Need some advice for a low-turn playthrough of FE4.

Horakthi

I want to see how well I can do without RNG abuse / save states. So far I'm thinking of these pairings:

Aideen x Claude for the Rescue Staff in late first gen and early second gen to give Sigurd / Celice a small boost.

Ayra x Lex for two good, bulky children in Chapter 6. They won't be as useful after that, I think.

Bridget x Holyn if it's possible but I won't bother if it's not. 44 turns is a lot of time but I don't think it'll take much effort to keep them together. I was thinking of Lex but I'm not sure how useful Patty can be. Faval will always one round things anyway.

Lachesis x Beowulf for another good but easy pairing. Fin takes too long and restricts him too much.

I'm not too sure about Levin x TIltyu. Tiltyu comes when Levin is soon to promote and I don't know if I can afford to keep them together and restrict Levin. I also don't know if I'll be able to do Claude x Fury because it takes a good 50 turns. I also think I won't pair Sylvia since I can't think of anyone. Maybe Arden for Ambush + Sleep Sword?

Also, should I keep the Leg Ring on Celice throughout the second generation or give it to Leen once Celice promotes?

Thanks for helping.

Edited by Horakthi

Rescue Staff + Dancer can be fun. What rank is the rescue staff? You might be able to get Falcon Knight rescuing going on, but I'm not sure if any terrain in the vanilla game is worth it.

Falcoknight rescuing is beautiful indeed... but not possible in vanilla FE4, since the Rescue Staff is sadly A rank. And that means...

Aideen x Azel for the Rescue Staff in late first gen and early second gen to give Sigurd / Celice a small boost. I don't know if it's worth it though.

... Rana wouldn't inherit it, since her staff rank would be B. So, if you want early rescuing, you'll want Adean x Claude.

Oh crap. It's A? Fire Emblem wikia said B.. Sorry, it is A.

Claude x Adean is quick and nice at least. I'll go with that then. Now I need to decide Sylvia, Fury and Tiltyu.

I think I won't pair Sylvia because Levin, Claude and Lex are going to be taken anyway. Charisma might be helpful but Sleep staves could screw Laylea up. Thoughts? Then again I won't be able to pass on the Knight Ring..

If you guys suggest that Leen get the Leg Ring, then I'll probably pair her with Dew for Bargain. I'd like some insight on that too.

Edited by Horakthi

I think I won't pair Sylvia because Levin, Claude and Lex are going to be taken anyway. Charisma might be helpful but Sleep staves could screw Laylea up. Thoughts? Then again I won't be able to pass on the Knight Ring..

The sleep staff issue could be countered with Barrier Ring + Barrier Sword, perhaps. But of course, getting her Leg and Knight rings while lowturning wouldn't be practical.

The sleep staff issue could be countered with Barrier Ring + Barrier Sword, perhaps.

Do they stack?

But of course, getting her Leg and Knight rings while lowturning wouldn't be practical.

Oh, you mean Laylea, nevermind.

Also, just beat the Prologue in 11 turns. I was going for 10 but the boss is annoyingly accurate on my half dead units.. so I didn't bother. 10 is probably possible if you RNG abuse to dodge everything.

Edited by Horakthi

Just beat chapter 1 in 25 turns. Definitely could've done better but I didn't really plan much. Wasted two or three turns on Jamka and Lex's Hero Axe. Stupid trees. Is it worth restarting? I'll restart if other people have done better.

Edit: Just replayed and got 23 turns. I don't think I could do better really.

Aaaand I beat chapter 2 in 29 turns. It's my least favorite chapter in the game so I don't think I'll be restarting and below 30 is good enough for me.

Edited by Horakthi

If you guys suggest that Leen get the Leg Ring, then I'll probably pair her with Dew for Bargain. I'd like some insight on that too.

I belive the Nico videos demonstrate that for pure speed, Celice with Leg Ring is really the only way to go.

Dancer Leg ring is good for helping your other units to get experience, yes, but Celice always needs to blitz to seize.

Well.. this is lame. I managed to beat chapter 3 in only 18 turns (I think that's really good, I warped Sigurd from Silvail to Madino to save a few turns) but I screwed up badly because I couldn't get the Ichival. It'd take like 10 extra turns. I decided not to get it anyway because it's not really worth 10 turns and Faval isn't that good - but he'd be good for Julius without bothering to get Narga... I'm still disappointed though. That's the second time Aideen's move screwed me over. I'd restart but.. is it really worth it? Ehhh I dunno what to do.

