• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Zak Something

• CrashGordon94

• Robert Stewart

• Ein

favorite fish?

Depends on whether it's cooked or not. Cooked? Salmon. Uncooked? Hamachi/yellowtail (salmon is usually too rich for me uncooked).

I'm a space cadet because...I space out a lot. Hurray for daydreaming!

Haha. A clever answer.

They're pretty good, some of my favorites are Indies, Bastion, Legend of Grimrock. On the other hand I think some Indies are overrated. Minecraft fanbase is terribad ooh ooh speaking of Indies, Massive Chalice hype, anyone?

Sounds great (I don't mind Minecraft myself though I do think sometimes about as overly-prolific as a certain meme *cough* MLPFIM *cough*

Only sometimes. That's mainly because I don't want to go annoying people too much with my randomness, like I did on the Eyes on Final Fantasy Forums back in the day. I'd make crazy topics like "Driving in a Mall," "Your tongue stuck on a moving bus," "What You'd Do If a Bee Was In Your Ear," "Forum Member That Would Survive the Longest Without a Head", among other things.

ROFL.

Hmm...probably Grubba in Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door. What an asshole.

MACHO GRUBBA!!!!

Doing anything during the summer (i.e. internship, job, vacationing)?

What shoes do you wear

Color psychology says that people who like violet are compassionate and idealistic. Do you think this is accurate for you, Boney? (I really like color psychology, huh. ^.^;)

I've never felt idealistic, but I'm actually compassionate(for better or for worse -_-)

What shoes do you wear

Some sort of Nikes running shoes. Used to be something else but well, I wore them out and had to use some older shoes.

Y u claim to be underinteresting (ಠ益ಠ) (totally didn't steal this from your status update)

Edited by Interest

y u claim to be "quite...interesting"?

It's a phrase I've been using for awhile to pair with my name. People kept making puns so I made the phrase in response to show how "interested" they were in my name.

The one song you like the most?

What is the most timeless song to you? That song that you listen to that's so balanced that it never gets stale for you, not the kind of song that you fall in love with as soon as you find it.

How'd you come up with your name?

I used to be Bonestorm(since '07), but that name is stupid. Boney caught on.

To be less vague, I myself came up with a band of fictional characters and called them "Bonestorm". Bonestorm is a game from the Simpsons, a show that I was never a fan of. I liked the Simpsons version of Grand Theft Auto games, lol.

I have an N64, a Gamecube, a Game Boy, and Game Boy Advance. I also have Project 64, ePSXe, Visual Boy Advance, Fusion 32, Satourne, No$GBA, Demul, 1964, ZSNES, Desume, Dolphin, PSXeven, ideas, MAME, NullDC, and VirtuaNES. *trollface*

What is your Zodiac sign?

She's pretty, I fanboyed over her return later on in FFIV, I was shocked when she fell in the ocean earlier in the game, her sprites are really cute, ahhhhhhh. I don't know if I love her or Sanae Kochiya more. >_>

What would you do if I sent you some Reimu art?

(Aha, I see.)

I like snow. Especially when the sky's gray and the snow falls down gently without the wind blowing it around. Ah...how melancholic. I miss winter...

Favorite song?

Edited by Zeem

what were your thoughts?

This pretty much explains my thoughts exactly Warning: Contains Totalbiscuit, the Cynical Brit (last place I was at people were severely biased against him for well...various reasons). In addition, here's what I said about it a few weeks ago on the other place I frequent.

Is that Totalbiscuit talking about the event?

I watched that when it came out.

Edit: To expound, he makes some valid points. However, I'm agreeing with most of the people in favor of Nintendo. There are several valid points being made in favor of the LP'ers, but I still fall on the side of Nintendo in this debate.

Edit2: Though I do feel some sympathy for them, as there are several LP'ers that I like. However, this is more on the cult of personality mentioned than for actual LP'ing.

I just feel there's far too much doubt surrounding this action to support it. Considering I've been playing Nintendo games since a little child I can safely say I'm a fan. While I won't stop buying their stuff because of this fiasco, I still think it's wrong because (mostly expanding on the previous statement)...

