Drafting Tournaments Explained

Integrity

In radiant dawn drafts, can an undrafted be taken to endgame to bless another weapon? Or say, can sanaki bless meteor if shes undrafted?

As Integrity already said, this has been allowed in every draft I've seen. Bringing an undrafted Sword user to Endgame to bless a Wyrmslayer is pretty useful.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright, ill remember that for next time. Ive only done it with meteor while tormod blesses rexflame to have the 2 options. Blessing wyrmslayer is something i also had in mind.

Question: Why is 28x banned in FE7 again? I don't think getting Nino over to Jaffar to talk to him is impossible with most teams.

It's not due to unlocking the chapter, it's due to the massive advantage it gives fliers (on top of flying utility being great to begin with). The map can't be beaten in less than 15 or more turns without one.

Basically, if you don't get a flier and this chapter's forced, you lose. Period.

I just finished the Eirika route HM draft in 170 turns. I guess you don't have it logged.

Link: http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=27339&pid=1654667&st=60entry1654667

I'd also like to test a balance issue I think I have found in SS. Warp is overpowered and Franz is overpowered. Warp should be banned in this game, regardless. I have several options to rectify Franz:

1. Ban Franz, make Myrrh or Tethys draftable.

2. Make Franz free, make Myrrh or Tethys draftable.

3. Make Franz and Vanessa free, make Myrrh and Tethys draftable.

Option 1 solves Franz simply. A dancer is largely underwhelming in my experience in this game (even in Eirika mode with more availability), and would be even less useful without warp in play. Myrrh, quite frankly, is pretty terrible at boss killing, which from my understanding, is one of the reasons she's free. She simply takes too much damage from Morva, Lyon, and the Demon King to be a huge gamebreaker on the level someone such as Rutger is in a FE6 HM.

Option 2 also is very simple, but has severe balance issues of its own when you consider Pick 1 will both have Franz and Vanessa.

Option 3 is a little more contrived, and would greatly devalue both early game units and mid-late game fliers.

My personal selection would be option 1. With that in mind, I would like to host a FE8 draft tournament using that ruleset. I would like to invite Integrity and Radiant Dragon to join me in this draft after looking over who has played FE8 drafts before. This would leave one spot open (if they both accept), so, if you are out there, and want to play a draft with a banned Franz, let me know. I ask that you have played a draft within FE8 before, and not have been terrible. Alternatively, if you can show strong knowledge of the game, I'll probably accept you.

Edited by Janissary

Sure, I'll join. An idea I've been passing around in my head is making Seth or Franz free through Chapter 8, and banned once Chapter 9 begins. Franz would be banned totally if we go with free Seth. I don't think Vanessa warrants banning, but I'd guess we'd have to see.

Sure, I'll join. An idea I've been passing around in my head is making Seth or Franz free through Chapter 8, and banned once Chapter 9 begins. Franz would be banned totally if we go with free Seth. I don't think Vanessa warrants banning, but I'd guess we'd have to see.

I'd be willing to play with Franz free through chapter 8, and then banned. That would allow him to help when you need him most, but prevent him from hopelessly trivializing mid to late game.

I don't think Vanessa warrants banning either. Considering that her greatest asset involves her trying to avoid combat, I don't think she would level as quickly as Franz can. I had Franz promoting at level 20 by chapter 8. He has my only early game unit besides Eirika, but even if you give me, say, Lute or Ross, I'm still probably pushing Franz into the level 14-17 range by Chapter 8, which is just absurd. Combined with the fact he's the only cavalier before chapter 8, he just has soo much going for him.

I'm also totally pumped about banning Warp. It was ridiculous how much it trivialized late game.

Yeah, I think Warp warrants banning in FE8, since it appears relatively early and is great in every chapter it's in except Chapter 18.

I don't think using it in Chapter 18 is bad as much as it is not nearly as obviously good as it is in the other chapters. Considering how few uses of Warp you need throughout the game, there's really no reason not to abuse it in Chapter 18. I only used 13/17 possible uses of Warp, and I used 3 (I think) on Chapter 18, so there's certainly enough uses to go around (although, I didn't use it in Chapter 16 due to my fail at getting Natasha's Staff level up).

