2010-11 NFL Season

Life

It started last Thursday with the Saints knocking off the Vikings. And now we are done Week 1. Thoughts?

The Bills will not do better than 3-13 this season. Hell, if we go 0-16, I will not be surprised. Hopefully Ralph Wilson dies soon.

6 minutes in and Green Bay is already up on the Bills 6-0. I'll start watching the game in a bit but it's going to be a long day.

As for fantasy football, I have Ronnie Brown, Brandon Marshall, TO, Tony Moeki (Chiefs rookie TE) and Robbie Gould playing right now. Another long day is ahead. Thank god for Peyton Manning and Pierre Thomas.

whos gonna beat the texans in the playoffs? they just raped the team who won the AFC last year.

The Colts have always been an...interesting team. They can randomly end up nearly anywhere in the standings (well, not quite anywhere. I doubt they'll fall below 6 wins, anyway). I wouldn't be surprised if they miss the playoffs or something. Then Houston beating them wouldn't really mean much for Houston. Or they could simply start playing better as the season goes on and make it deep in the playoffs again. Houston winning still wouldn't mean much for Houston. Did you watch the game to see how well/badly the Colts played?

And about the predictions of various gambling places, didn't many betting sites have them as the favourite? http://www.thespread.com/nfl-articles/020810-2011-super-bowl-xlv-odds-to-win-colts-favored-by-oddsmakers-at-61

I don't know which team I'd pick for the favourite, but I know I wouldn't pick them. Even though they are my favourite team.

The Colts have always been an...interesting team. They can randomly end up nearly anywhere in the standings (well, not quite anywhere. I doubt they'll fall below 6 wins, anyway). I wouldn't be surprised if they miss the playoffs or something. Then Houston beating them wouldn't really mean much for Houston. Or they could simply start playing better as the season goes on and make it deep in the playoffs again. Houston winning still wouldn't mean much for Houston. Did you watch the game to see how well/badly the Colts played?

I would be. I'm pretty sure the Colts have gone to the playoffs 8 times in the last 9 years. And Houston winning is huge since before that game, they were 1-15 against the Colts. This is the best Texans team I've seen to date.

Oh and Peyton Manning had a hell of a game last week. 3 TDs, no INTs, 400+ yards and he still lost. That says something.

I would be. I'm pretty sure the Colts have gone to the playoffs 8 times in the last 9 years. And Houston winning is huge since before that game, they were 1-15 against the Colts. This is the best Texans team I've seen to date.

Oh and Peyton Manning had a hell of a game last week. 3 TDs, no INTs, 400+ yards and he still lost. That says something.

Um, the Colts had a great offence for a long time and still had issues in the past. eg only two trips to the super bowl. PM can't do it all alone so he needs the defence to be good. Now, I didn't watch the game, maybe you did. Was their defence comparable to last year? Think about how many wins they squeeked out in the teens. Although, it can be hard to look at a score like last week's and figure out whether the offence was good or the defence was bad. Or what the ratio is if both happened. This week should give an indication on both sides since they are playing different teams.

Besides all of that, there are still the other two teams in that division to worry about. Even if they start doing well, it's hard to make the playoffs in that division. Think AL East in baseball.

Last season, Indy was a dominating team. They were also dominating in this game, but the Texans pulled off a pretty impressive win since Manning had tied up the game at about 14 all in the 2nd quarter. Don't discredit the Texans. They played great in this game. They are probably going to be the team to watch in the AFC this season.

EDIT: That tripping call on Ray Lewis was bullshit. That being said, I've got TO so it keeps the Bengals drive alive.

Edited by 4chan

Last season, Indy was a dominating team. They were also dominating in this game, but the Texans pulled off a pretty impressive win since Manning had tied up the game at about 14 all in the 2nd quarter. Don't discredit the Texans. They played great in this game. They are probably going to be the team to watch in the AFC this season.

Like I said, see what happens with the other teams. It's not exactly easy to get a playoff spot in that division. Houston was 9 and 7 last year and missed the playoffs. Wait until they play another game within their division before predicting a playoff birth. They were 1-5 in their division last year. That's what killed them. If they'd gotten even one more win they would have had a playoff spot. 1-5 in 2007, 2-4 in 2008, 1-5 in 2009. We'll see how this year works with that. They play Indy again in week 8, Jacksonville weeks 10 and 17, Tennessee weeks 12 and 15. By week 12, if they win 2 of 3 (3 of 4 total), I'll believe that they could reach the playoffs and do something there (obviously dependent on how they do against everyone else, but considering they were 8-2 last season against teams outside their division they probably won't actually have a problem there).

