Mapping tips/help?

Superfan959

So I've been interested in FE hacking for awhile now, but my Mac has always limited me. I recently got the urge to look into it again though.

I figured that I could at least make maps. So I found a tilemapping program for Mac (Tiled) and tried to get into it. But...

1) Will I be able to ever "use" these maps? Like, can they be inserted if they aren't made in Mappy?

2) Despite being relatively organized, the tiles are still confusing the hell out of me. I literally can't make a solid path. I have a little bit of experience using tiles from Zelda Classic, but I cannot for the life of me seem to figure these out. I don't see any way to make a decent structure without placing tiles down on offsets, but that would mess everything up, so I'm assuming that's not the solution. Any tips here?

3) Also, on a side note, is this the most active FE hacking community? I'm seriously out of the loop... I used to go to Tactics Universe, which seemed to have everything. But that site is changed, and doesn't look nearly as active.

Edited by bigmac909

Those are tutorials for helping you make your maps look polished. I think he really wants to know if what he's doing can even make it into the ROM.

Does Mappy not work on Macs?

I've been using a bit of Tiled myself lately and I'm actually very interested making an inserter for it. There's plenty of existing code available for it in C#, so getting it to work won't be that difficult or time consuming. Be back later...

Else-wise, get a small Windows emulator for your program, and you should be fine. There should be a good amount of low-size ones floating around just for some small program-running here and there. More on linux-stuffs, but Mac has its share too.

As long as they are saved as a .mar they will be insert-able. I do believe this is the most, or at least one of the most active ones.

Ok thanks, that's good to know.

Those are pretty good, thanks!

Are there any tutorials like that for spriting? Though I guess I should look first :XD:

Those are tutorials for helping you make your maps look polished. I think he really wants to know if what he's doing can even make it into the ROM.

Does Mappy not work on Macs?

Well, I asked for some help mapping too. And thank you for making those tuts!

The Mappy website says PC+Mac, but none of the downloads seem to back up the latter claim... or work at all for that matter...

I've been using a bit of Tiled myself lately and I'm actually very interested making an inserter for it. There's plenty of existing code available for it in C#, so getting it to work won't be that difficult or time consuming. Be back later...

That's really reassuring to know that there are vets out there using this then. And an inserter would be nice. Thanks.

Else-wise, get a small Windows emulator for your program, and you should be fine. There should be a good amount of low-size ones floating around just for some small program-running here and there. More on linux-stuffs, but Mac has its share too.

Like a virtual machine? That's a good suggestion, but I felt it was too big even with one small windows emulator. I had tried it at one point, and once I deleted it, there was a noticeable improvement.

And, IIRC, I tried running Nightmare in Wine, and that didn't end up working either.

EDIT: Oh, I forgot to ask: is it possible to simply load up a .png of a FE chapter, and use those tiles to help me figure out the arrangement of things? Or will the "tileset" be messed up?

EDIT 2: I realized that one single column of Feaw's tilesets are "pushed over" for me. How can I fix this?

picture1nr.png

See? On the far right there? Any idea on how to fix this? Not completely hindering, but extremely annoying to a novice.

Edited by bigmac909

My Tiled inserter will likely fix that small annoyance, but it will require remaking all tilesets. Won't take much time since I've ripped tilesets before. Fixing it for Mappy will just cause problems, since we would have 2 sets of tilesets and both would need their own inserter and people would just confuse them all the time. Tiled inserter will likely also be able to handle tile changes as well, though I still need to test that.

EDIT: Oh, I forgot to ask: is it possible to simply load up a .png of a FE chapter, and use those tiles to help me figure out the arrangement of things? Or will the "tileset" be messed up?

Nope, it won't work.

As long as they are saved as a .mar they will be insert-able. I do believe this is the most, or at least one of the most active ones.

Ok thanks, that's good to know..

Tiled doesn't support MAR files as far as I know. It's file formats are XML based.

Edited by Nintenlord

Ok, so I decided to go the Virtual Machine route; everything else was just getting too complicated. But I must say that Mappy SUCKS compared to Tiled. I really wish there were some way to export Tiled maps as even just .png's, so I could just import them into Mappy as a tileset and Copy/Pasta the whole thing (...I think? Because the Tiled map will already be in 16x16 format? I don't really know...)

So Nintenlord, I'm not trying to ask for some sort of commitment or anything; I'm sure you're a busy dude, but what are the chances of that Tiled inserter happening? I'm just wondering if I should just get used to Mappy or if I can go back to Tiled.

Honestly, the inserter is already finished and once I have the FE7 tilesets prepared and a tutorial made (tile changes will require a few new things), I'll release it all. It's no trouble to me at all, I've been thinking of doing this for awhile, you just provided the last push for it.

And Tiled does have the option to save the map as PNG, it's the Save as image option.

Edited by Nintenlord

But I must say that Mappy SUCKS compared to Tiled. I really wish there were some way to export Tiled maps as even just .png's, so I could just import them into Mappy as a tileset and Copy/Pasta the whole thing (...I think? Because the Tiled map will already be in 16x16 format? I don't really know...)

Though the Tiled inserter is done, I should point out that this still wouldn't work, as NL mentioned above. The reason the tilesets are necessary is because of their structure/data/whatever. The game needs to know what to apply to a map, and the MAR file mainly just says that coordinate (1,1) uses Tile block X from the tileset. If you use a tileset different than what you have available in the game (whether it's something you've added manually or something pre-existing) and try to map one of the game's tilesets to the map, it'll think that Tile X from what you used in Mappy is actually Tile X on the real tileset, producing incorrect tiles on the map.

(That might not be the *exact* process as to how everything works, but it should get the general idea across.)

I'll release the inserter and tilesets for FE7 today, with any luck a tutorial will be out today, too. FE6 and FE8 tilesets will have to wait until next week, I'm afraid.

EDIT:

Just finished uploading:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/341300/Graphics/Tiled%20map%20inserter.zip

Check the README for basic instructions, though it shouldn't be much more complicated to use than Mar Array inserter. However, I don't know if this works on Mono, but it may work on Wine with .NET. Supporting multiple platforms has never been very high priority for me.

EDIT2: Tutorial is up:

http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=26486

Edited by Nintenlord