Well, I never meant to imply it's not bad in Chapter 18, just saying that it doesn't help as much there, as you said.

Yeah. And by "not as good" what we mean is "doesn't let the chapter be completed in 3 or less turns".

I would join you on the FE8 draft, but my only draft there is unfinished due to laziness, file deletion, a severely speed screwed Gillam, and a strength screwed Joshua (along with little knowledge of the game). I've only done a semi-efficient playthrough of Ephraim's mode since then (it's logged somewhere in the FE8 section), but if you'll have me, i'll join.

Edited by General_Horace

I would join you on the FE8 draft, but my only draft there is unfinished due to laziness, file deletion, a severely speed screwed Gillam, and a strength screwed Joshua (along with little knowledge of the game). I've only done a semi-efficient playthrough of Ephraim's mode since then (it's logged somewhere in the FE8 section), but if you'll have me, i'll join.

Between that and your FE7 efficiency run, I am confident you will provide a strong and objective viewpoint. The only thing to decide I guess is should we make Tethys or Myrrh free? Frankly, they both are pretty mediocre. I would lean towards making Myrrh free but honestly, I don't think it matters.

Hopefully Integ wants to join. I'm just assuming him in. I'll probably post the actual topic later tonight.

Edited by Janissary

Between that and your FE7 efficiency run, I am confident you will provide a strong and objective viewpoint. The only thing to decide I guess is should we make Tethys or Myrrh free? Frankly, they both are pretty mediocre. I would lean towards making Myrrh free but honestly, I don't think it matters.

I agree with Myrrh free, since she's not as useful.

Wait, why does one need to be free? Without Franz there's 28 units, evenly divisible by 4.

Edited by Radiant Kitty

There are 30 units on Integ's list, Myrhh is not one of them, however Tethys is. Personally, I think Myrhh should be draftable, as she saves 1 turn at the most (Fortiimis nuke), while Tethys potentially saves many.

Ninja'd by RD with differing opinions.

Edited by General_Horace

There are 30 units on Integ's list, Myrhh is not one of them, however Tethys is. Personally, I think Myrhh should be draftable, as she saves 1 turn at the most (Fortiimis nuke), while Tethys potentially saves many.

What? I've counted 29 three times.

Regardless, the reason I think Myrrh should be free is because she helps quite a lot yet she doesn't really save you many turns. Tethys shouldn't be free solely because she saves more turns than Myrrh.

What? I've counted 29 three times.

Regardless, the reason I think Myrrh should be free is because she helps quite a lot yet she doesn't really save you many turns. Tethys shouldn't be free solely because she saves more turns than Myrrh.

Herp, I can't count.

Tethys does have 5 chapters on Myrhh, (who is largely useless for half of them), but I actually agree with what you are saying, as free units are generally units that would give a player an unfair advantage if draftable (or are absolutely useless in the case of Wallace/Geitz). I personally don't think either really make a huge difference if draftable, but Myrhh has the uniqueness of flight (I guess) and a monster nuke in endgame. Although without Warp, Tethys might be slightly more valuable. See what the others think, I'm not as good at this game as FE7.

I would make Knoll free before Syrene, because Syrene can have a chance at killing something with Killers, has flying utility (which helps in chapter 18 (well, high movement does) Chapter 20, and endgame. And all Knoll has is Phantoms. And avaliablilty I guess.

Edited by General_Horace

I honestly think Myrrh and Tethys are much better options than Syrene (I will not accept her being free) or Knoll.

That's fine, I was trying to toss out a useless unit to make free.

I think Myrrh is the winner in who should be free. Her use is too erratic to warrant her being draftable. I will post the topic now, so you can look over the ruleset and make sure nothing is messed up.

I've never done an FE8 draft, but if I may throw in my opinion, I'd sooner say Tethys should be free because Dancer units are free in most other games. Consistency and all. I also just tend to find utility units like that better free in general.

Edited by Red Fox of Fire