What makes a good chapter?

I like having to split my forces along multiple paths (OK, this is quite common but I like it), moving bosses, and "mini-bosses" (think Kasetai or that paladin from Dragon's Gate). I also like the fountain in FE9's final chapter a lot. A truly bitching fountain that one is.

EDIT-I hate deserts.

Edited by SeverIan

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to say I love chapters that put a twist on a straightforward goal. I loved Shadow Dragon for its maps, because despite the constant use of "Seize" as an objective, each map forced you to think about how you were going to do get there, or how you would do it and get all the extra goodies along the way. My favorite would be the map with several stretches of land separated by water, crawling with Pirates who could simply move across while you were confined to the land masses (cause we all know Dart was pretty useless). The map that involved charging the ballistae across the three routes was an interesting concept, though admittedly not one I enjoyed greatly.

Radiant Dawn's strong point was the variety in its maps, though this was more brought about by the many different objectives and sub goals. Extinguishing the houses that were lit on fire, burning the supplies in the enemy encampment, defending a line from waves of enemies, securing a goal under a time limit, using Ballistae to clear the way for NPCs who are weak to fire magic, crossing a bridge covered with booby traps, surviving a cavern of lava where fire rains down and damages allies and enemies, rescuing civilians from the muck as brigands and fliers attempt to close in and kill them, chasing a summoner from isle to isle as he calls in constant reinforcements...

Each of these are creative twists on Defend, Route, Kill Boss, and Capture objectives. You can let the houses burn, and let several NPCs bite it. You can let the civvies get axe murdered. The summoner basically justifies the stream of reinforcements, and other then the teleporting is a basic Kill Boss objective. Your goals are the same as ever in the end, but how you get there and what you do along the way that's most interesting. It's not the destination, but the journey.

I love multiple objective chapters. Such as, recruit Joshua, visit all the houses before they are destroyed, and kill the boss.

Getting new characters, especially ones that you have to work for, is always fun. I don't like it when the game gives you like four new units, half of which are useless.

I hate maps that drag on forever. I also hate pointless route missions. Like almost all of chapter four in RD.

I like chapters that have multiply way of reaching the objective.

Good chapters should also have elements in it that make it unique.

Edited by kyr