Drafting Tournaments Explained

Integrity

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not really sure if this thread is the place to ask this sort of question, but how much experience of one of the games should one have to be qualified to play a draft? I haven't done a draft before, but I don't know if I'm even good enough for one.

None really. Drafts are all in fun, and the more you play the better you get at them. Playing the game like you normally would has little impact on drafts, because in drafts you can't just pick "characters you like"/"all top tier characters" and go through, you can only use certain units.

Take me. I've beaten FE games a lot of times, but I'm still terrible at drafts. But I am getting better, point in case, FE4 drafts. I've improved since my first (495 turns total o_o) time.

I'm not really sure if this thread is the place to ask this sort of question, but how much experience of one of the games should one have to be qualified to play a draft? I haven't done a draft before, but I don't know if I'm even good enough for one.

Don't worry about it! I considered myself a great player before starting a draft, but in fact it wasn't true. Drafts are fun and gives a lot of experience that you can't get while playing normally.

Just for the love of God don't be Soul. Actually play a game through normally before you sign up for a draft of it. :P

Agreed. My first playthrough of FE6 HM was during a draft. Not my one of my smartest ideas.

Wait, he did that XD ?

For FE4 AND 5, if I'm not mistaken.

6 HM is another contender (generally) AFAIK, but at least most of those played NM first.

Edited by Integrity

Just for the love of God don't be Soul. Actually play a game through normally before you sign up for a draft of it. :P

Heh.... I believe you all don't realize I've never played FE8 normally before I drafted. Might explain why I'm the slowest to finish (STILL WORKING ON FINISHING MY FE8 DRAFTS!)

Either I'm WAY out of the loop as to what constitutes "normal" in RD drafts anymore, or that's a ridiculous turncount.

I'm guessing at least of the people in the Haar draft will have great turn counts. We're all resetting like crazy, from the sounds of it.

I really need to get back to that, but it's hard to find time when I have to work 8 hours and do school...

Heh.... I believe you all don't realize I've never played FE8 normally before I drafted. Might explain why I'm the slowest to finish (STILL WORKING ON FINISHING MY FE8 DRAFTS!)

And by your own admission look at how well that's going for you eh?

Fair.

So I've been cooking up a rule change for a little while now and it just hit me that one thing needs looked at in FE4.

Lachesis.

Charisma is, hypothetically, a penalty if you use it at all. However, if a player does ANY fighting with the Cross Knights with Lachesis close enough to "recruit" Eltshan, Charisma procs. That should be a penalty. Since I've never seen anybody declare a Lachesis penalty (self included, I'll say, cause I just thought of it), something should be noted.

I think either Charisma should be free as long as units using it aren't attacked (for consistency, no, because Tides are banned in FE10) or Lachesis should be free for use from Madino to Silvail.

Or we do nothing and if anybody recruits Eltshan again press them for a detailed account of how or hit them with a Lachesis penalty. :P

I think we should just let people use Lachesis' Charisma when dealing with the Cross Knights and getting rid of that dumbass, rather than allowing Charisma to be free the whole game. I'd rather not allow Lachesis to be free for any part of time since she can use Rescue if I remember correctly.

You can't have Rescue by then. Even so, Rescue is only available in Gen 1 if Aideen and ...Azel? Claude? fall in love.

EDIT: And to top it off, Lachesis only has C Staves unpromoted.

Edited by Integrity

I think we should just let people use Lachesis' Charisma when dealing with the Cross Knights and getting rid of that dumbass, rather than allowing Charisma to be free the whole game. I'd rather not allow Lachesis to be free for any part of time since she can use Rescue if I remember correctly.

Rescue can't be obtained till Chapter 4 at the earliest, and that requires you to have picked Aideen Azel, which is pretty inefficient for drafts since you're out one child.

As long as she's free before then, I don't see the problem.

I just figured if she's going to do things, she may as well be free. Not as if she contributes much.

Plus, it negates the stupid stupid dumb Cross Knights who randomly like to throw one Javelin at her in one turn and make me angry.

If only this was FE9 or 10 where we could remove skills...

I don't like the idea of making her free to do whatever she wants if the only problem is that she's giving out a +10 evade boost. She can contribute quite a bit since she can use Staves. I can't imagine that it's that hard to keep her away from Javelins.

Edited by Radiant Kitty