S-Rank Playthrough Tips

Mekchrious

So I've been playing FE for a long time, beat 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10. I today completed FE7 on HHM, and I want to try an efficiency playthrough. I've been reading a lot of topics and all so I've got a lot of the basics, such as constantly healing with both healers, using Matthew to get both cards, and etc. My biggest problem will be exp I think. I've always been a slow moving player, and when I try to lower my turn count, I have a feeling my exp amount will go to pieces. Does anyone have any ideas for this? And is doing Lyn's mode a good idea as well? It seems to me like it would be, to give a cav, Lyn, and Florina some level ups...I'm not a huge fan of using Erk and to complete this chapters quickly, Serra becomes quite useless. I used to like Lucius as well, but it seems to me, and I could be way off here, but it seems like most of the mages in this game aren't that great. They do good on chapters like CoD, but in the finals, aside from staves, they suck hairy balls. They don't really have enough str to KO some of these enemies. But maybe I always get RNG screwed with em. Canas doesn't have enough CON to use high-level tomes, even with maxed speed, and Pent/Erk always end up in the low 20s for str, when you have units like Sain or Florina with Str in mid twenties and like Oswin and Hector in high 20s-30.

If I remember correctly exp. is actually not that hard to get...

If I'm wrong on that thieves get more exp. in a battle than other classes do.

and if your on a chapter with an Arena then you could have a random unit go there and bam more exp, as long as going to that arena doesn't ruin your turn count.

If I remember correctly exp. is actually not that hard to get...

That depends. It is clearly harder to fulfill the experience rank than it is to just blow through the game like people would do normally. You need to rotate units on occasion so you aren't putting experience into the same ones all the time and you need feed experience later on to units you didn't use.

Anyway, do that, especially with Matthew and Legault, heal as much as possible and spam high level staves, and always have Ninian.

And is doing Lyn's mode a good idea as well?

Most definitely. Giving Florina, Serra, and Matthew some levels is the most important, and you may also want to give some to the cavs and Lyn. Use both stat boosters.

I used to like Lucius as well, but it seems to me, and I could be way off here, but it seems like most of the mages in this game aren't that great. They do good on chapters like CoD, but in the finals, aside from staves, they suck hairy balls.

Aside from staves, yes, because Priscilla, Serra, and Pent, especially the first two, are some of the most valuable units in an S rank run by far. The others aren't bad and may at least help a bit with staff use after promotion, but otherwise are not exactly special. But they don't "suck hairy balls" either.

Canas doesn't have enough CON to use high-level tomes, even with maxed speed, and Pent/Erk always end up in the low 20s for str, when you have units like Sain or Florina with Str in mid twenties and like Oswin and Hector in high 20s-30.

Now consider the fact that enemies regularly have much lower Res than Def and suddenly this comparison doesn't look so accurate.

Actually, I'm not sure if LM is a good idea anymore. You lose out on leveling potential, and the turncount buffer is more than large enough to accommodate for the fact that the units will need more babying.

I think the help to Tactics, along with the stat boosters, is much more valuable. Even in my very first try I overkilled experience by about 14 levels and was only 2 up on Tactics. This was with Lyn, Florina, and Kent coming out at ~8 and Nils leaving at ~3.

Actually, I'm not sure if LM is a good idea anymore. You lose out on leveling potential, and the turncount buffer is more than large enough to accommodate for the fact that the units will need more babying.

I'm sure it's possible to S rank both with and without, but for people doing a ranked run for the first time I think with LM is a greater idea. Some things that come to mind are allowing Kent to double pretty quickly, making Florina usable in combat, having some unit with LM stat boosters (Matthew is my favourite), and I want to say raising Lyn so you can get Geitz (sure, Lloyd's map is faster, but you get 11 more turns to complete the Linus map).

And is doing Lyn's mode a good idea as well?

Not really. It messes with your tactics rank later on in Eliwood's/Hector's stories.

Now consider the fact that enemies regularly have much lower Res than Def and suddenly this comparison doesn't look so accurate.

Not to mention speed as well. =]

What he said.

Besides going through Lyn's Mode first will add the total turn count to your Hector playthrough screwing up your Tactics Rank.

having some unit with LM stat boosters (Matthew is my favourite)

Yes, it is wise to give both stat boosters to him to help with his issues earlygame HHM. Only downfall to this...is that it makes getting tactics more difficult in HHM. I use data transfer to solve this problem, as it also puts your funds rank at bay giving you permission to use some stat up items without suffering any funds rank loss. =]

Edited by Wilhelmina

Besides going through Lyn's Mode first will add the total turn count to your Hector playthrough screwing up your Tactics Rank.

No, it doesn't. Lyn Mode has a seperate ranking screen. Stop spreading misinformation.

No, it doesn't. Lyn Mode has a seperate ranking screen. Stop spreading misinformation.

It was only an assumption, though I have seemed to always have a low tactics rank cuz of it, but in truth, it's just that I'm too slow to completing the chapters. :huh:

It was only an assumption, though I have seemed to always have a low tactics rank cuz of it, but in truth, it's just that I'm too slow to completing the chapters. :huh:

The next time you make an assumption, try doing research first.