Hatari's Splices

Hatari

FE8's colors are more saturated than FE7's, they just look bad together.

You're...partly wrong. FE7 colors look bad with FE8's because of the difference

of shades, not saturation levels. FE8 style, but with low-saturated colors can

look good, as seen on some of The blind archer's work.

The lower the saturation, the more faded the color itself is. Black/white/grey

is the result of no saturation.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saturation is basically the intensity of the color. Something that has low saturation is relatively muted, while something with high saturation is generally very vibrant and colorful. (NOTE: Saturation =/= Brightness. Brightness handles the intensity of the *light* on a color. A red color with high brightness is more pink, while a red color with low brightness might be "blood red" in color.)

Ah, this makes sense. Thanks Glenn...that answers my question on how to make my colors less dull as well ^_^.

untitled.png

The most obvious fix is to make sure an outline surrounds your character, the red part is where the border is missing.

(The left side OurPV, has border but it's plain black)

To be honest, I didn't mind the FE7/8 color combination in this splice, but the border should be one single color. I know you posted it before coloring, so my apologies if you already planned to do that.

Recoloring is easy, not sure if you already know this but:

-Select the eyedropper

-Left click on the color you want to change (blue)

-Select the eyedropper again

-Right click on the color you want to change to (red). (You'll need another mug for the color you want)

-Select the eraser.

-Hover your eraser over color you want to change (blue) and right click.

*Note, some programs seem to require you to set your setting to paint setting to transparent*

I use MSpaint and it works for me :P

Shouldn't take any longer then 5 minutes, even for a really complicated splice.

untitled.png

The most obvious fix is to make sure an outline surrounds your character, the red part is where the border is missing.

(The left side OurPV, has border but it's plain black)

To be honest, I didn't mind the FE7/8 color combination in this splice, but the border should be one single color. I know you posted it before coloring, so my apologies if you already planned to do that.

Opps, didn't even realize the border was missing...I never thought to re-add it since it wasn't there in the first place, lol hair. Whenever I get around to fixing this one I'll remember to add that. Re-color and border, okie day.

Working on the gale based one. Resize resize!

Is that a humongous bun or a growth? haha I'm just kidding. :)

She does have man shoulders though

Well, she does have LONG hair :P...

She does?! well, it IS Roland's armor after all, so makes sense.

and tbh, I didn't notice, her and Roland are about the same size...so must have went under my broken art radar ;-)

She does?! well, it IS Roland's armor after all, so makes sense.

and tbh, I didn't notice, her and Roland are about the same size...so must have went under my broken art radar ;-)

Yes, it's Roland's armor, so, shrink it to make her have not man shoulders? :<

I mean, it's not like you can't.

This is basically false...my ability to resize anything is pretty much close to zero. I'm having issues with that right now with Gale...

No need to resize it :<

Just sprite it the right size, or find a better body to splice, no?

Speaking of brightness, FE6/7's mugs are generally brighter/more bleached/lighter than FE8's.

Canas-1.pngNayme.gif

See? Even though Canas has purple hair and Neimi has pink, hers still has a darker feel. Same applies to the rest of the mug (and to all other mugs of course).

Edited by Feaw

No need to resize it :<

Just sprite it the right size, or find a better body to splice, no?

I was using the old competition set so Gale, Roland, Tana...

art v_v...generally, I try to not mess with the size since proportions and other things...I can't tell the difference. Even some of the angles look the same...when others tell me they are not. \fails

Edited by Hatari

Well, don't get down about it! Keep trying until you get it right C:

Practice doesn't make perfect. Practice makes more practice.

Also, the round you made the sprite from is over, right? So, you can splice other things onto it :<

Edited by seph1212

Also, the round you made the sprite from is over, right? So, you can splice other things onto it :<

Yes, but I was trying to stay within those rules...at least for the old competitions...so they are kinda my "would-be" entries, if I was splicing at that time...

If I'm picking sets, then I might go beyond three, but three seems pretty standard...

Edited by Hatari

Yes, but I was trying to stay within those rules...at least for the old competitions...so they are kinda my "would-be" entries, if I was splicing at that time...

Well, that just sounds to me like you don't want to fix it :<

Whatevs~

Well, that just sounds to me like you don't want to fix it :<

Whatevs~

I will fix it eventually...but the point of going back to the old ones was to practice for the upcoming and current ones, which follows a 'strict' set of rules. So, using other sprites for those competitions aren't allowed, so it's...learning to work with what you got...type of thing.

I will fix it eventually...but the point of going back to the old ones was to practice for the upcoming and current ones, which follows a 'strict' set of rules. So, using other sprites for those competitions aren't allowed, so it's...learning to work with what you got...type of thing.

I guess I can see that, but going back and fixing up old sprites would make it easier to do new sprites, since, I doubt you're only going to be doing competition sprites, yeah?

I guess I can see that, but going back and fixing up old sprites would make it easier to do new sprites, since, I doubt you're only going to be doing competition sprites, yeah?

actually, customization sprites are something I will never be able to do...so, splicing is "about as good as it's going to get". So, competitions are actually a good goal, though, I will never win and I don't ever plan to...plus, having a pre-picked set...is kinda nice.

I never thought I'd be able to do customs either, but, hey, look at me now.

You guys are good...Astra does some awesome stuff, Lumi too. Vamp is like OMG.

(as a separate mention: nickt's crazy hair is always neat)

Unless I learn the necessary skills, yeah >_> my level will most likely stay, though I was watching some of vamp's vids to get some ideas...

• 3 weeks later...