Top Posters In This Topic

• Zak Something

• CrashGordon94

• Robert Stewart

• Ein

Don't care.

Opinion of llamas?

I don't understand.

If you are interested in How things work, then there must be a particular fascinating How. What thing works in the most fascinating way?

AKA what is the is the most interesting thing you know of?

Do you watch Tom Scott's videos?

If you are interested in How things work, then there must be a particular fascinating How. What thing works in the most fascinating way?

Oh, I see.

Uh, I don't know a specific example off the top of my head. And when I said "how things work," I probably should have said how things behave rather than the mechanics of why they do that. If that makes sense. :/

What is idyllic for you?

I meant it as a mental exercise. If you can come to a refutation in your own head, that is good enough, even if you never speak it. But it is important to consider it and acknowledge the argument to yourself. When you talk about subjects that depend on free will, you have to be able to justify the thing your discussion depends on. Disproving that post is necessary to discuss anything that depends on free will.

The conceptual ideal is not necessarily one's true ideal ergo to say what you think is ideal may or may not be one's ideal and thus is a pointless question to even attempt to answer.

That's a classic fool's argument. Absence of proof is NOT proof of absence. Just because somebody doesn't want to take the time to argue philosophy it doesn't default to somebody else's philosophy as correct and you'd only need to disprove it when the individual is consumed with the hubris that they are indeed correct and refuse to listen to others beliefs until they are 'proven' incorrect when they themselves can't prove they are correct to begin with. Considering if a philosophy could in-fact be conclusively proven correct there'd be no debate on philosophy at all which of course there is and always will be. So before you say I or anybody else needs to prove something incorrect, you best be able to prove conclusively that it is correct and when it comes to philosophy and what people think you'll never be. So before you talk about subjects of free will, you have to be able to justify the subject the discussion depends on so by your own 'logic' PROVING it is necessary to discuss anything that depends on free will and just because you post your own views on it, that's not proof, even if you are in-fact that conceded to actually believe it is and if you are there's really no point to talking to you at all

I just got my first person on my ignore list, thoughts?

Our president has been kidnapped by ninjas. Are you a bad enough dude to rescue him?

What's the difference?

"Turning the key in my car's ignition starts it" vs "Turning the key in my car's ignition starts it by..."

Ah, so the bases level of cause and effect. Gotcha.

Why do you think your curiosity ends there? Is there a reason?

The conceptual ideal is not necessarily one's true ideal ergo to say what you think is ideal may or may not be one's ideal and thus is a pointless question to even attempt to answer.

That's a classic fool's argument. Absence of proof is NOT proof of absence. Just because somebody doesn't want to take the time to argue philosophy it doesn't default to somebody else's philosophy as correct and you'd only need to disprove it when the individual is consumed with the hubris that they are indeed correct and refuse to listen to others beliefs until they are 'proven' incorrect when they themselves can't prove they are correct to begin with. Considering if a philosophy could in-fact be conclusively proven correct there'd be no debate on philosophy at all which of course there is and always will be. So before you say I or anybody else needs to prove something incorrect, you best be able to prove conclusively that it is correct and when it comes to philosophy and what people think you'll never be. So before you talk about subjects of free will, you have to be able to justify the subject the discussion depends on so by your own 'logic' PROVING it is necessary to discuss anything that depends on free will and just because you post your own views on it, that's not proof, even if you are in-fact that conceded to actually believe it is and if you are there's really no point to talking to you at all

I just got my first person on my ignore list, thoughts?

Wow.

You're going to see a lot of my posts above yours in this thread.

What defines a civilization?

Ah, so the bases level of cause and effect. Gotcha.

Why do you think your curiosity ends there? Is there a reason?

I'm not introspective enough to know or really care.

What does the landscape of your mind look like?

What defines a civilization?

I'm not introspective enough to know or really care.

The intelligence of its members.

For the public good, what Dwlr did wrong here, at least in my opinion, was to assume that I was not aware of the axiomatic nature of philosophy and truth. I believe, as he does, that all knowledge has some level of subjectivity. Consequently all logical statements are actually if...then statements, with some kind of assumption at the beginning. If X is true, then Y is true. X is not necessarily true. However, saying that it is not necessarily true is not enough to discount my argument. In order for my argument to be wrong, either one of my premises has to be false or my deduction from those premises has to be false. If you disagree with one of the premises and have a reason to disbelieve it, that's fine; that counts as a refutation of the reasoning. e.g. X is false, therefore my reasoning is deductively valid but applies to nothing. But if you agree with all of the basic assumptions, e.g. if you believe that X is true, then refuting it requires more thinking. This is the exercise I had in mind for him. It is unacceptable to say that one of the premises must be wrong without specifying which one simply because you disagree with the ultimate conclusion, because that is a fallacy of division. You must either conclude that specific premises are wrong, find the flaw in the deduction, or accept the argument. There are multiple avenues for discounting my proof, including those that agree with his belief in subjective philosophy, but ignoring it, and me, is not one of them.

Edited by Makaze

I should clarify: what is the difference between a group of people that is a civilization and a group that is not a civilization?

What does the landscape of your mind look like?

The intelligence of its members.

My mind does not have a landscape. It's a collection of neurons in my brain, not a physical place. Edited by shinpichu

What is the ideal social structure?

I should clarify: what is the difference between a group of people that is a civilization and a group that is not a civilization?

My mind does not have a landscape. It's a collection of neurons in my brain, not a physical place.

A civilization is a collection of individuals with complex symbiotic relationships to each other, especially a division of labor, all working together for both their benefit and the benefit of others. Essentially large scale teamwork. The more civilized the people, the better they work together with others. The less civilized, the worse.

Our president has been kidnapped by ninjas. Are you a bad enough dude to rescue him?

Does this assume I want to rescue the president? I wouldn't really care if he was kidnapped to be honest.

Are you aware that with that animation the avatar would likely fall and not teeter indefinitely?

The memes that propagate the most are the most inflammatory ones, the ones that inspire anger, propagating like a virus. In others words people are not rational, so they do not make decisions that are better for themselves or for others.

What do you think?

How different do you think our world would be if the Umayyads had won the Battle of Toulouse and had continued their conquest of Europe?

How many times have you played mafia irl?

I think like once. Edited by shinpichu

If you could speak one sentence into everyone's mind at once, what thought would you give them?

How different do you think our world would be if the Umayyads had won the Battle of Toulouse and had continued their conquest of Europe?

I think like once.

No idea about that.

Edit: How do you feel about the Cyrillic alphabet?

Favorite historical ruler?

I don't know of any specific example of a historically significant ruler. I'm more a fan of protractors, myself. Edited by shinpichu