I am performing an AAAA ranked run log.

FionordeQuester

23 members have voted

1. 1. Should enemy animations be on or off?

• Off
    • On

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys, I have redone all of Chapter 1 with new and improved strategies and editing! Here you guys go!!

I have a question. Instead of having three seperate threads for AAAA ranked runs, why don't we just combine it all into one thread?

I second Spoon's notion that separate threads are more organized, especially for chronicling the specific, project aspects of the playthrough, such as for updates, etc. While there may be some worth to a centralized, melting-pot, general ranked discussion thread... I don't know whether creating one would serve any real purpose at this point.

Regarding the strategies:

I'm now thoroughly convinced of the superiority of Dew on the church. Your experiment with Ayra's AI was also interesting to see.

Regarding the boss abuse: I think Chapter 1 is a terrible time to boss abuse. Those turns would have been much better abused during Chapter 3 against the respawning Orgahill Pirates. Or, if leveling up your stats to complete Chapter 2's arena is the significant motivation, then abuse during Chapter 2 against one of the bosses with Great Shield to decrease the risk of premature fatal injury to the boss (the Defense Ring boss in particular comes to mind as perhaps the best candidate). At least in Chapter 2 and 3 you can grow your Finn x Lachesis pairing, if that is still your gameplan, while the wasted turns in Chapter 1 don't help enhance any pairings that could in anyway be construed as "difficult to make". As much as I have personal distaste for boss abuse, and running up the turn count needlessly, I will definitely admit that tactics is a lenient rank, and it is a viable strategy for increasing your handle on the Experience rank.

Noish should make pretty good use of the Skill Ring, I suppose.

[spoiler=Unrelated Ramblings about Lex that I figured I may as well leave in the post even though after I finished writing I realized had nothing really to do with the subject on hand, but rather with difficulties I was currently facing in my own run.]If it were possible to get it to Lex without having him kill the boss, that would have been great, but sadly he'll just have to deal with his accuracy issues. Going up against Navarre in Chapter 5 Arena will be a chore, though. I think it will take significant abuse to land the 4 hits needed to KO him at the ~25% displayed (Navarre's Speed 24 - 5 for Wind Sword is 19. x2 to 38 base Avoid, +20 for WTA + 20 for in Arena = 78 avoid. Hero Axe has 70 Accuracy, Lex will have probably have his average 16 skill for an additional 32 Accuracy, for a final result of 24 displayed hit.) before getting KO'd when he's getting doubled, occasionally continued to get tripled or quaded from 33 attack power which at average defense takes off 9 HP a pop, leaving him 6 to 7 hit KO'd at basically 100% accuracy. Considering Navarre is faster and it goes N L L N N L L N N, in the five guaranteed attacks he has, at 39% Continue rate, that means it's most likely that Continue will go off twice, meaning Lex never gets to initiate the third round of combat.

Then again, the +10 accuracy afforded by the Skill Ring may not make things any better. He might just try borrowing the Defense Ring for that single fight (he has the cash to spare) to bolster his significant concrete durability edge, pushing the figures to something like a 13-14 HKO, basically doubling his fighting time, and meaning he only needs to connect four of eight attacks at 25%. I think that improves the odds from 1 in 256 to something much more favorable like ~11%, but I may have flubbed my probability theory.

I'm pretty sure Sigurd didn't really need it, but I did have him kill a lot of people sitting on castles with their huge +30 Avoid.

Don't worry about how to pronounce my username. I try not to either. (Anything that sounds remotely reasonable is fine.)

I'm not sure if there are any real comments left to make that haven't been mentioned before.

Hm, regarding the Orgahill pirates, wouldn't I have to let Pizarro live in order to take advantage of that? Because that was going to be my plan, but I thought you could only get reinforcements by letting the commanders retreat back to the Castle, just like reinforcements would only show up from Genoa if Kinbois survived and retreated back to the castle?

