Computer help

Florete

I am posting this from my brother's computer because I can't log into mine. I came last night and my screen was black with the fan at full power, and nothing I could try would do anything. I've since tried to get back on but when I start up it gets to right before it would let me log in and then it stops at "Please Wait."

I can usually log in with the Safe Modes but those don't get me anything. I've done a few start-up tests and everything passed but nothing changed. I don't know what to do. Any suggestions would help.

By the way, my computer is HP Pavillion Entertainment PC.

I don't know. How do I find out?

My brother says it might be Vista.

If you haven't upgraded the OS on the machine, there should be a sticker/tag somewhere on the case that lists which OS is on the machine, along with the product key for the install. That will tell you which OS is on the machine. (It'll generally have a Microsoft logo on it and it's rectangular. Not too hard to miss. IIRC, companies tend to love sticking in the worst place, on the bottom of the case.) If you don't have one, then we could probably tell based on the login screen or the boot-up sequence.

Edited by Lord Glenn

Dunno if this is still bugging you. Sorry I didn't see this earlier.

1. If you have a spare pen drive lying around, you can download UNetbootin. This application will download the Linux version of your choice, so that you can boot your computer from the pen drive, not the hard disk. I'm a huge fan of Puppy Linux, because it's cute, small, and has yet to fail me. Follow the on-screen instructions to "burn" a boot disk onto the pen drive. If you need more details, let me know.

2. You'll need to make sure your computer boots from the pen drive. Please refer to this article to change the boot order on your stubborn computer. You want any USB hard drives (or stuff that's worded like that) to come first.

3. Plug in the pen drive into a spare USB slot on your computer, then turn it on.

4. Can you let me know if this worked/where I need to work on explaining things/what happened?

Oh, hey eclipse. Sorry I didn't notice your post until now. I stopped watching this thread because a friend of my dad's works in this area, has my machine, knows how and is going to fix it for me. It'll take another week or two, though. Sorry I didn't get to try your method, but thanks for your concern and trying to help.

Also, since everyone tells me Vista sucks (if I'd known that in the first place I'd have likely never installed it...), I'll be getting Windows XP.

Support for XP is going to be cut off recently, so it may be in your best interest to upgrade to Windows 7 instead of going back to XP. If you wantn to try it, you could also choose to use Linux as your primary OS as well, keeping Vista/XP/whatever as a secondary for Windows only applications.

Support for XP is going to be cut off recently, so it may be in your best interest to upgrade to Windows 7 instead of going back to XP.

She's still got until April 2014 if she is going with XP. That is still a good amount of time.

She's still got until April 2014 if she is going with XP. That is still a good amount of time.

Oh, I thought it was much sooner than that.

Get both. Have money to purchase one or the other, and then install pirate copies of XP and Windows 7, decide what you like, and then cough up cash.

I'm personally on XP. But I've been feeling it's about time to update, especially now that Windows 7 has enough inside and outside tweaks to get rid of the annoying and useless. Something not even Vista can boast about D: