FE4 Restart Chapter

Peachy

I've made a few mistakes (like not realizing that I killed Aira, Aideen and Lachesis. I need to stop hitting Speed Up >.<) in Ch.3 of Holy War. Is there any way that I can restart the chapter and play it through the map from the beginning?

No. The simplest thing to do right now is restart your file entirely. Next time, try to keep a save file from the beginning of the chapter in a separate slot.

If it's your first time playing FE4 maybe you should consider looking at a walk through. That way you'll be more prepared if something comes your way. For example I used the Sigurd's pants website I recommend googling along with any extra info. you may find on the forum.

Yeah... but that completely ruins the surprise of the game. Half of the fun which happens in Fire Emblem 4 is because it's unexpected--unlike the predictability found throughout the rest of the series, especially the last five games, FE4 is full of moments where you're suddenly panicking because you're not sure how to respond to the new unfolding events.

When you take tips and read walkthroughs, you're spoiling all the effects. Most players bottle-neck themselves just north of the green castle in Chapter 2, because they expect what's going to happen. Players play in advance. It becomes more slow and stunted, because the player is no longer playing the game, but preparing for the events to come.

When a good chunk of the game's gameplay revolves around sudden game-turning events which seemingly are out of the player's control, spoiling these events breaks that. There's no opportunity for the excitement of survival, or realizing the potential and usefulness of warp staves (other than bashing out experience), and rushing people over just in the nick of time--actually defending castles. FE4 is two entirely different kinds of games when you have no clue what's going to happen next, and when you know everything that you have to prepare for, the amount of turns you have, and what the AI is going to pull on you.

Don't ruin your first experience. A real first experience will scare off newer players or players who hate having to deal with things not in their control, but most other people will find the challenge and surprise fun, and see them as incentive to replay the game to try things differently the next time.

Most players bottle-neck themselves just north of the green castle in Chapter 2, because they expect what's going to happen.

Who does that? I know I never did, and I don't see any reason to.

Yeah... but that completely ruins the surprise of the game. Half of the fun which happens in Fire Emblem 4 is because it's unexpected--unlike the predictability found throughout the rest of the series, especially the last five games, FE4 is full of moments where you're suddenly panicking because you're not sure how to respond to the new unfolding events.

When you take tips and read walkthroughs, you're spoiling all the effects. Most players bottle-neck themselves just north of the green castle in Chapter 2, because they expect what's going to happen. Players play in advance. It becomes more slow and stunted, because the player is no longer playing the game, but preparing for the events to come.

When a good chunk of the game's gameplay revolves around sudden game-turning events which seemingly are out of the player's control, spoiling these events breaks that. There's no opportunity for the excitement of survival, or realizing the potential and usefulness of warp staves (other than bashing out experience), and rushing people over just in the nick of time--actually defending castles. FE4 is two entirely different kinds of games when you have no clue what's going to happen next, and when you know everything that you have to prepare for, the amount of turns you have, and what the AI is going to pull on you.

Don't ruin your first experience. A real first experience will scare off newer players or players who hate having to deal with things not in their control, but most other people will find the challenge and surprise fun, and see them as incentive to replay the game to try things differently the next time.

I have to say , I completely agree. Now that I think about it, that's probably why I love the Fe4 hacks so much after finishing the original.

Who does that? I know I never did, and I don't see any reason to.

Considering the vanilla game, absolutely no one can proceed through the area right of the villages until the north-western castle is taken. After that, the neutral enemies will turn enemy, and then you can proceed. Until that point, you are in a bottle-neck--playable units are chocked at that single point.

Players who don't have a foreknowledge are likely to have most of their troops along the western-front, heading towards that north-western castle. Once taken, they rush back down--the troops which Shagall send out will proceed to rush downwards. In a blind game, unsuspecting players are likely to class forces away from the original bottle-neck. Players who set themselves in ahead of time, knowing of the bottle-neck, often send units down there to be prepared for the coming sorties.

This is the issue, here, and throughout the game, of knowing ahead of time what will happen--the player becomes omnipotent of the coming dangers. The bottle-neck isn't as obvious nor obtrusive until the players involve their strategy around it. The game gains a sense of artificiality once the player has this knowledge. And while certainly some players can have fun knowing ahead of time, everything which is to happen, a sizable group also would prefer to not be told about every event ahead of time.

I have to say , I completely agree. Now that I think about it, that's probably why I love the Fe4 hacks so much after finishing the original.

Oh god, my brother and I are playing Genealogy of Neir together, Thracia is now Ulir-blood. There are waves of archers flowing out of the capital and funneling right to your castle XDDDD Oh god it's awesome. You should try out Genealogy of Narga if you want the most difference that's publicly available.

Considering the vanilla game, absolutely no one can proceed through the area right of the villages until the north-western castle is taken. After that, the neutral enemies will turn enemy, and then you can proceed. Until that point, you are in a bottle-neck--playable units are chocked at that single point.

Players who don't have a foreknowledge are likely to have most of their troops along the western-front, heading towards that north-western castle. Once taken, they rush back down--the troops which Shagall send out will proceed to rush downwards. In a blind game, unsuspecting players are likely to class forces away from the original bottle-neck. Players who set themselves in ahead of time, knowing of the bottle-neck, often send units down there to be prepared for the coming sorties.

This is the issue, here, and throughout the game, of knowing ahead of time what will happen--the player becomes omnipotent of the coming dangers. The bottle-neck isn't as obvious nor obtrusive until the players involve their strategy around it. The game gains a sense of artificiality once the player has this knowledge. And while certainly some players can have fun knowing ahead of time, everything which is to happen, a sizable group also would prefer to not be told about every event ahead of time.

Oh god, my brother and I are playing Genealogy of Neir together, Thracia is now Ulir-blood. There are waves of archers flowing out of the capital and funneling right to your castle XDDDD Oh god it's awesome. You should try out Genealogy of Narga if you want the most difference that's publicly available.

Briggid is the Bitch from Hell in that patchRight now I'm still on TS and trying out Gensui no Keifu. If I can figure out which freaking character to pair.

We made Dierdre and Leptor together :< Yurius with Knight Ring is naturally terrifying. But Elto went with Asvel, and now has Ambush, Prayer, Critical, some others, and Graphcalibur. She came in and was like, nope, Dean you go on,

imma kill everything.

Right now I'm still on TS and trying out Gensui no Keifu.

TS ahhhhh I'm at the end of that, and I'm not sure if it's even worth beating. I feel like suddenly all the enemies are just plain broken. Soooo maaaaany sword skills on all the baddies make avoid pretty much useless. Though Shannan was able to dodge Sleep Staves o_O

Gensui, is that that Suikoden one? It looks really cool, but I haven't tried it yet.