Conceptual physics question regarding Hawking radiation

Fire Emblem Addict

So I've been thinking about Hawking radiation for the past few days (need to write a physics essay) but I just can't seem to understand emission of Hawking radiation at the event horizon. At event horizon, the distance between the centre of mass of the black hole and the point of emission IS the Schwarzchild radius of said black hole. This would mean that the gravitational redshift of the emitted EM radiation would be infinitely high, which would in turn mean that the wavelength is 0. How can this be? A wave with a wavelength of 0 means that the wave doesn't exist... Therefore for a Hawking radiation to be observed, it must be emitted some distance d from the event horizon. Right? If so, then what exactly is the value of d?

Any help would be appreciated!

EDIT: Oh, and how do I find the maximum allowable value for d beyond which the particle-antiparticle pair will recombine?

Edited by Fire Emblem Addict

• 2 weeks later...

Lemme think about it....I'm actually going to have to read this.....

I think I'm just going to have to answer your question with another question......

What do you think is, from the perspective of physics, the best guess as to the age of the universe?

(I know, I know, I know, just choose one physicist who you think made the best guess as to the age of the universe, with the smallest margin of error. We are talking the big bang, forward.)

Hmm correct me if I'm wrong but I think through analysis of the cosmic microwave background radiation, the universe is estimated to be 13.7 billion years old?

As for the question, I guess everyone can forget about because I think I need to use tensors and GR to solve it... F*ck Einstein and his complicated mathematics...

Hmm correct me if I'm wrong but I think through analysis of the cosmic microwave background radiation, the universe is estimated to be 13.7 billion years old?

As for the question, I guess everyone can forget about because I think I need to use tensors and GR to solve it... F*ck Einstein and his complicated mathematics...

Got it. 13.7 billion years....that's a bit older than I heard the last time I asked, IIRC.

But, ya, I would go after the one physicist (ONE) who seems to have the best guess, and then try and demolish him (OR HER, I'm still a misogynist cuz i forgot to say her). Just in case he thinks he's smarter than everyone else regarding the age of the universe.

Edited by SeverIan