Why are Generals so goddamn fast...?

...And terribly resistent to magic and reliable on just about every stat?

I find it weird that they are fast, since, you know, Knights and Generals are meant to be tanky, very slow and bear rather average Res.

Edited by Soul

That's a good question. I assume they did it because a character is said to be "useless" if he can't double reliably. And I've noticed that Brom and Gatrie do have trouble in that area from my personal experience. As for Meg, for all her crappiness, at least she's fast. If it weren't for her prohibitively low speed cap, she might dodge like a myrmidon.

As for the res, it's funny because in PoR you had so much gold that I bought a pure water for everyone on my team. So for all practical purposes, everyone's res was 7 points higher.

I'll return to this thread after I take a closer look at their stats.

That's a good question. I assume they did it because a character is said to be "useless" if he can't double reliably. And I've noticed that Brom and Gatrie do have trouble in that area from my personal experience. As for Meg, for all her crappiness, at least she's fast. If it weren't for her prohibitively low speed cap, she might dodge like a myrmidon.

As for the res, it's funny because in PoR you had so much gold that I bought a pure water for everyone on my team. So for all practical purposes, everyone's res was 7 points higher.

I'll return to this thread after I take a closer look at their stats.

Well, the complaint is more about enemy Generals. Like the ones in 4-E-1 that have 24 to 27 speed and about the same in res. Compare that to Generals in previous games, and more importantly how easy it was for mages in other games to ORKO generals in those games, and you'll see why people complain.

I still don't get how Generals are about the same Speed as Paladins at times in this game. That just makes absolutely 0 sense to me.

Yeah, considering Paladins in fe6, for example, had like 10 more speed. Well, cavs have about 10 more than armors, though depending on their weapon the attack speed can drop to like 6 higher. Not actually sure with the paladins since I haven't seen a general yet on this recent playthrough and I forgot what they had on the previous one. Probably about the same deal in fe9. But typically in this game they are never more than about 2 apart. And like you said, sometimes not even apart.

Well, the stupidly high resistance is bad because typically, the 'role' of magic users is to play anti-armour. When Armours have resistance so high that even a capped Ilyana barely 2HKOes (and she doesn't cap magic naturally) and barely doubles (and she doesn't cap speed naturally either), then it gets silly.

Well, the stupidly high resistance is bad because typically, the 'role' of magic users is to play anti-armour. When Armours have resistance so high that even a capped Ilyana barely 2HKOes (and she doesn't cap magic naturally) and barely doubles (and she doesn't cap speed naturally either), then it gets silly.

Well, it's not so bad. Lugh in fe6 doesn't ORKO armors for a long time. But then, most of your units in fe6 are 4 or 5 rounding armors without special weapons or being Marcus. Then as the game goes on they start doing better. With this game, after part 1 nearly everyone 2 rounds generals quite reliably. Even Mia will start doing that with a steel blade soon enough. Not sure how long it takes Nephenee. Anyway, if everyone is 2 rounding and some of them have crit or 3HKO and can use Adept (particularly later on in 4-E) then mages struggling to merely 2 round is kind of sad.

Meg's speed cap is higher then Kierans (z0mg)

(also I have to note it's funny that only Fiona and Astrid (concidered the worst 2 Paladins) are the only 2 to reach the magic number 34 on speed (35 in Astrid's case).

Edited by Silith

Mayhaps they wanted Micaiah to seem special with her Thani tome? It's the only logical conclusion I can conjure, assuming that their decisions were governed by any sort of logic.

Edited by Sykil

Yes they did, but she's missing one 1RKO'ing later on. And it's just plain awkward that a magic is effective against infantry, every magic should be.

If you're talking about the Endgame Generals I figured it was due to them being blessed by Ashura...

Not just them. Armors in part 1 tend to have more spd than Generals of equivalent levels in PoR. That's right, Generals.

Tier 1, level x armors in RD tend to have more spd than tier 2, level x generals in PoR.

Check out the enemy stat topics:

Endgame, PoR:

1x General lv 14 (spear)

43 hp, 31 atk, 9 AS, 106 hit, 24 avo, 24 def, 14 res, 12 crit, 6 cev

1x General lv 15 (laguzslayer)

44 hp, 31 atk (40 eff), 10 AS, 115 hit, 26 avo, 27 def, 13 res, 8 crit, 6 cev

1x General lv 15 (knight killer)

42 hp, 28 atk (35 eff), 9 AS, 108 hit, 24 avo, 26 def, 15 res, 8 crit, 6 cev

2x General lv 16 (silver lance)

46 hp, 36 atk, 11 AS, 116 hit, 29 avo, 26 def, 15 res, 8 crit, 7 cev

1x General lv 16 (silver blade)

45 hp, 37 atk, 10 AS, 101 hit, 27 avo, 25 def, 15 res, 8 crit, 7 cev

Level 14 to 16 armors have 9 to 11 spd.

Taken from the RD enemy stat topic in 1-7:

2x Armor Axe lvl 16 (Hand Axe, one has stealable Vulnerary)

HP 33, Atk 25, AS 14, Hit 109, Avo 39, DEF 17, RES 7, Crit 7, Ddg 11

2x Armor Lance lvl 15 (Steel Lance)

HP 33, Atk 26, AS 13, Hit 117, Avo 37, DEF 16, RES 6, Crit 6, Ddg 11

1x Armor Lance lvl 14 (Steel Lance)

HP 33, Atk 25, AS 12, Hit 115, Avo 35, DEF 15, RES 6, Crit 6, Ddg 11

1x Armor Lance lvl 13 (Javelin)

HP 32, Atk 22, AS 11, Hit 97, Avo 32, DEF 15, RES 6, Crit 5, Ddg 10

Level 13 to 16 armors have 11 to 14 spd.

Um, yeah, go Armors/Generals in RD! You guys rock. Now, the res values aren't really crazy. Only 6 or 7. In fact, level 14 Generals in RD (check chapter 3-8) have about the same res as level 14 Generals in PoR. Well, technically about 1 or 2 more. They have 15 or 16 in RD and the level 14 guys in PoR had 14 res. But it's only a small difference. The difference in speed, however, is massive. 18 to 20 spd is common for level 14 Generals in RD which is about 9 or 10 higher than what they get in PoR at the same level. Yeah, these guys are fast.

that speed in 1-7 was really annoying. I had to pull those armors with Nolan and his Hammer but unless they didn't have the highest speed he wouldn't survive because he would be doubled.

I don't think that quite shows how stupid they really are though. I stupid is stupid on a ton of levels. Intelectually subpar is not only gramatically correct, but also shows use of advanced (or at least non-basic) language.

Capped SPD Makalov(LOL), Astrid(LOL), Fiona(even more lolz) and Titania outspeed Meg.

Sword Marshalls(AKA Meg) are the fastest generals, and out of 7 Pallies(IIRC) in the game, 4 outspeed them. 3(Mak, Astrid, Fiona) are supposed to be epic crap. The last one is an EXP hog.

Generals>Paladins.

Of course though, one can argue that Meg is crap as well, seeing how she takes eternity to get out of her hole that is called the EARLYGAME. So we now see Gatrie/Taur, who are both arguably much easier to train(Brom is too slow). Then, every Paladin except Kieran outspeeds Gatrie/Taur. But then we need to consider if any of them are able to max SPD in the 1st place. We know Gatrie is extremely liable to max SPD...

Random fact: Astrid is the only Paladin with a 35 LCK cap.

Edited by Fin