Don't talk to me about hard divisions. I support a 7-9 team that was last in their division for the past couple of years.

EDIT: Michael Vick - 18/27, 251 Yards, 2 TDs, 40 Rushing Yards and Philly is beating Detroit 28-17 with 6 minutes left in the 3rd quarter. And he's the back-up behind Kevin Kolb. Ever since he got out of jail, Vick's been training with Tony Dungy. I'd start Vick on half of the teams in the NFL because he's turned himself around 180% since he keeps claiming that he's just filling in until Kolb is healthy.

Edited by 4chan

Don't talk to me about hard divisions. I support a 7-9 team that was last in their division for the past couple of years.

Bills? They weren't 7-9 last year. That was 2008. But yeah, 7-9 and last in their division. Of course, in 2009 the Jaguars were 7-9 and last in their division while Buffalo was 6-10. Granted, Buffalo was 2-4 in their division and Jacksonville was 3-3 in theirs, so they both had the same 4-6 record outside their division. All that means is that AFC East and AFC South are the two toughest divisions. Doesn't mean Houston isn't in one. Interestingly, Cleveland (5 and 11) had the same outside of division record as Buffalo and Jacksonville -> 4 and 6.

Anyway, it sucks that "wait and see" means "wait until week 10 or 12", since it would be nice to know how Houston will fare against their division a little earlier on. Ah well. Looks like Tennessee is about to lose to the Steelers. One quarter left.

Oh, and tough divisions? Boston (Red Sox) are third in the AL East. They are 7 games back from the Yankees. In the AL West, they'd be 1.5 games back, in the NL Central, they'd be 1.5 games back. In the NL West, they'd be 1 game back. Yeah. And they are third. Or how about the second place Rays? Yeah, they'd be first in every single division except the AL East. I think the AL East kinda has the prize on tough divisions in major sports leagues.

Bills? They weren't 7-9 last year. That was 2008. But yeah, 7-9 and last in their division. Of course, in 2009 the Jaguars were 7-9 and last in their division while Buffalo was 6-10. Granted, Buffalo was 2-4 in their division and Jacksonville was 3-3 in theirs, so they both had the same 4-6 record outside their division. All that means is that AFC East and AFC South are the two toughest divisions. Doesn't mean Houston isn't in one. Interestingly, Cleveland (5 and 11) had the same outside of division record as Buffalo and Jacksonville -> 4 and 6.

Anyway, it sucks that "wait and see" means "wait until week 10 or 12", since it would be nice to know how Houston will fare against their division a little earlier on. Ah well. Looks like Tennessee is about to lose to the Steelers. One quarter left.

Oh, and tough divisions? Boston (Red Sox) are third in the AL East. They are 7 games back from the Yankees. In the AL West, they'd be 1.5 games back, in the NL Central, they'd be 1.5 games back. In the NL West, they'd be 1 game back. Yeah. And they are third. Or how about the second place Rays? Yeah, they'd be first in every single division except the AL East. I think the AL East kinda has the prize on tough divisions in major sports leagues.

How about my Blue Jays? Best offense in the AL and they won't get to the playoffs. But baseball is a horrible sport anyway.

And 6 turnovers by the Titans. God, they suck today. Same with Arizona. And my Bills. My season is over.

Edited by 4chan

How about my Blue Jays? Best offense in the AL and they won't get to the playoffs. But baseball is a horrible sport anyway.

Well, we are kinda bad with the whole "not allowing runs" thing, ya know. (Remember, I'm from Toronto (close enough, anyway), too)

Also, a lot of our runs are overkill and just skew the statistics. Better to take an average while capping runs per game at 5 more than the other guy. Anything beyond that pads statistics and doesn't really indicate much. Like, say, how many games they lose 1-0 or 3-2 or something because their offence just didn't work that day.

And 6 turnovers by the Titans. God, they suck today. Same with Arizona. And my Bills. My season is over.

Yeah, I haven't really cheered for the Bills ever since they decided not to go with Flutie in the playoffs. And they lost the first game. Congrats, owner. You got your guy into the game. Aren't you glad? You know, rather than that guy who got you there?

Not that I'm saying 100% he would have won that game. Heck, maybe they would have done worse. But switching quarterbacks that late in the season was kind of dumb.

Edited by Narga_Rocks

Well, we are kinda bad with the whole "not allowing runs" thing, ya know. (Remember, I'm from Toronto (close enough, anyway), too)

What? Where? Gimme an address now and we can go for a couple of beers if you're 19 or over. Since I'm 19 in 2 weeks.

