1. 1. New game or remake?

• New game
    • Remake
    • Not bothered
  2. 2. 2D or (polygon) 3D?

• 2D
    • 3D
    • No preference

Because none of us were noobs when we started the series, right?

Yes, but we have SF.

By "noob", I don't just mean "person who doesn't know how to play very well". I mean "person who, other than playing bad, will start getting into noobish 'debates' on the Internets".

Apples and oranges. You talk like having better graphics and/or a bigger fanbase will automatically make the games worse.

I didn't mean it that way. I just hope IS won't base themselves on that this time.

You're implying that Fire Emblem getting more popular or getting better graphics will necessarily mean that it will get worse.

I don't have to explain to anyone how that doesn't make sense.

I didn't think of it that way. I just think games with heavy commercializing tend to be overrated mainstream. It wouldn't fiE.

Although I do admit that is pretty silly of me.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, but we have SF.

By "noob", I don't just mean "person who doesn't know how to play very well". I mean "person who, other than playing bad, will start getting into noobish 'debates' on the Internets".

Because none of us were like that when we started.

Right?

I'll never look at people that shop at Wal-Mart and Gamestop the same way ever again.

I'm loving the irony of this statement... :lol:

I'm not opposed to further remakes, but I think Intelligent Systems should try something new after releasing two remakes in a row. I have a slight preference for 2D, but it doesn't make much of a difference when it comes down to it.

So you're saying Fire Emblem shouldn't increase it's fanbase because it might attract people who don't play the way we do...? Must you be so elitist?

Perhaps if there was a bigger fan-base the series would get more games... At this point I wouldn't be surprised if we never got a new FE, I could totally see IS discontinuing the series.

Edited by Optimus OVERTROLL

Perhaps if there was a bigger fan-base the series would get more games... At this point I wouldn't be surprised if we never got a new FE, I could totally see IS discontinuing the series.

That'd be quite a shame. Advance Wars seems to be dead too.

The sales haven't been in serious decline or anything. Shadow Dragon, for instance, sold about 250,000 in Japan, to Blazing Sword and Sacred Stones' ~300,000 each.

Yeah, that's only a 16% sales drop. That's nothing to worry about, right? Especially when the series sales aren't particularly strong normally. Hell, New Mystery sold ~100,000 less than New Super Mario Bros since New Mystery was released, and NSMB came out 2006.

The series just seems to have run its course to me. I wouldn't be surprised if we never see New Mystery in English, and if we never see another FE game. The series pretty much exists for Super Smash Bros. now.

I think since the FE1 DS remake wasn't that good people probably didn't expect the FE3 DS remake to be good either especially because book1 would basically be the FE1 remake, and no I don't think New Mystery is ever going to release in Englishsad.gif

Yeah, that's only a 16% sales drop. That's nothing to worry about, right? Especially when the series sales aren't particularly strong normally. Hell, New Mystery sold ~100,000 less than New Super Mario Bros since New Mystery was released, and NSMB came out 2006.

The series just seems to have run its course to me. I wouldn't be surprised if we never see New Mystery in English, and if we never see another FE game. The series pretty much exists for Super Smash Bros. now.

That's a very western-centric view--a more worldly view would include Fire Emblem as being one of the longest running series Nintendo has ever had, continuing even to this day, with sales continuously running.

Especially since western gamers seem to be the only one jizzing over smash brothers.

That's a very western-centric view--a more worldly view would include Fire Emblem as being one of the longest running series Nintendo has ever had' date=' continuing even to this day, with sales continuously running.

Especially since western gamers seem to be the only one jizzing over smash brothers. [/quote']

What good is a long running series that can't outsell another entry from a long running series released in 2006? The series isn't making good money, and hasn't for a while. At some point the managers have to sit down and say "the series isn't producing for us like it used to...maybe it's time to retire it?" I mean, they can't even get nostalgia to carry the series' latest entry sales over a game released about five years ago? Isn't FE3 well-liked in Japan? That's when you know things are bad...when a remake of one of the series' most popular games can't do well in sales.

