle an acceptable medium for this game/event/thing?

1. Yeah (I need to look it up).

2. I don't see what you're asking here, but I'll just say that any gym leader can use any Legendary as long as it is of the same type as their Gym. They don't have to use Aticuno/Entei/shit Legendaries if they don't want to. And a Gym Leader doesn't have to use one Legendary; they can go along with a group of ordinary Pokemon.

3. I'd prefer it if people used their real games, however if both Leader and challenger agree (100%) to using Shoddy, then I'll allow it. I expect all the Gym Leaders to own a DS and a copy of Diamond/Pearl/Platinum/HeartGold/SoulSilver and primarily use those. If a challenger is like "I won't use anything but Shoddy" and the Leader is against using Shoddy, then the Leader has the right to deny a battle.

But it's not gym leaders battling each other is it? It's other people battling the gym leaders.

Every Type has a Gym --- Gym Leader Challenge:

You're the water leader. Say I want to challenge you for the water gym. I would have to use my water gym pokemon. If I win, then I'm water leader.

8 Main Gyms -- Gym Leader Challenge:

You're water leader. I want to be one of the 8 main gym leaders, but I want to be grass gym (pretend that grass gym wasn't one of the main 8). By your rules, as ninji pointed out, I could legally challenge you to become grass gym leader, which would probably result in your lost, due to type advantage.

Aha, you've misunderstood this lol. The Gym Leaders are permanent, win or lose. Challengers get a badge to place in their sig, if they so wish, and their target is to collect all the badges.

3. I'd prefer it if people used their real games, however if both Leader and challenger agree (100%) to using Shoddy, then I'll allow it. I expect all the Gym Leaders to own a DS and a copy of Diamond/Pearl/Platinum/HeartGold/SoulSilver and primarily use those. If a challenger is like "I won't use anything but Shoddy" and the Leader is against using Shoddy, then the Leader has the right to deny a battle.[/color]

I hope you don't mind if I form my own Shoddy-only league. I cannot begin to understand the Shoddy hate around here

You can take me down as rock gym leader. I won't be filling that position. I'm also trying to decide if I really want to form an opposing league.

Edited by General Spoon

I hope you don't mind if I form my own Shoddy-only league. I cannot begin to understand the Shoddy hate around here

You can take me down as rock gym leader. I won't be filling that position. I'm also trying to decide if I really want to form an opposing league.

That would certainly be an interesting idea.

Aha, you've misunderstood this lol. The Gym Leaders are permanent, win or lose. Challengers get a badge to place in their sig, if they so wish, and their target is to collect all the badges.

Well right, but what I was talking about was your reserve gym leader system. You said a reserve gym leader can challenge one of the main 8 to become part of the main 8 which would knock out the loser from the main 8 right?

Edited by Hatari

Why not just make a leader for each type, and let people pick which 8 they wanna battle? Seems a lot simpler for everyone. If you need a game to justify it, the Kanto league accepted both Kanto and Johto badges.

edit: oh, and I'd definitely prefer using Shoddybattle. I haven't used it, but I DID use netbattle some, back in the day. I assume there aren't any significant differences?

Edited by NotSal

I think it's simply a matter of personal preference. But I know there are some people who would prefer to use their own trained and raised as opposed to something they have told a program to make for them. Personally I prefer using the real thing. Much more rewarding, I think.

But, if people want it, I will create a second lineup for Shoddy-only battles. However, I think that there should be only 8 permanent Leaders for each real and Shoddy, to keep things simple. Thoughts?

Well right, but what I was talking about was your reserve gym leader system. You said a reserve gym leader can challenge one of the main 8 to become part of the main 8 which would knock out the loser from the main 8 right?

Yep, correct.

Yep, correct.

Right, so as ninji said...it's just going to be bias battles. If I wanted to be the steel leader, I would challenge one of the current leaders, whose pokemon are weak to steel, which basically ensures that I get steel gym in one of the main 8.

That's why I said, let every type have an active gym, then any challengers that want to be that types gym leader, has to challenge the current gym leader of that gym (same type, which avoids that situation of the main 9 bias battles.).

So, if I wanted to take over your gym, I'd have to fight you with my water type pokemon that I planned to use.

Make more sense?

Edited by Hatari

Yep, correct.

The problem with this is,I'm the psychic leader.If Kai,the dark leader wants in,whos he gonna pick?The matchups are bound to be unbalanced.

Right, so as ninji said...it's just going to be bias battles. If I wanted to be the steel leader, I would challenge one of the current leaders, whose pokemon are weak to steel, which basically ensures that I get steel gym in one of the main 8.

That's why I said, let every type have an active gym, then any challengers that want to be that types gym leader, has to challenge the current gym leader of that gym (same type, which avoids that situation of the main 9 bias battles.).

So, if I wanted to take over your gym, I'd have to fight you with my water type pokemon that I planned to use.

Make more sense?

I understand what you're trying to say now.

However, I was thinking to have that method as, say:

The Electric Gym is in reserve, but wants to become Main.

Electric Gym Leader challenges Water Gym Leader, wins, and becomes Main, while the Water Gym becomes Reserve.

The Water Gym is then able to challenge, say, the Fire Gym Leader after 24 hours, win, and knocks the Fire Gym into Reserve, getting back in with the Main Gyms again.

Don't forget the Gyms are immune from Reserve Gym challenges for a week once they get into Main from Reserve, so it's not like a Gym will go into Reserve again on the same day.