Path of Radiance VS Radiant Dawn

Lilmik11

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Graphics/interface are a given for RD. I liked the flow of PoR better, though. It didn't seem as forced as RD's story. FE games are pretty much designed to be unbalanced, but RD takes it to a new level by throwing all sorts of useless characters and gamebreakers at you. I'd also complain about the inclusion of furrieslaguz but this is just about PoR and RD

I liked Radiant Dawn a lot better. I thought that the gameplay was superior in RD because of:

-battle saves

-laguz are more useful

-transferable skills (allows for more tactical combinations)

-better support system (from a gameplay perspective - again, it allows for many more tactical combinations.)

-biorhythm actually matters (this is a personal thing. I thought it was neat that units could seemingly go through high and low moods. In FE9, biorhythm had next to no effect and I only ever remembered it when seeing it on the status screen)

-difficulty

RD also had much, much better graphics (call me superficial, but they're fun to watch sometimes =D), and IMO, way better music. Not to mention that some of FE9's movies were/sounded really cheesy.

I wasn't really impressed by the writing in either of the games. FE9's story was not really that well executed, in my opinion. A lot of it felt very long-winded and I felt like I was scrolling through loads and loads of text just to get to the meat of the game. Yes, they had support conversations that were more than 2 lines long, unlike RD's, but a lot of them I felt were shallow and badly written anyway (like Mia's "Are you my rival?" or Ilyana's "I'm so hungry, feed me!" or Gatrie's "Oh look! A girl!"). In addition, FE9's plot had gaping holes and left me with a really unsatisfied feeling.

Overall, FE10 was just a lot more epic for me. I personally loved how the game had 4 Parts and how I was forced to use different characters for each part. It gave me a chance to use a larger range of characters. In FE10, I would never have thought of using Lucia or Geoffrey or Elincia, but here they all contribute to a few chapters. In contrast, in FE9 I just constantly used the same 10-12 units over and over again.

Others may disagree, but here's my two cents smile.gif

(Also, Ike is way hotter in FE10. And Volug's abs exist.)

FE10 has the polish, but if applied to FE9, FE9 provides with the better overall character experience, and that would give it the edge with the same attention. And that's considering the fact that they worked on a deadline for FE9 and had to cut stuff to meet it.

The cast was simply more approachable. FE9 is probably easier to improve, anyway. Drop Biorhythm(which, really, both games could lose), add more skills(something FE10 really failed to do on scale with characters anyway, since doing it right means a skill per character, and a scroll per skill), FE10's better skill system(in terms of built in skills, anyway), add more support conversations(and not in FE10's vein. More FE7), improve Laguz, and up difficulty.

FE10 has the polish, but if applied to FE9, FE9 provides with the better overall character experience, and that would give it the edge with the same attention. And that's considering the fact that they worked on a deadline for FE9 and had to cut stuff to meet it.

The cast was simply more approachable. FE9 is probably easier to improve, anyway. Drop Biorhythm(which, really, both games could lose), add more skills(something FE10 really failed to do on scale with characters anyway, since doing it right means a skill per character, and a scroll per skill), FE10's better skill system(in terms of built in skills, anyway), add more support conversations(and not in FE10's vein. More FE7), improve Laguz, and up difficulty.

I liked biorhythm...