There's a lot to take into comparison in nearly twenty-years difference worth of gaming--comparing norms at the initial release of FE3 and its context against those of the remake, are necessary. And extreme example is that you're not adjusting for cultural and personal inflation--otherwise you could wrongly assume wrong ends from pictures like these:

Old_Sonic_Menu.jpg

2761568237_5a86408544.jpg

Contrasting a decline of money-sales over time?--that's an inherently rough way of guesstimating worth. Something more tangible would be arguing your point for the Nintendo Wars series--whose last few games haven't even been necessarily released too grandly, and even had their last title reworked completely to entertain the western markets over their own. Nintendo Wars is a series that is likely to take the plunge, far faster than Fire Emblem. But Fire Emblem, it isn't "producing less than it used to." The sales numbers of the series in Japan has remained pretty constant--with Shin Monshou being relatively high, technically, considering it's not even a year old, when compared against the GBA titles which are and more.

For the time being, the series is a dependable, one, always receiving well reviews, and overall, taking less effort to develop than larger titles (for the last half of the series, numerous engines were actually reused, cutting development costs hugely).

Edited by Celice

I would be very surprised if a FE wasn't released for the 3DS eventually, so I wanted to know what others would like for such a game.

I would actually be surprised if any more FE games came out in English, personally. I mean, it doesn't look like they'll ever release FE12 in English, considering how long it has been. I guess, really, they could just be taking an extremely long time, but even so... oh well, guess I'll have to learn Japanese if I want to follow everything

Anyway, I said "new game" and "2D."

Although, on second thought, I think I wouldn't mind either way. It all depends on how they carry it out. I mean, I'm always up for a new game, because a new story is always nice, but on the other hand, if they manage to carry out a remake well enough, I suppose I wouldn't mind that either. When they remade FE1 and FE3, I was excited. I don't know about FE12 since I can't really follow the story, but FE11 did a good job of staying to FE1's mechanics and story while still making improvements.

The problem is, with games like FE4, which I think were pulled off spectacularly, it's hard to make changes without taking away or ruining some of the features that made the game so amazing. So really, it depends on how good IS would be at recreating a game. If they can pull of an FE equivalent of HG/SS, I'm all for it, but if not, it's best just to move on to a new story.

As for the graphics, it depends. I really didn't enjoy the graphics of FE11 / 12. They tried to make it look realistic, but somehow in doing that they made it look fake. Not to mention the graphics weren't at all flashy like the FE GBA games, so they had absolutely no appeal to them. I did, however, like the graphics of FE9/10, so if they can pull something like that off in the 3DS version, then all for it.

I guess my opinion on what IS should do really depends on how well they can pull things off. I mean, if they want to do something like FE GBA again, I'm all for that, but I just don't see that happening.

Whatever the outcome, let's just hope they /make/ another FE game.

... I feel like that was a tl;dr.

I can understand people worried about FE12 getting an English release or not, as a rather long time has passed since its original release. I wouldn't lose hope just yet though, as E3 is still around the corner and Nintendo are probably starting to recover from the recent 3DS release (related to this, Xenoblade was just announced yesterday and IIRC it was released in Japan a month befor FE12).

However I'm not quite certain what to think of people thinking that IS is going to give up their flagship series. I do think people have perhaps put too much of a negative spin on things. After all, the last FE game was released less than a year ago and there's been a new game every 1~2 years since FE5.

I seriously don't believe negative fan response towards FE11 is going to affect much and sales-wise, I suppose sales have declined, but I'm pretty certain anything about 200K is great, considering FE11 and FE12's likely budgets. Now FE9 and FE10 on the other hand, I can imagine those were huge disappointments for IS, especially since they mentioned how development costs for consoles are quite high and they've been building up to making console FEs since FE6.

Edited by VincentASM

Do people really think they're going to stop making games because it's not as popular as Mario?

That's like saying Pratchett is going to stop writing books because they don't sell as well as the Bible.

Edited by Paperblade

I don't discount the idea that it could still be translated to English, but as the time passes, the less likely it becomes. Oh well, I'm just gonna hope the negativity is unfounded and that the fans cries are loud enough.

In any case, I wasn't insinuating that FE as a series was going to end. I was just going to assume that sales were too low in the west so that they'll lock their sales back to Japan. But it'd be very strange, considering they have thus far had enough success to publish four games in the U.S.

In any case, I think I'm starting to get off topic, so, ignore me. 8D

Edited by Lux Aeterna