d20 Games

Soren37

1880s Victorian London sounds absolutely perfect. Like the exact image I have of the series.

I might try to pick it up when I get some spare cash, then. OR MAYBE I'LL CHECK IT OUT RIGHT NOW EVEN THOUGH I DON'T kekekekeke :awesome:

I don't think the Chaosium books are in print anymore, to be honest, so you really can't buy it. BTW, their Supplemental material is amazing, especially the setting stuff--there is really close attention to period detail that makes it come alive. The 1890's sourcebook is one one of my personal favorites, too.

Edited by Le Communard

I've always sort of been opposed to the d20 mentality that not only is bashing shit over the head the most efficious solution, but the entire *point* of the game

I blame the players, hahaha, the rulebooks actually explicitly state that any method of overcoming an obstacle should net you similar experience, and all reasonable options should be made possible. Can't fault you on the power growth thing (to be fair, it's not really unlimited, especially in 4e, but that's kind of a moot point); if you want to keep your heroes from being near god power level it can be kind of hard in DnD...

Kind of a problem with the group I play WoD with, though, since multiple people there are power gamers.

Power gamers as in "hey look I optimize my character", or power gamers as in "duuuuuuuuuuuuuuur dur dur deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerp"?

I have heard it used in both forms and more, so yeah.

I blame the players, hahaha, the rulebooks actually explicitly state that any method of overcoming an obstacle should net you similar experience, and all reasonable options should be made possible. Can't fault you on the power growth thing (to be fair, it's not really unlimited, especially in 4e, but that's kind of a moot point); if you want to keep your heroes from being near god power level it can be kind of hard in DnD...

The same experience? Thats a little ridiculous: a major de-incentivization for any sort of cleverness, or obeying the wishes of the master. How are you supposed to railroad players into becoming unthinking drones? :P As for the power issue I think its really a bi-product of the level system used in d20 games and is sort of endemic.

But I believe someone was talking earlier about a game...?

Edited by Le Communard

Power gamers as in "hey look I optimize my character", or power gamers as in "duuuuuuuuuuuuuuur dur dur deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerp"?

I have heard it used in both forms and more, so yeah.

Both, but I was talking about the former. Optimizing characters is a relatively pointless affair in WoD, the stats are only there to give a bit of definition to the storyline. It's not a very difficult system to fuck around with, so it becomes tiring when players at the table will want to make yet another grizzled ex-veteran with 5 dots in firearms.

It has its own cool rules and nice things to toy around with, but every stat in WoD is supposed to have reasonable backstory. You can get away without explaining trained skills and shit in D&D, but in WoD there should be a good explanation for everything.

Both, but I was talking about the former. Optimizing characters is a relatively pointless affair in WoD, the stats are only there to give a bit of definition to the storyline. It's not a very difficult system to fuck around with, so it becomes tiring when players at the table will want to make yet another grizzled ex-veteran with 5 dots in firearms.

It has its own cool rules and nice things to toy around with, but every stat in WoD is supposed to have reasonable backstory. You can get away without explaining trained skills and shit in D&D, but in WoD there should be a good explanation for everything.

Oh, so you mean they're the type of people who don't really roleplay so well/do shit just because they think it looks cool on the character sheet? And apparently don't even do that well...

And Communard, we were talking about a game; I'm pretty busy right now, but if I think I could find the time I might start one. I do have a bad habit of spreading myself too thin though, so I'm a little hesitant. Also, you're kind of right about the level system, honestly; when the final bar is set at X height (or isn't set at all), and you proceed linearly there, it gets a lot more out of hand than shit like GURPS (if you can even figure out how to move in GURPS) where the GM can mostly keep the players at any power level he chooses without seeming like a fucking asshole.

Edited by ZXValaRevan

Oh, so you mean they're the type of people who don't really roleplay so well/do shit just because they think it looks cool on the character sheet? And apparently don't even do that well...

Yeah. The first couple times it was kind of cool for me, but even when they feel like roleplaying, they don't really get into the notion that they're not incredibly powerful heroes. They're in the mindset of playing D&D, where players are supposed to start off a cut above the rest.

It's hard for them to understand that even as vampires or mages or werewolves, or what have you, they're not always unstoppable monsters from the outset. I have all these awesome idea arcs in my head from splat books, but it's so hard to apply it because I can't get them to view it as a horror game. I'm trying to put together a surreal kind of thing, but they always decide to go after the bump in the night. I guess they think they're looking for loot, or something. :V

I suppose it has been getting better, though. Beforehand it was just downright ridiculous. Now I can put together some semblance of a plot.

Edited by Esau of Isaac

I'm trying to put together a surreal kind of thing, but they always decide to go after the bump in the night.

You aren't giving up are you? Fine. You and the party finally encounter the Star Vampire. Being as how it is, however, COMPLETELY INVISIBLE, you can do nothing but watch as Dave starts writing in pain as he is entrapped within the beasts hideous (invisible) tentacles and it engorges itself on his blood. His screams are terrible, so terrible: you can think only of making it stop. The sight is utterly traumatic and inhuman, everybody please make a sanity check, 2/1d10. What's that, Jeff, you failed with a 7? I'm afraid something isn't right with Jeff anymore. While the Vampire continues his meal, something comes over Jeff's face as draws his .31 and points it at Andrew....

And I was going to give them some powder of Ibn Ghazi too.

Edited by Le Communard

Oh yeah, speaking of madness and Call of Cthulhu, I was totally planning for my current WoD game to have Old Ones of some form present. I was actually planning on having them listen to this song in a coming session, when I plan for them to start happening upon a deeper situation involving primal beings such as them.

Oh yeah, speaking of madness and Call of Cthulhu, I was totally planning for my current WoD game to have Old Ones of some form present. I was actually planning on having them listen to this song in a coming session, when I plan for them to start happening upon a deeper situation involving primal beings such as them.

Thats a fine CD (the Mythos Christmas Carols, or something like that). Have you heard A Shoggoth on the Roof before? That is hilarious. Myself, I've been trying to find some people to play Delta Green with (Delta Green is a frankly, staggeringly awesome modern CoC setting), and have a pretty elaborate campaign worked out, but I really haven't had any luck.