Shu's Quest Chat

mr_e_s

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@Lurking: That does seem to be the case. I tend to lurk anyway though, you just got me to say something about it lol.

@True colors: Certainly an example, though not the only one. In general people seem to think that if they aren't called on anything when they start, they can get away with more later. Which is true... but only to an extent.

Regarding the Psych-hate: How shall I put this... he seems to be in this solely to piss us off, only he achieves it via idiocy, not by setting everything on fire like you did. I'd say read his posts if you want to find out, but... you really don't. Bit pathetic how so few people are learning to ignore him really.

Ouch, Elitist much? XD

Though this statement only rings true if you started with a good RP community to begin with. If bad RP'ers are more prominent..... well without them and RP wouldn't progress. If you just want well written characters you might as well write a story, and not make an RP. Told you I get a 0 for getting along XD Flaming the Rp leader here already.

That's just it though, there's already been a lot of talk about it in the chat topic here. About characters getting hurt or killed if it serves the story, about working together and talking things out, for the sake of the story. This RP is a story. LoAF is more like a game, a campaign. SQ really is a collaborative story. We're constantly writing it, we're not sure where it;s going, but we're having fun getting there, that's it. In my opinion, that's why stats wouldn't work here. However much they might spice up combat, which I consider a minor part, they aren't beneficial to a story.

Also I just slept for like 12 hours, and I'm still tired.

Be thankful you didn't wake up to a glass of Alka-seltzer, ugh.

But, yeah, I think we've touched on it before, LoAF-people are more players than writers, vice versa here for Shu's Quest.

You must not be as big of a fan of fights as I am, but there's so much to do in a good ole-fashioned fisticuffs. Hell, I don't mind if 90% of the writing is fighting, as long as its handled well. Did a character once whose sole purpose was to fight people, a different opponent each post. There are so many factors in a fight, so many situations, so many options that I can't possibly see them being all the same unless you purposely do it that way, or if you are just lazy.

I mean if you're in a blank field, with no distractions, and having a simple one-on-one duel, I can see how things start to look all the same. But instead of approaching it in the same manner as usual, maybe you can take the opportunity to elaborate on the skills of the fighters. You can talk about their technique, the mindgames, the skills, the feints, the dodges, the parries, the subtle differences in style between the two. Maybe you can look into their heads, see what they're thinking while fighting.

Things aren't really that ideal though, and that's where the fun comes in. Maybe you're fighting on a galleon, in the middle of the storm, while the boat rocks back and forth violent. Now a new factor has just entered the battle-- the loose footing and general hamper to movement. How can you take advantage of that, or how does it affect you, negatively or else? How about that same boat, but on a sunny day? With all these ropes and sails hanging around, suddenly you have a fight that favors movement, encourages jumping around all over the place and whacking down people with quicker, more rapid strikes.

Or imagine you're in a city. Small corridors and blind corners. Thing like a lance wouldn't be too useful. Opponents can come from above, through windows, or just around the corner. You have the constant threat of being surrounded or trapped, and yet you need to keep moving despite pursuers chasing you. Maybe you can use that to your advantage, misleading them, making them crash into opening doors or smacking them around to the wall.

Especially when faced with a determinately better opponent (stat-wise), how does the lesser fighter win? That's always the most interesting aspect of writing up a fight, at least for me.

It makes me kinda sad I didn't do a dedicated fighter for SQ.

Well there was that commotion when Mr Noah (aka crazy knife guy) saved Stark's ass

After that it looks like everyone got split up and they're having an exceptionally difficult time re-grouping, for some reason that remains unknown to me

Lyle died near the group's cart

Jeph is frozen in time still staring at the paladin that killed Lyle until Lunny decides to post again, no telling when this situation is going to change

Stark and Derwood are twiddling their thumbs at an unspecified location

No idea what happened to Dom

In other words, they're all doing a huge amount of nothing

Stark and Derwood are where the cart used to be, before the group moved. Stark didn't know they moved, and is trying to figure out where the fuck everyone is.

Jeph, yeah.

Purg hasn't posted with Dom in a while, so I dunno.

as for Fargo, I'm never sure.

Hey look, another one armed swordsman. And with Stark also missing an eyeball, it seems wielding swords is the occupation most known for losing important body parts, much like being a trader means losing all your wealth to bandits or the like.

I was gonna say that he got separated from the group at Corthrone, and they didn't have time to look for him, since knights or whatever.