Life's FE9 Run

Life

It's not about the Steel forge. It's about the utility option of those lances. The Short Spear shouldn't be broken if you conserve your good weapons for a while. The Killer Lance is begging to be stuck on her thanks to Wrath.

And it doesn't matter that 18/0 Nephenee gives Devdan a run for his money. It matters how she gets there. She's already BExping 5 levels to start with. If she has to BExp another 3 or more, she's not worth the effort. Period. It's basic economics. That BExp can go to much better places than to Nephenee just to make her "give Devdan a run for his money".

The Short Spear has 15 uses, uses much better used right when you get it on either Titania or Oscar. It should not be assumed that it will have enough uses left to be worth giving Neph an Arms Scroll. Killer Lance is cool, but still crit-reliant, and if she's still at that weak stage, you shouldn't be having her running around at less than half health.

For the record, she only BEXP'd 4 to start with. I think you're underestimating how much BEXP there is. What Nephenee needs is not at all a significant amount as long as you aren't dumb and spread your experience too thin on a team of like 12 units. Why is Devdan in this discussion at all? They are not mutually exclusive.

Edited by Red Fox of Fire

For the record, she only BEXP'd 4 to start with. I think you're underestimating how much BEXP there is. What Nephenee needs is not at all a significant amount as long as you aren't dumb and spread your experience too thin on a team of like 12 units. Why is Devdan in this discussion at all? They are not mutually exclusive.

No, you're overestimating BExp here. I'm a prime advocate of "feed Neph 1/4 of your total BExp for the start of Chapter 11" and I felt a major strain on my BExp total after doing that. 500+ BExp that early in the game is a lot. I haven't even put any into Rolf or Mist (not planning on using Rolf) and it's a lot.

I bring up Devdan because I feel Devdan is to Nephenee like Stefan is to Mia/Zihark. A prepromoted version with workable stats and actually good weapon ranks (something that Neph can only dream of). If Neph needs 9+ levels of BExp (which is a lot before we hit Chapter 17), a forge, an Arms Scroll and is barely better than Devdan, why pour all that into her when Devdan is more than usable? If Nephenee is worse than Devdan with all of those resources, she's immediately become obsolete since Devdan has higher growths and still has growth time (16 levels of it vs. 20+ promo for Neph) but didn't require all of those resources.

No, you're overestimating BExp here. I'm a prime advocate of "feed Neph 1/4 of your total BExp for the start of Chapter 11" and I felt a major strain on my BExp total after doing that. 500+ BExp that early in the game is a lot. I haven't even put any into Rolf or Mist (not planning on using Rolf) and it's a lot.

I bring up Devdan because I feel Devdan is to Nephenee like Stefan is to Mia/Zihark. A prepromoted version with workable stats and actually good weapon ranks (something that Neph can only dream of). If Neph needs 9+ levels of BExp (which is a lot before we hit Chapter 17), a forge, an Arms Scroll and is barely better than Devdan, why pour all that into her when Devdan is more than usable? If Nephenee is worse than Devdan with all of those resources, she's immediately become obsolete since Devdan has higher growths and still has growth time (16 levels of it vs. 20+ promo for Neph) but didn't require all of those resources.

No, you're underestimating it. Or not getting enough of it. Just take a look at the draft runs. The teams may be a bit smaller than usual, but nevertheless it is easy to get a decent-sized team to good levels and still have breathing room. Rolf and Mist both happen to be BEXP sinks, and most units need about as much BEXP as Neph does.

Well shit, there's the problem. I took a look at your logs. You're using way too many units. Seriously, it's like you're using every unit available. You need to funnel experience more into the units you actually plan to use long term. Or I'm seeing your logs wrong, but that's what it looks like.

Well, Stefan and Mia/Zihark are also not mutually exclusive. And Stefan also has this thing called AS that Devdan has a lot of trouble with (but Neph doesn't). Neph does not need 9+ levels of BEXP, you're overestimating that. She has chapters 11, 12, 13 (good one here), 14, and 16 before 17 even comes along. With a proper amount of BEXP and letting her see enough combat, it should be easy to promote her either by the start or middle of 17. She does not need an Arms Scroll (what do you think I've been doing here?) and a forge does not come at a great cost.

I also would argue against Devdan having better growths, at least when you compare it to the stats he's given. He'll only ever really beat her in HP, Lck, and Res. Neph is likely to be winning Str for most of the game and she'll always win Skl, Spd, and Def.

I'm sorry, since when did Nephenee have to be able to use the Killer Lance or be permanently useless forever?

Oh, and by the way, I remember playing and using such notable BEXP sinks such as Rolf, Astrid, Tormod, and Marcia, yet I had everyone promoted by Chapter 17, with room to spare.

