Lord of Azure Flame: Chapter 14: The mental limit

Snowy_One

Derek

"You could say that it is questionable, yes," Derek began, relaxed. "But, you forget that my sister and the Princess of Jerdon, my homeland, are part of the group, as well. The fact that they are here is the main reason why I'm part of the group."

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I suppose so. But that also means that your goals do not run parallel to ours. You have no allegiance to the Crimson Weapon wielders so you would have no qualms about betraying us. Restoring kingdoms is very expensive business--one which may require you to take merecenary jobs of...questionable reputability." Morgan said, putting her hand on her forehead.

Edited by -Cynthia-

Derek

"Miss, I am not an idiot. Were I to spy on a group I was travelling with, and to lead them into an ambush, it could easily be arranged that the aggressors 'mistake' me for one of the targets, and kill me," Derek said. "So as to not pay. That's why I would never take up an espionage job: Chances are, you'll be dead once you provide the information. Besides, if I wanted a lucrative reward, I would have stayed with Travis and Co, hunting you people."

"But no one died in the most recent attack." Morgan countered. "The mole is still alive. It is true that you abandoned your old mercenary post, but perhaps that was because you got a better deal on an espionage task rather than capturing our group." Morgan's eyes narrowed.

Derek

"You're forgetting the other possible reason," Derek said, staring right back. "Travis was going to rape my little sister. That is not tolerable, so I left. Money had nothing to do with it."

"So you say." answered Morgan curtly. "I wouldn't be surprised if the whole attack was an elaborate ruse to get you inducted into our group, possibly split the bounty with your fellow mercenaries. Our interview is concluded." she said, getting up to leave.

Derek

"Incredibly, that would be off the mark," Derek said sarcastically, as he got up and left.