FE4 menus

Florete

The translation I have for FE4 isn't too great, so I was wondering if someone could help me with the menus and such. Stuff like:

The stuff under personal data.

The stuff at the top left of the character screen.

The data and config menus altogether.

And that ring of stuff that comes up in the character screens.

I'll be looking for a better translation but if I can't use one I'll just have to go with this. If I need anything else I'll add it. Also, any random tips for the game now that I'm starting would be appreciated.

The enemy phase music is badass.

I think I've seen that translation. There's a newer translation that claims to be 85% or so done that has everything useful gamewise translated out there. Regardless, the in-game menu options from top to bottom are:

-Unit

-Item

-Data

-Skill

-Config

-Save

-End

Personally, I only really use Save and End.

The menu that pops up when you move a unit reads, in order:

-Attack

-Staff (if possible)

-Wait

-Give money to adjacent lover, or anybody if giver is a thief (if possible)

-Equip

-Anime (for animation)

The ring of stuff shows what Holy Blood a character has, and which holy weapon the might be able to use as a result. Anybody with any part of that ring flashing is a damn fine unit.

Under Personal Info:

-Lead (the main lord if on your side, a boss if on another)

-Lover (who they're attached to since you put them next to each other a lot, like supports)

-Talk (if they have a special conversation they can do something will pop up, if not it'll be a strike-through)

-Movement range

-How much gold that character has

-How far they've gotten in that chapter's arena (this is only worth something after the prologue)

-Status, like berserk, sleep or normal

The stuff at the tip top left of the char screen shows the name, level, experience and class of the unit. The stats below that is, in order:

-strength

-magic

-skill

-speed

-luck

-defense

-resistance

Sorry if you already knew some of that. Misc tips:

Anybody who isn't a blue-haired social knight who uses axes sucks. Axes are pretty bad in general here. In fact, swords are the only really reliable melee weapons most of the time, excluding hero weapons (equal to brave weapons), holy weapons and the slim lance.

There's no reason to use iron weapons if possible. Slim weapons do more damage and weigh less, steel weapons do more damage and weigh the same, and silver weapons do more damage than all of them and weigh the same as iron and steel. Also, weapon skill levels are fixed, except in regards to promotion, when it could go up.

Archers (not bow knights) are fucking hawt in this game.

Fire is the heaviest kind of tome by far. In fact, all the normal anima tomes have the same power structures, it's just fire is heavier than thunder which is heavier than wind. The only difference is the weights and the triangle stuff. Regardless, wind>all because it's like 10 things lighter than fire.

This place's walkthrough has some really damn fine tips and secrets to share:

http://www.eaichu250.superbusnet.com/fe4.php

Are you trying to play it in Japanese or have you not found the better patch?

I've found a better patch, but it wouldn't work when I applied it. I found this translation to at least work, so I'll see if I can deal with it while trying to make a better one work.

Ah. That goes:

-Attack power

-Hit percent

-Attack range

-Evade percent

Yet another thing: You may have noticed this game has rather large maps. They only get bigger, and many of them are the size of a country. This leads to movement range actually being kind of important in determining a unit's worth, since there are some rather tight-for-time bandit and hostage situations in the game.

tldr; Horses and the movement booster rock.

I've found a better patch, but it wouldn't work when I applied it. I found this translation to at least work, so I'll see if I can deal with it while trying to make a better one work.

Are you trying to patch over the old translation? Don't do that >.< Go get a fresh ROM, it's generally safer.

Also, for the newest translations, virtually all translation patches have come from the defunct J2E or members of FESS. As the latter is still running, go over to their forums and check the pinned threads. They will have the newest versions of the patches. Since EFED is dead, I wouldn't trust that place--it may not have any updates since the patch was even last uploaded.

Are you trying to patch over the old translation? Don't do that >.< Go get a fresh ROM, it's generally safer.

Also, for the newest translations, virtually all translation patches have come from the defunct J2E or members of FESS. As the latter is still running, go over to their forums and check the pinned threads. They will have the newest versions of the patches. Since EFED is dead, I wouldn't trust that place--it may not have any updates since the patch was even last uploaded.

I'm patching a fresh Rom. I'm using FESS's.