An important discovery

I learned something important today while playing Dark Dragon.

I recruited Thomas earlier on. He was at level 8. At level 10, his speed was 6.

Upon promotion, it was 14.

That's a stat boost of 8. Holy shit. I've always considered archers to be pretty useless, but this changes everything.

The gist of my discovery is this: Archers suck horribly. Snipers own all.

So it basically works the same as in Gaiden... that's good to know. I guess in the older games it's best to promote early. Strange how that kind of thing changes.

Speaking of which, do FE5 promoted units have lower EXP gain? I don't know if that debuted then or not.

For FE5 it all depends by class power, which goes from 1 to 5. I can't recite them by heart, but I can tell most unpromoted have around 2 and most promoted around 4. Some female classes and most dismounted classes have a lower class power as well, netting them more experience.

I'm pretty sure FE6 has something similar, but not as complicated. I do know Bishops and Valkyries give less experience than other promoted units, which can be easily seen in the arena. It's been a long time since I played a GBA FE, but I don't think this happens in FE7 or FE8.

It definitely happens in FE8 - Valkries gain more EXP. The site says it happens in FE7 as well, but it's mostly only non combat classes who are affected (Clerics, Soldiers, Troubadours, Bards, Thieves and Dancers)

It definitely happens in FE8 - Valkries gain more EXP. The site says it happens in FE7 as well, but it's mostly only non combat classes who are affected (Clerics, Soldiers, Troubadours, Bards, Thieves and Dancers)

That's helpful, especially in FE6, where the only light magic users are bishops. It can be annoying if you promote early, but that would definitely make it easier.

I always end up promoting my troubadours as soon as possible, since it becomes so much easier to train them once they can use a weapon. They still end up pretty useless, though, beyond their staff-using capabilities.