digital camera

whase

lately I've been borrowing my father's digital camera a lot, so I think it's time for me to finally buy one for myself. problem is, I don't know what to look for in a digital camera.

I noticed in this store I've been looking, camera's over there cost between about €80 and €800, so I'm planning not to spend more than €150 on one. after all it's my first and I don't need that much fancy stuff on it. My father's camera has only about 4.3 mega pixel (and I was okay with that), while anything for sale now is over 10 mega pixel. So I guess I don't have to worry about that.

but besides that, I have no idea how much memory I need on it, or what optical zoom and what digital zoom is. and etcetera...

so do you have a digital camera? If yes, how happy are you with it? how much did it cost you? what fancy effects and stuff do you have on it and are they worth the money?

For starters, more megapixels does not always mean a better camera. You have to take account of other things, such lens quality, and other technical details. A lower megapixel camera with a great lens, white balance, FCC (I think?), can take better pictures than a 10 megapixel camera. Using curremt exchange rates for euros (Euros correct?), it seems you want to spend about ~200 US. That will get a pretty damn solid camera, plus loads of memory.

Other things you may want to consider are things like internet connection to things like facebook and youtube, where you can directly upload pictures over wifi. Also, do you want to shoot HD film? Hell some cameras even shoot 3D photos now, not that you likely would care about that.

Also, one general rule of digital cameras is that you want lots of optical zoom and little digital. Digital usually just turns photos grainy and is rather unpleasant. Another is to consider brands. Some brands such as Kodak, generally have a solid construction, while off brands may seem nicer due to undercutting the price, but they sacrifice it through cheaper parts.

My suggestion would be this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16830170368

Unless you want something specific, this takes really nice shots. I know because I bought this one as a wedding gift, and I've seen the photo quality. That would leave you plenty of money to go pick up a nice beefy 8-16GB card and even a case if you want.

Hope this helps a bit.

*lots of helpful information*

thanks, that's helpful.

that's, calculated back to €, only €83. that's a nice price. I'll keep my eye on this one.

now to find out what all those details actually mean~