FE4 -- Promotion Timeframes

I've been playing through FE4, and something kind of worries me. What is the average time at which characters promote? I ask this because, in my last playthrough, many of my characters were unpromoted as of chapter 4. When can I expect my characters to reach promotion level if I don't use any crazy tricks vis-a-vis the arena and elite ring? And should I expect not all of my characters to be able to promote?

My first run, where I didn't know what I was doing, what with Arena and Elite and other shenanigans and tricks, my character levels at the end of Chapter 3 were

Sigurd	21.21
Noish	12.92
Alec	12.09
Ardan	6.14
Azel	9.87
Lex	19.14
Cuan	19.89
Fin	19.14
Ethlin	20.84
Midir	14.82
Aideen	20.65
Dew	6.51
Aira	15.41
Jamka	17.53
Deirdre	8.91
Holyn	17.35
Lachesis	11.11
Levin	14.55
Sylvie	5.5
Beowulf	20.96
Fury	12.47
Brigid	17.24
Tiltyu	7.01
Claude	21.7

Without Elite Ring, or really taking your time and milking reinforcements, you should not expect to see many promotions until midway through Chapter 3, IMO, and depending on playstyle, yes some units simply will not make their promotion without excessive favoritism.

Edited by Balcerzak

I'm near the end of Chapter 2, and these are my levels. Tell me if I'm on track.

Sigurd: 17.14

Noish: 10.73

Alec: 11.14

Ardan: 8.25

Fin: 10.75

Cuan: 14.73

Midir: 10.61

Levin: 7.73

Holyn: 14.89

Azel: 8.95

Jamka: 12.82

Beowulf: 11.30

Lex: 18.52 (FREAKIN' ELITE)

Dew: 2.85 (UGH)

Diadora: 6.72 (WHO CARES LOL)

Ethlin: 13.71

Lachesis: 8.37 (With Elite Ring)

Aira: 12.03

Fury: 6.34

Sylvia: 2.00

Adean: 8.80

EDIT: How do you get colors in your post like that?

Edited by Flock of Geese

Your Finn probably won't make it by the end of Ch3, sad to say. That's not a huge problem, but just bear it in mind. Aside from that, things seem to be tracking reasonably with my Ch2 numbers from that run. Some characters you have fluctuating up, others down (my Beo had Elite ring on that run and I didn't really think to move it for forever, which is why he's rivaling Lex in those numbers). It is probably fair to say that you'll see the majority of your promotions in Chapter 4.

Also, I stuck the list in [code][/code] tags to preserve spacing. Coloration is just a side-effect of the forum trying to do syntax-highlighting, I assume.

Edited by Balcerzak

The way I play FE4 these days is I only bother to use the units I plan on using, so obviously Noishe (IMO, although he does make a good father so I've heard), Arden, Cuan (to a certain extent), Deirdre and others won't be hogging the EXP, rather sitting at base, this way, I can focus on a select few and can effectively have high levels on these few throughout the generation. I know it is tempting to use everyone at once, but it will make things harder in the long run as the EXP will be sparse.

Edited by Axefighter Maji

Is it feasible to use all the units? After Maji's post, I'm starting to wonder if I shouldn't leave some units at base. The first time I ever played a FE game (7), I tried to use all my units equally! Needless to say, it did NOT meet with good results, and I had to start over. I don't want to make the same mistake this time around.

Yes, it is possible to use everyone at once, although like you mentioned, it's usually not recommendable as it will unbalance the EXP distribution among your units. When I play (mind you: I don't play for low turn count and or efficiency), I usually end up only using the potential parents in first gen (I'm sure the children will LOVE the enormous stat boosts from their near level 30 parents), and my favourites in second gen.

I use everyone. Well, mostly everyone. Adan almost is always useless (except one time I made him my main player and paired him with Ayra... pimped out with rings, he stayed near others).

I just emphasize kills with people I want to get the most experience. But I get the most experience out of any one unit for whoever is nearby. Including units not passing on genes. Yohalva was sexy to fight with in FE4 - Genealogy of Neir, but he wasn't a father. Same goes for Holyn in the vanilla game, or Lex, when they don't get paired up.

It is a lot easier to use everyone in the second generation however, probably save Patty depending on who her father is, and Corple who can just staff spam.

Add Hannibal to that list. He's only really helpful for defending castles.

Edited by Darros

Is it feasible to use all the units? After Maji's post, I'm starting to wonder if I shouldn't leave some units at base. The first time I ever played a FE game (7), I tried to use all my units equally! Needless to say, it did NOT meet with good results, and I had to start over. I don't want to make the same mistake this time around.

It is, that's the idea behind a ranked run. However, in Gen 1, you need to engage in a certain amount of RNG abuse for certain characters to be able to make it through the arena, and you need to really be smart about how you manage your money so that Diadora, Ethlin, Lachesis, and Aideen can gain lots of exp from staves.

I think I'll just continue using everyone, with some people more than others. Ethlin is getting a lot more EXP this time than in my last run. As much as I'd love to have a general in the first gen, I just don't think Arden will ever reach promotion. I would like to use Lex to guard castles, but I'd like to build his support with Ira.

Thanks for your input.