Final Fantasy Crisis Core Playlog

General Spoon

This playlog will more or less summarize what I remember about the game as I play it, so don't expect it to be too lengthy. Or good.

I start a new game choosing normal mode because I feel like playing this game quickly. After watching the introduction sequence and killing a few guys (and getting worried that the only thing this game consists of is fight sequences) I learn that I can move on my own between fight sequences. Eventually I get to my first mission thing; ending the war in Wutai. By about the time I'm halfway through the palace I realize that this game is alot like some Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles game I played (Ring of Fates, I think). Only with less to do between fight sequences. The story hasn't struck be as anything special yet, but then again I have set the bar that is my expectations low for it because of its resemblance to Ring of Fates.

After what I believe is the third storyline boss, located someplace in Sector 8, (I'm judging this based on which enemies with lots of health drop materia when they die), or fourth if the Behemoth in the opening sequence counts, I noticed a trend was emerging. My strategy for every boss fight was to just spam Blizzard until it dies. The damage can be tanked and healed off (though it takes time to do this), and if I run out of MP I can just use one of the Ethers I bought. Which cost next to nothing. Presumably this strategy will change when I gain access to Blizzara.

Something I'd like to know is why Zack looks like he's having more fun in the cutscenes than when I'm actually playing. Why can't I have fun like that? Seriously, at times it feels like I bought a movie instead of a game.

EDIT: AND THEN THERE ARE THE FUCKING SLOTS THAT POP UP EVERY 10 SECONDS.

There are also some optional missions that you can take, but I haven't found them needed. Maybe later if the difficultly curve goes at a 90 degree angle or something they'll be helpful.

Edited by General Spoon

I went into a Mako Reactor to track down a scientist whose name has been forgotten except that it started with "H" and was either similar to a species of tree or a part of Europe that is waiting for the ocean to flood it. Apparently all Mako Reactors don't have any staff and do have large complexes beneath them located over churches. After running after the guy for a while (oh btw did I mention that Sephiroth was tagging along with me?) I fight three robots that I believe was a boss fight. I was using the spin attack Materia for most of the fight until I started spamming Blizzard (which has maxxed its level) until they died. I then get dropped into aforementioned church. Apparently Corneo was this guy's student who improved upon his techniques by adding a giant mutant to the bottom of the fall instead of flowers. I also forgot which guy made me fall down here, but I think it was the one with the wing. Actually, I don't think there was a trapdoor involved either.

And now some little brat has stolen my wallet because I'm sure he needs the money to buy medicine for a sick relative because that's what they always need the money for.

EDIT: I find that the game world in FFVII makes more sense if you assume that falling damage is turned off. This actually makes some amount of sense, because according to Bugenhagen (I think that's the floating man's name) demonstration in FFVII, gravity isn't holding the planet together because it will fall apart into pieces if it dies. Where this stops falling damage from occurring isn't certain.

Its like if there's a great height like from an airship, or far above a construction zone (Advent Children), or a giant canyon (Barret's friend that he kills SPOILER ALERT) you can be sure that somebody will fall down it without any worry of damage. Looking back it makes you wonder why you couldn't just escape from the Shinra Building early in FFVII by jumping off it.

Edited by General Spoon

So I went and did some stuff. Like, I did the street section where you run to the Shinra Building and fight some clone boss. And the part where you fight Bahamut Something. Then after the shitty stealth segment (no control over the camera is my main gripe with it) I fight Genesis. Then I go to some bathhouse and get stunlocked by a griffin boss and die. Reloading from the far away save point I pick up Blizzara again and stomp him this time, then go and save again. Then after a stupidly long cutscene I fight Angeal and die when I forgot my buffs wore off and he OHKO'd me with a regular attack.

Another problem I have with this game is how you can't change your equipment during a fight. You're already allowed to pause the game during battle, so why not just let you change your equipment while you're at it? This would be especially helpful when you are given no indication if the boss's main attack is going to be fire or ice based or whathaveyou.