Question about Super-Effective bonuses.

Shiningbolt

Such as Bows against most flying units and Hammers to Knights and Hector. A rather simple question. (and I'm sorry if this has already been explained somewhere else)

What exactly determines the effectiveness of a super-effective weapon?

I'm under the assumption that it varies depending on the weapon and possibly game considering Hector would take a lot of damage from a Hammer and yet Marcia can possibly take just 1 damage from a bow. But, if the weapon is a crossbow, it does double damage.

Such as Bows against most flying units and Hammers to Knights and Hector. A rather simple question. (and I'm sorry if this has already been explained somewhere else)

I'm under the assumption that it varies depending on the weapon and possibly game considering Hector would take a lot of damage from a Hammer and yet Marcia can possibly take just 1 damage from a bow. But, if the weapon is a crossbow, it does double damage.

Double? I thought it was triple damage...

Different games, different rules. Check out the respective Calculations pages in the website game sections.

About the bow/crossbow thing: that's probably because effectiveness multiplies weapon Might in that game - and crossbows have higher Might because they ignore Str.

Edited by TheEnd

It depends on the game but not on the weapon. In most games, Weapon Might gets tripled (this includes WTA/WTD, which is why the Rapier tends to suck). This is why Crossbows do so much damage (24*3 attack for the weakest type)

Exceptions are

In FE2, it just tripled your attack outright

In FE4, your attacks automatically critical

In the non-JP versions of FE7 as well as all versions of FE9, weapon might was doubled instead of tripled

Note that in FE1/3/5 (as well as FE10's hardest mode) Weapon Triangle either doesn't exist or doesn't modify attack.

Edited by Paperblade

Each weapon has the attribute set individually in the game's data to be effective against certain classes, if I recall correctly. I never really fiddled around with Nightmare much.

Hector is weak to hammers? That's news to me.

The effectiveness bonus in the same game is always the same - it triples the Mt of the weapon (not the sum of the weapon's Mt and the user's Str, just the Mt itself) in most games.

It's only doubled in FE7 and FE9, though, which explains why "effective" weapons there aren't exactly very effective for the most part.

This also explains why crossbows in FE10 are so obscenely effective against flying units - something like 28x3 Atk just hurts. A lot.

EDIT: There be a lot of ninjas around tonight.

Edited by Shade of Shadow

It has much to do with the game. I don't know if anyone could offer a better explanation, and/or any knowledge outside of what I know, but...

Effective bonuses are 2x in non-JP!FE7 and FE9, 3x in most FEs, and the same as a critical hit in FE4 on enemies NOT equipped with Nihil, FE8 is a strange case since legendary weapons not named Gleipnir have an effective bonus of 2x, while everything else that is effective against something has an effective bonus of 3x. (Gleipnir has no effective bonuses, sadly.) In JP!FE7, if I'm reading the main site' FE7 calculations correctly, has given the Wyrmslayer, the Dragon Axe, the Sol Katti, Durandal, Armads, and Forblaze a 2x effective bonus meanwhile Armorslayers, Long Swords, Rapiers, the Mani Katti, Heavy Spears, Horseslayers, Hammers, Poleaxes, Wolf Beils, Swordslayers, Bows not named the Emblem Bow, and Aureola all have a 3x effective bonus.

EDIT: I made an error, the Sol Katti has a 2x effective bonus, not a 3x effective bonus.

Edited by LittleAl

It has much to do with the game. I don't know if anyone could offer a better explanation, and/or any knowledge outside of what I know, but...

Effective bonuses are 2x in non-JP!FE7 and FE9, 3x in most FEs, and the same as a critical hit in FE4 on enemies NOT equipped with Nihil, FE8 is a strange case since legendary weapons not named Gleipnir have an effective bonus of 2x, while everything else that is effective against something has an effective bonus of 3x. (Gleipnir has no effective bonuses, sadly.) In JP!FE7, if I'm reading the main site' FE7 calculations correctly, has given the Wyrmslayer, the Dragon Axe, Durandal, Armads, and Forblaze a 2x effective bonus meanwhile Armorslayers, Long Swords, Rapiers, the Mani Katti, the Sol Katti, Heavy Spears, Horseslayers, Hammers, Poleaxes, Wolf Beils, Swordslayers, Bows not named the Emblem Bow, and Aureola all have a 3x effective bonus.

I see...Does this apply to skills that give effective bonuses as well?

You mean Dragonfoe, Beastfoe and Birdfoe? Yes, those skills simply make every weapon the user uses against the applicable enemies have effective might.

I'd imagine so. The the skills you're speaking of, however, only exist in FE10, and are only effective against certain Laguz.

EDIT: Ninja'd.

Edited by LittleAl

You mean Dragonfoe, Beastfoe and Birdfoe? Yes, those skills simply make every weapon the user uses against the applicable enemies have effective might.

I'd imagine so. The the skills you're speaking of, however, only exist in FE10, and are only effective against certain Laguz.

Okay, and one last question. If I were to give lIyana Dragonfoe and attacked a Dragon with Thunder-based tome, would it remain at 3x might?

Thanks.

Okay, and one last question. If I were to give lIyana Dragonfoe and attacked a Dragon with Thunder-based tome, would it remain at 3x might?

Thanks.

Correct, since it treats all weapons as though they're effective, rather than multiplying all weapon might by 3.

• 1 month later...

Hector is weak to hammers? That's news to me.

Yes he is. Came a a nasty shock to me too when I found out. On that note, Lyn is weak to Swordslayers.

It seems Great Lord and Blade Lord are treated like a General and Swordmaster respectively when it comes to effictiveness bonuses.

Yes he is. Came a a nasty shock to me too when I found out. On that note, Lyn is weak to Swordslayers.

It seems Great Lord and Blade Lord are treated like a General and Swordmaster respectively when it comes to effictiveness bonuses.

Lyn: Swordmaster

Hector: General

Eliwood: Paladin

*gasp*