As for the Chapter 2 bosses, my thought was, I didn't want to deal with the hassle of Great Shield, I wouldn't have had as easy a time of dodging their attacks, and I'd only have one healer, Ethlin, to restore everyone.... <_<

Of course, I just realized that that last point would be mitigated by Sylvia, but whatever.

Also, I wanted to boost Dew's combat to respectable levels and clear most of the Arena with him before leaving the Chapter. I was scared for his offense because on most normal playthroughs for me, he can't even get past the lance knight in Chapter 2.

Edited by FionordeQuester

Hm, regarding the Orgahill pirates, wouldn't I have to let Pizarro live in order to take advantage of that? Because that was going to be my plan, but I thought you could only get reinforcements by letting the commanders retreat back to the Castle, just like reinforcements would only show up from Genoa if Kinbois survived and retreated back to the castle?

Temporarily, of course. You kill Pizarro when you're finished abusing to still collect the Leg Ring, obviously, though. As far as I learned minibosses retreat when one of two conditions is satisfied: their underlings are all (mostly?) defeated, or when the boss themself has sustained "heavy" damage. It should be easy enough to rig some easy Orgahill XP on any playthrough.

As for the Chapter 2 bosses, my thought was, I didn't want to deal with the hassle of Great Shield, I wouldn't have had as easy a time of dodging their attacks, and I'd only have one healer, Ethlin, to restore everyone.... <_<

Of course, I just realized that that last point would be mitigated by Sylvia, but whatever.

Also, I wanted to boost Dew's combat to respectable levels and clear most of the Arena with him before leaving the Chapter. I was scared for his offense because on most normal playthroughs for me, he can't even get past the lance knight in Chapter 2.

True, I didn't consider the shift from WTA to WTD when I made that suggestion. In Chapter 2, it really isn't a priority for people to clear the arena immediately, and may actually be in their favor to wait. Return and Warp staff are already bound to be getting heavy workout.

On a different note, Dew's offense picks up immeasureably once he gets the Wind Sword. Whoever grabs the Power Ring should just sell it for liquid assets so that Dew can buy it and hold onto it until you're ready to assign things for your final inheritances. That should easily solve any offense problems he will ever have, in my experience. Chapter 4 was an amazing playground for Dew, and he gained 11.5 levels. He carried the Elite Ring until after seizing the first castle, which undoubtedly explains most of that huge XP, after that point he passed it to Tiltyu.

Edited by Balcerzak

I see. But wait, how would you kill Pizarro after he's already retreated into the castle? I don't know about him, but I remember when I tested having Kinbois retreat into the castle, he wouldn't come out after I killed all of the reinforcements. Of course, maybe I wasn't patient enough, but I just thought that Pizarro would be impossible to kill after going in the castle.

By the way, Balcerzak, how was the commentary and energy this time around? Was it more enjoyable then the last time? I mean, besides the pauses in most conversations (I was going to record the voices later, but again, the text sped through too fast).

I see. But wait, how would you kill Pizarro after he's already retreated into the castle? I don't know about him, but I remember when I tested having Kinbois retreat into the castle, he wouldn't come out after I killed all of the reinforcements. Of course, maybe I wasn't patient enough, but I just thought that Pizarro would be impossible to kill after going in the castle.

I dunno, why don't you watch Balcerzak's run and see how he did it?

I somehow missed this last week. I don't know what you had happen with Kinbois, but that doesn't sound like the AI behaviour for any other retreating boss I'm familiar with. Each other boss I've worked with (Pizarro, Deetva) are the first to come out when they bring the reinforcements.

I'm now curious enough I may plow through a quick Prologue on a separate file and see just what's up with Kinbois.

I remember damaging Kinbois greatly before he retreated. Perhaps the AI won't come out if the boss is greatly damaged?

Also, it may be a bit before I do my next video. School pressures are really catching up to me, and I can't allow any distractions in what I'm doing.