Edit: I'll restart and think of a strategy to get Ichival with Ethlin and Aideen I guess. rush with Ethlin to Bridget and Return her to the castle where Aideen is. I'll also Return Sigurd to the home castle and warp him to Madino with Aideen once Silvail is captured. It'll save a turn or two.

Edited by Horakthi

If you're worried that LevinxTailto will take too long and have no one to pair Fury with, I don't see why you don't just pair Levin with Fury and Azel with Tailto. Both of those pairings are quite fast and give nice kids.

And yeah, I think Sylvia should be unpaired.

Ichival isn't worth it. Faval doesn't have enough movement to contribute anywhere but closeby places, and he can do that fine with Silver Bow. You should kill Julius with either Ring'd Celice, Narga, or Berserked Hel.

Since Mekkah is doing Levin x Tiltyu I'll do Levin x Fury. I don't even know how I can do Levin x Tiltyu anyway at the speed I'm going. It's hard to do easy pairings like Lex x Ayra.

Aideen x Claude

Bridget x Holyn

Lachesis x Beowulf

Aira x Lex

Fury x Levin

Tiltyu x Azel

Sylvia x Dew

Berserked Hel is a really good idea. I guess I don't need Ichival but I'll try my best to get it anyway. I think I can drop down to 15 turns so I'm going to restart.

Edited by Horakthi

Too bad it's so hard to register.

Do you know what the shortest number of turns possible are for each chapter?

You should be able to find a thousand registration tutorials through a simple Google search, though.

Edited by TheEnd

I registered, but I can't skip to the end of any vid. I saw one of his chapter 4 vids and his Dew had a Wind Sword which was weird. I also google translated his descriptions and it said something about getting an A+ ranking but didn't say how many turns it took for each chapter..

I didn't know Dew could unlock the bridge in chapter 4. Cool.

I think you can seek in the videos, it's just they have to have fully buffered first. While I didn't remember him acquiring the Wind Sword, I guess he might have. I do know that it looked like he was initially trying for HolynxBriggid to pass down Ichival, but then he aborted that in Ch5 and decided to get Asaello/Daisy. So his Ch3 may be possible to improve on. Likewise, in his Ch7 he has Celice Seize an enemy-captured Lenster so Layla can get warped to pick up the Barrier sword, which I think is probably not worth it in the turns he loses to do so, but I may be wrong on that count.

I believe that I collected the seize times for the various castles when I rewatched it some months ago, I have them lined up below.

[spoiler=Nico seizes]Prologue

Jungby: 6

Evans: 11

Chapter 1

Genoa: 4

Marpha: 9

Verdane: 22

Chapter 2

Nodion: 4

Heirhein: 8

Anphony: 12

Mackily: 18

Agusty: 23

Chapter 3

Madino: 3

Silvail: 9

Orgahill: 15

Chapter 4

Thone: 10

Silesia: 18

Zaxon: 22

Chapter 5

Lubeck: 4

Phinora: 7

Velthomer: 16

Chapter 6

Ganeshire: 8

Sophara: 11 (recuit Johalva)

Isaac: 15

Rivough: 19

Chapter 7

Yied: 8

Melphen: 14

Darna: 18

Lenster: 23?

Alster: 25

Chapter 8

Conote: 5

Manster: 7

Mease: 10

Chapter 9

Luthecia: 4

Kapathogia: 5

Grutia: 10

Thracia: 15

Chapter 10

Chronos: 2

Rado: 5

Miletos: 7

Chalphy: 11

Epilogue

Edda: 2

Dozel: 3

Freege: 6

Velthomer: 10

Barhara: 12

Total: 201

We know he didn't do Levin x Tiltyu, because he did the damn thing so quickly that there was no time to pair them. I guess this destroys the efficiency argument then. Unless he did jealousy?

I think I'll restart. I want to see if I can beat his turns. I'm pretty sure I can do a 10-turn prologue with a full health Cuan, and I think it's possible to do a 14-turn chapter 3 with my strategy. I want to go below 200.

Also, thanks a lot for the seizes. I really appreciate it.

Edited by Horakthi