Jazz Appreciation Society

Geriba

I'm not sure how many Serenes Forest members are jazz connoisseurs, but the genre needs some love- it's supremely under-appreciated! Feel free to post links to favorite jams or tunes, as well as discuss everything from the classics and legends to the up-and-coming stars. Here are a couple to start things off:

John Coltrane: Wise One

This song is off of his Impulse-era Crescent album. The quartet does a fantastic job as usual, delivering some impressive solos while preserving the song's delicate emotional tone.

Flying Lotus: Massage Situation

A newer tune, this song captures Lotus's characteristic fusion of jazz and electronica. Some trivia: one man composes and layers the synthetic sounds of Flying Lotus, and he's got an impressive jazz pedigree, being directly related to Miles Davis.

Edited by Jaffar7

The first song is very calming and classy. Defeneatly liked it.

The second seemed like some kind of instrumental Hip-Hop, in my opinion.

I like Jazz. Although I don't know any band or players from that genre.

Miles Davis, Chick Corea and John Coltrane are good strating points for most people. Frankly, I don't really care about those aforementioned people. I'm more into the stuff Dave Brubeck made, Xploding Plastix and Hiromi's Sonicbloom. Gonna triple post for examples of these people.

First off a song by Xploding Plastix. Xploding Plastix has a bit of a noir style.

Secondly, an oldie but goodie from Dave Brubeck's quartet

And finally Hiromi Uehara. Japanese and jazz is a combination you don't often see, but this Japanese woman plays the jazz piano like it's nobody's business.

Edited by Excellen Browning

• 3 weeks later...

Maynard Ferguson - La Fiesta. Video is in two parts. Features bass, trombone, and keyboard. Amazing stuff. The entire Live at the Top show is really good.

And I've recently discovered Trombone Shorty, who mixes jazz with hip-hop. It's pretty cool. He played at the Grammys recently.

Is

the same lady? Edited by The Awesomest

• 3 months later...

I won't let this thread die.

Here's some crazy post-jazz or whatever band from Norway, Jaga Jazzist.

If you're into this sort of thing. If you aren't, well, they did this song which is less crazy post-jazz and more just plain crazy.

One-Armed Bandit

And if you still don't like them, you cannot deny their insane skills.

Kitty Wü

I mean, their bass clarinet player uses saxophone reeds! And it sounds amazing!

• 1 year later...

That's a heck of a bump, but if you'll all go on a Mingus bender with me I'll roll with it

I've never listened to Mingus recordings. However, I did see "Mingus Dynasty" at a club in NYC a few years ago, I believe the name says it all. The music was wonderful to the point of inducing that easiest kind of flow that is more alive than sleeping yet better than any dream or delusion - no attempt at exaggeration made here.

Here's a piece I like.

[media]

Edited by Mouse

The Essential Mingus Big Band is an album I'd recommend perhaps even to people not already into jazz. All the (often live, but very high-quality) recordings were played after the man himself passed, IIRC, but it actually doesn't come across as bullshit when one member writes they hope to live up to the way Mingus heard his songs in his head. The above Moanin' is from the album, as are my favorite recordings heard to date of some other Mingus favorites, Boogie Stop Shuffle and Goodbye Porkpie Hat:

embed already darnit

Edited by Rehab

• 2 weeks later...