The Fighting Thread Of Down Right Fierce Punches

burning_phoneix

Because I don't think any fighting game can maintain a consistent thread on it's own (except maybe Super Smash Bros :awesome: )

So I made it to one thread. To kick it off here are some screenshots from MvC3:

http://kotaku.com/5548974/marvel-vs-capcom-3-screenshots-will-kick-your-canon-in-the-face/gallery/

I don't like them. Stylized 3D needs to die. :facepalm:

At least KoFXIII is still cming out.

Speaking of Ken, I'm pretty much a noob to fighting online on SSFIV and this dude keeps kicking my ass as Cammy. I just can't get close enough to her with all the spin arrow and cannon spike spamming (I play as Ken)

Any help? :(

Speaking of Ken, I'm pretty much a noob to fighting online on SSFIV and this dude keeps kicking my ass as Cammy. I just can't get close enough to her with all the spin arrow and cannon spike spamming (I play as Ken)

Dragon Punch moar? But IDK, TBQH. Never played, just thought I'd be a dick.

Cammy's Spiral Arrow is unsafe on block, so the first thing to try against Cammy, especially less proficient ones, is to simply block then grab. Of course, this happens to enough of them that do this that most often learn to try to trick others by following up a Spiral Arrow with a Cannon Spike. This is also true when players use Cannon Strike, her diagonal downward kick that is also probably causing you trouble. So, when blocking the first, prepare for the second one that usually comes after it, then punish after that one fails.

Any other things that he happened to throw out there?

He just kept spamming Arrows pretty much and kept his distance the whole fight.

Well, then yeah. Remember that Cannon Spikes are quite punishable on block. So every time there's an opening of a few seconds when there's a bit of distance between you, prepare to block low. Do that, and right after blocking it, use your Shoryuken. It'll be free loads of damage every single time.

Again, though, remember that Cammys get wise of this, so the player will start trying to follow up Spiral Arrow with Cannon Strike (her Shoryuken-like kick that launches her up). So after getting nailed by that once, start blocking a little bit longer after the Spiral Arrow to wait for the Cannon Strike to get blocked, and then punish with a Hadoken, since they will be too far away usually to punish with a Shoryuken.

So uh any of you playing with FB Alpha or anything? With a thread like this we could do tournaments and such at SFIII 3rd Strike or something.

Naw. I never got good enough with any Third Strike characters. Really want to go back and play Makoto in all her glory rather than having to deal with the shit-tier version I've got now. :(

• 2 weeks later...

Well, then yeah. Remember that Cannon Spikes are quite punishable on block. So every time there's an opening of a few seconds when there's a bit of distance between you, prepare to block low. Do that, and right after blocking it, use your Shoryuken. It'll be free loads of damage every single time.

Again, though, remember that Cammys get wise of this, so the player will start trying to follow up Spiral Arrow with Cannon Strike (her Shoryuken-like kick that launches her up). So after getting nailed by that once, start blocking a little bit longer after the Spiral Arrow to wait for the Cannon Strike to get blocked, and then punish with a Hadoken, since they will be too far away usually to punish with a Shoryuken.

Worked pretty good this strategy. Though after a few easy victories my buddy has started to involve the air with cammy this time around instead of just spiral arrows :D

Worked pretty good this strategy. Though after a few easy victories my buddy has started to involve the air with cammy this time around instead of just spiral arrows :D

Is he using Cannon Strikes in the air? The diagonal ones that come downward? If so, wait until she jumps forward and ready a Shoryuken. Unless you have bad timing and start it off too late, you'll generally get a good hit. Remember that you're the one with the zoning tools at all times. Judge the distance of Cammy's Spiral Arrow and find its max range, then when it's convenient, stay outside it and throw Hadokens all day. This forces the enemy to come in on your terms, and lets you score some good damage if they're careless.

Of course, a lot of people will just complain about Hadoken spam if you do that. :D

Fake Edit: I keep mixing up Spike and Strike >__>

Yeah he starting to pull those. I gotta block high for those I think.

Problem with Ken's Hadoukens is that they have longer startup and recovery than Ryu's so if the enemy times it right, they can jump over them and nail me. :(

Yeah he starting to pull those. I gotta block high for those I think.

Problem with Ken's Hadoukens is that they have longer startup and recovery than Ryu's so if the enemy times it right, they can jump over them and nail me. :(

Right. That's why you want to get yourself far enough away that a diagonal jump won't get them close enough to punish you for using it.

You can also use it to lure some players in so you can Shoryuken them, too.

So uh any of you playing with FB Alpha or anything? With a thread like this we could do tournaments and such at SFIII 3rd Strike or something.

I do! I play JoJo regularly with Dagron/Sirius/Generic Officer.

I'm terrible at Third Strike (mostly because I main Q and have no idea how to properly use him), but tournaments will be cool to have. We can have JoJo tournaments too. If you can get a hold of Neo FinalBurn Alpha, we can use that to play Garou as well; that game is amazingly good.