I'm New to This and I Need A Lot of Help

Soren37

So I would like to try my hand at a FE hack, most likely the Sacred Stones. I haven't downloaded Nightmare yet or played around with anything, but I do have some very basic, if almost stupid, questions.

1) If I wish to change a character's stats/growths/levels, do I have to use a hex to dec or vice-versa?

2) What good spriting tools are there, as I need to recolour quite a few and/or make new ones.

3) In addition to sprites, what would I use to replace the current sprite with one of my own.

I know that Nightmare is the program to go to, but I do need a lot of help. I'll use this as an example.

Eirika starts off at Level 1 Lord with 16 HP, 4 STR, 8 SKL, 9 SPD, 5 LCK, 3 DEF, 1 RES, and 5 MOV. Say I wanted to do this.

Eirika's name changes to Morgan, along with a recoloured/custom sprite.

Her base level is now 3, with 20 HP, 5 STR, 9 SKL, 11 SPD, 5 LCK, 4 DEF, 2 RES, and 6 MOV.

What would be affected to bring about these changes?

Very simple

In Nightmare, go to the FE8 character editor Module, go to Eirika, change her level and base stats(stats shown in nightmare are added to class bases for full base stats)

For her mug, you need FEditor. use the portrait editor for that.

For text, you use the text editor in FEditor. Simply type in Eirika, then type Morgan in the 'replace' box, then press replace all.

...It's really that simple?

Christ, I saw a sample video for Radiant Dawn hacking, and you had to convert back and forth between hex and dec so many times I was afraid of hacking.

Well then, now that I know that, I have two more questions.

If I want to change events, such as, let's say Amelia's entrance, would I find an event editor in Nightmare for that? Would that also include being able to include my own events?

Along with the Text Editor in FEditor, would that also allow me to change which characters say what?

We'll use the opening and a support as an example.

Opening

The continent of Canada.

For some 800 Years, a quiet peace reigned in the absence of the terrible darkness.

The Sacred Stones have been passed from generation to generation. Nations have been built around their power and their legacy.

The Kingdom of Toronto, ruled by Layton, the peerless Warrior King.

The Kingdom of Liberal, ruled by Ignatieff, the venerable Sage King.

The Kingdom of Studmuffin Cowboys, ruled by Six-Pack, Queen of the White Dunes.

The theocracy of Quebec, which was a dick country that everyone hated.

The Soren Empire, ruled by Soren37, the stalwart Silent Emperor.

These five countries house the power of the Sacred Stones.

Joshua x Artur C

Adam: Hey, Scott! You're looking pretty pleased with yourself today. Care to make a bet? If I win, we'll hit the training again tonight.

Scott: No need for bets, Adam. I'll be happy to train with you.

Adam: You're volunteering? Are you feeling all right? Did you take a blow to the head?

Scott: No, no. I'm fine. I'm just offering to help you out. It's easier than losing another bet to you.

Adam: What do you mean? You've got even odds of winning.

Scott: You must be joking! Out of the past 21 coin flips, I've won two, and you've won 19! Those are impossible odds to beat, so there's only one answer. You must have some divine betting power or something. If I can help you train, I will, but I don't want to lose anymore.

Adam: Hmph... But that's no fun! All right, you don't have to train with me if you don't want to bet.

Scott: ...Excuse me?

Adam: I don't have any divine power. You've won 11 out of 21 coin tosses so far. We're about even. I was...cheating. Just a little, though.

Scott: You cheated? You damn idiot, I trusted you!

Adam: Yep. That's your problem. I know trust and faith are important to you monkly types. So I abused that knowledge and got a training partner?

Scott: So you lied to me?

Adam: Yep.

Scott: ...You asshole! Get back so I can fry you with shinyness!

The text editor in FEditor will also let you do that. Just find the text you want changed, type in what you want in it's place, in the proper format, then press 'apply'.

The hardest part of in editting text is finding the text you want to edit. The search command will be your friend.

...I am completely shocked that it is that simple.

What about events though, such as Amelia showing up on Ch.9 Eirika route? Is there any way to change that?

That is a bit more difficult, I've never tried something like that. I think it could be done in Nightmare, with the chapter unit module. Go to the offset of the chapter that you want her, and replace another character(preferably starting enemy) with her. Change the level/alignment of her, her starting position, and her starting items, then all you need to do is take her out of the chapter she is supposed to be in, which you simply do the opposite.