It can technically fall under "Fair Use." Note how I say "can." Since a Let's Play essentially involves a person playing through a game and often giving their thoughts on said game, it can fall under review, comment, or criticism. To be fair, in one extreme, it's essentially a review (think IGN or anything on Metacritic) and shouldn't be taken down, but in another extreme, it's blatant profiteering and should. Because so much of the content leans towards the former, however, I almost find the claiming itself questionable.

Even disregarding this fact, as I mentioned before, a Let's Play of a game, especially from a reasonably well-known Let's Player, draws attention to the game. It's similar to something like say, Totalbiscuit's "WTF is...?" series except it goes a lot further than a first impression. This can thus be labeled as "advertising" and it doesn't technically cost the party (or parties) involved any tangible amount of money. While it's a question of whether watching a walkthrough of a game immediately invalidates any chance of purchasing said game because the walkthrough essentially is the game (i.e. a game with a strong focus on story only needs one playthrough to enjoy the content), thus causing a party involved to LOSE money, I strongly believe that in a majority of cases the opposite effect occurs and the attention will usually end up benefiting the party (unless the game's the equivalent of a 40 on Metacritic or something, I guess, but even then...).

A noteworthy comparable example of this is "The Room," which, despite being a terrible movie, was so bad it was hilarious (much to the reflection of critics or through word of mouth, since the movie wasn't exactly widely available) and is thus a cult classic (though the cult is pretty damn big, so I'm not even sure the term "cult classic" applies). (Funnily, there were some takedowns of certain negative reviews related to the movie, which caused an outrage that eventually brought said reviews back up - besides, that's blatant abuse of copyright infringement takedown powers since a review most certainly is covered by Fair Use.)

Finally, disregarding negative results for the Let's Players (i.e. they're now #$%^ out of luck, need to find a new way to make a living, and Nintendo reaps some money off their Let's Play videos), disregarding everything I said before, and considering the fact Let's Players continue as usual as if nothing happened in terms of uploading more content (something Chuggaconroy, for instance, is doing since he's just that awesome), the backlash was pretty staggering and the views showing Nintendo's action in a negative light pervasive. All I had to do was Google News "Nintendo Copyright Youtube" and immediately I see article after article saying "Nintendo Dun Goof'd", etc. Even if this was all stupidly blown out of proportion (which, sadly, it's not by that much given how much I'm talking about it), the potential losses from fans suddenly turning in their Mario Caps, Hylian Shields, etc in favor of another castle could be more than the gain from even pulling the claims to begin with.

In short, what I'm trying to say is, the most likely case is no one wins. There are only losers. E3 can cause all the hype needed (hey I'll still be buying Ace Attorney 5). A miracle can occur and suddenly millions of Wii Us swoop off the NA shelves (before the next Smash Bros. game comes out, lol), but this action won't be forgotten. It's going to leave a pretty nasty stain for awhile unless Nintendo thinks on their actions and takes it back. Even if left unchecked it won't be remotely as bad as the fiasco surrounding the XBOX One (bad PR included, of course), but it's still pretty bad.

...Maybe I should just write an essay on this *sigh*.

The vast majority of Let's Players that I have encountered are those who played video games so much that they can't think of anything else to do with their lives and decide to try and play video games for a living.

Going to make a small aside and address this small statement. I know of people that try to do this and often, it fails hard because of poor quality or whatnot. Personally, I'm doing this kind of stuff for fun (it's mostly in the form of streaming) while doing some actual work on the side. However, I feel that bunching that rather broad group together is unfair - there are some diamonds in the rough, as some Youtubers or gamers in general that I am interested in don't exactly have a large following (I'm talking < 10000 subs and so on easily) but do some very interesting things with their video gaming gameplay.

Of course, maybe I just try to see the best of things. Do know that I am aware of the worst of Let's Players too though.

TL;DR: I was extremely upset by it for numerous reasons.

Care to also give your opinion on the Nintendo LP thing, ZM? =)

(Edit: Finally found out how to only show the BBCode yay)

Edited by Interest