Edited by Anouleth

Well shit, there's the problem. I took a look at your logs. You're using way too many units. Seriously, it's like you're using every unit available. You need to funnel experience more into the units you actually plan to use long term. Or I'm seeing your logs wrong, but that's what it looks like.

You're seeing it wrong. I've piled high amounts of BExp into a grand total of 4 units (Boyd/Mia sorta, Marcia and Nephenee). Everyone else has basically gotten zilch in comparison.

In addition, Anouleth, it's not that Nephenee is bad if she doesn't have the Killer Lance. It's that she's not as good as Devdan.

Edited by Life

You're seeing it wrong. I've piled high amounts of BExp into a grand total of 4 units (Boyd/Mia sorta, Marcia and Nephenee). Everyone else has basically gotten zilch in comparison.

There's also CEXP. Oscar, Soren, Ilyana, and Kieran all appear to have gotten a good amount (and Ike and Titania of course) while others like Lethe and Zihark have joined in as well. If you were to focus your BEXP and as much CEXP as possible into just 4 units (+ a few more for combat like Ike and Titania) there is no way you could be having BEXP problems.

There's also CEXP. Oscar, Soren, Ilyana, and Kieran all appear to have gotten a good amount (and Ike and Titania of course) while others like Lethe and Zihark have joined in as well. If you were to focus your BEXP and as much CEXP as possible into just 4 units (+ a few more for combat like Ike and Titania) there is no way you could be having BEXP problems.

Keiran joins at level 12, Soren and Ilyana have used maybe 300 of 3000 that I've acquired (that's put together) and Oscar's had... I don't think he has had BExp, actually. As for CExp, I more go with the best unit to kill who for reasons of positioning.

Edited by Life

Keiran joins at level 12, Soren and Ilyana have used maybe 300 of 3000 that I've acquired (that's put together) and Oscar's had... I don't think he has had BExp, actually. As for CExp, I more go with the best unit to kill who for reasons of positioning.

Kieran has had one map and gained over a level. Soren and Ilyana shouldn't even be used together. I understand that method of getting CEXP, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't still funnel experience into the units you plan to use long term as much as possible as long as it doesn't hurt turn count (which is easy in this game).

Thought I forgot about this, eh?

Chapter 12: 9 Turns

For the prep screen, I went by dondon's law of "make awesome units even fucking better" and gave Titania the Dragonshield. 15 Def is freaking nuts. BExped Soren, Keiran and Marcia a bit and dropped a couple of people for good (Mia, Ilyana...). I also forged a +5 Mt, +25 Hit Iron Axe called the Cleaver for Keiran. That should be good.

The chapter itself was simple. Jill gets recruited, Marcia flies around and kills some crows while the rest of the team lines the sides of the boat and kill off anything that comes close. Seeker went down to Jill, Titania and Keiran who loves the Hit on his Cleaver.

Ike      13.57  |33|16| 7|10|12| 7| 9| 7| Seraph Robe
Titania   6.67  |37|16| 6|17|16|15|15|10| Dragonshield
Boyd     16.18  |40|17| 2|12|14| 9|12| 3| Speedwing, Forge
Oscar    15.00  |35|10| 3|13|13| 9|12| 4|
Soren    12.73  |22| 1|13|14|12| 6| 3|12|
Mist      3.11  |16| 2| 5| 4| 7| 7| 2| 9|
Marcia   14.61  |26|10| 3|11|16| 6|11| 9| Forge
Keiran   15.28  |32|11| 2|12|14|10|11| 2| Forge
Nephenee 12.39  |23|10| 3|12|14| 8|11| 7| Forge
Zihark   11.18  |26|11| 1|14|15| 6| 7| 0| Forge
Jill      9.68  |25|12| 1|10|10| 6|12| 2|

Money: 11446 G (0 - 1902)

BExp: 906

MVP: Boyd

• 2 weeks later...

Chapter 13:

I had two choices of who to give the Seraph Robe to: Nephenee for more Wrath goodness or Titania so that she's very usable lategame. Both have their pros and cons so I decided to flip a coin. Titania won. This will be epic.

Supports are coming along nicely. So far, I have the following:

Ike/Oscar B

Mist/Titania C

Boyd/Titania C

Keiran/Oscar C

Other stuff that happened was the selling of the Secret Book, a forged Iron Lance (+5 Atk, +6 Crit, +10 Hit) for Jill called the Partisan and not much else. Saving BExp for a major dump for Chapter 15.

AND THEN...

Dolphin has frozen. I can't play Chapter 13 for some odd reason. Huh.

Use the newest builds of Dolphin for PoR (you can get them on the website), Dolphin 2.0 will freeze in Chapters 13 / 17. You just need to copy over the "GC" folder ([dolphin] > User > GC) into the same location in the other Dolphin to transfer over the save.