when a pokemon's type has nothing to do with the pokemon (grr)

geozeldadude

can someone please explain to me why (at least in gen III) there's a pokemon like aggron who is rock/steel but can only learn two rock moves, neither of which are that great? this is the first time i've used a pokemon whose moves had nothing to do with its type (or at least its second type).

can someone please explain to me why (at least in gen III) there's a pokemon like aggron who is rock/steel but can only learn two rock moves, neither of which are that great? this is the first time i've used a pokemon whose moves had nothing to do with its type (or at least its second type).

In Ruby/Sapphire, Aron and his evolutions could only learn one damaging non-HP Rock-type move(Rock Tomb), which was complete crap compared to Rock Slide(same PP, but +10 accuracy and +25 Might over Rock Tomb). This did change somewhat once FireRed/LeafGreen and Emerald were released, since those games had tutored moves, and one of those was Rock Slide, effectively giving Aggron good STAB without relying on the somewhat inaccurate Iron Tail.

Some other Pokes were affected by a lack of decent STAB moves, but not as badly as pre-Emerald Aggron, Gen III Gyarados(his only STAB that wasn't a special move was HP Fly), and Gen III Registeel(he only had Metal Claw for STAB, which was ass; seriously, EQ has +25 might over MC AFTER factoring in STAB.).

Edited by DA125