Yeah, I haven't really cheered for the Bills ever since they decided not to go with Flutie in the playoffs. And they lost the first game. Congrats, owner. You got your guy into the game. Aren't you glad? You know, rather than that guy who got you there?

Not that I'm saying 100% he would have won that game. Heck, maybe they would have done worse. But switching quarterbacks that late in the season was kind of dumb.

I don't know why I torture myself by watching the Bills and trying to stay optimistic.

I don't understand why Chan Gailey doesn't dump the entire offensive line right now and sign 5 new guys. Every Buffalo fan knows that the offensive line is the cause of most of our offensive problems.

And about the predictions of various gambling places, didn't many betting sites have them as the favourite? http://www.thespread.com/nfl-articles/020810-2011-super-bowl-xlv-odds-to-win-colts-favored-by-oddsmakers-at-61

I don't know which team I'd pick for the favourite, but I know I wouldn't pick them. Even though they are my favourite team.

bold, yes of course 8 years in a row of 12+ wins is random?

I thought texans were big underdogs...

Like I said, see what happens with the other teams. It's not exactly easy to get a playoff spot in that division. Houston was 9 and 7 last year and missed the playoffs. Wait until they play another game within their division before predicting a playoff birth. They were 1-5 in their division last year. That's what killed them. If they'd gotten even one more win they would have had a playoff spot. 1-5 in 2007, 2-4 in 2008, 1-5 in 2009. We'll see how this year works with that. They play Indy again in week 8, Jacksonville weeks 10 and 17, Tennessee weeks 12 and 15. By week 12, if they win 2 of 3 (3 of 4 total), I'll believe that they could reach the playoffs and do something there (obviously dependent on how they do against everyone else, but considering they were 8-2 last season against teams outside their division they probably won't actually have a problem there).

dont remind me about 1-5 i was sitting right in front of the ball kris brown kicked that missed when we lost to the titans...

god i hope they pull it together in the 4th quarter against washington.

I didnt know you lived in Houston narga.

Edited by Fenrir

I don't. Well, I think their name is kinda funny, but no I neither like nor dislike them. For whatever reason, my favourite team is the Colts and I can't help it.

oh, i misunderstood you, when you said "even though there my favorite team" i thought u meant the texans. my bad.

I used to live in indianapolis so im as much of a colts fan as i can be while going for the giants and texans, and it is a pretty dumb name =/

but damn, gotta give em props for a 35yd TD pass on 4th and 10, right when he was about to throw it i thought Eli manning in the super bowl when that guy caught it with his head.

EDIT: That tripping call on Ray Lewis was bullshit. That being said, I've got TO so it keeps the Bengals drive alive.

Ravens got screwed, probably worse than the Lions.

thats not even possible.

10-9, Suggs makes a form tackle, and is called for roughing the passer to set up a FG. Without the call, the Bengals more than likely struggle with two downs left; Palmer was inept at making 'must' passes all day, and they were 3/18 on third down conversions. If the Ravens get the ball back, they don't have to make another pass all game and can run the ball and kill the clock instead of throwing an INT. The Bengals, at best, would have gotten the ball back at their 30-40 with 2-3 minutes left.

It's not far off to say that a bad call cost them the game. The offensive play and play calling should have been much better all game, but the defense and running game were playing at a level good enough to beat a weak offensive team like the Bengals are building up to be.

10-9, Suggs makes a form tackle, and is called for roughing the passer to set up a FG. Without the call, the Bengals more than likely struggle with two downs left; Palmer was inept at making 'must' passes all day, and they were 3/18 on third down conversions. If the Ravens get the ball back, they don't have to make another pass all game and can run the ball and kill the clock instead of throwing an INT. The Bengals, at best, would have gotten the ball back at their 30-40 with 2-3 minutes left.

It's not far off to say that a bad call cost them the game. The offensive play and play calling should have been much better all game, but the defense and running game were playing at a level good enough to beat a weak offensive team like the Bengals are building up to be.

That's all in theory though, what if palmer threw a touchdown pass on the next play? it was still an awful call, but the calvin johnson call was terrible, they lost the game because of it, and theres no way they couldve lost if they didnt make that call.

Edited by Fenrir

That's all in theory though, what if palmer threw a touchdown pass on the next play? it was still an awful call, but the calvin johnson call was terrible, they lost the game because of it, and theres no way they couldve lost if they didnt make that call.

With that same logic, if he really caught it the first time, he should have been able to repeat it; He had the chance after the play to do it again.