BlueLeafeon's Sprites

BlueLeafeon

So with my BRAND NEW MONITOR SCREEN I've come to realize that what I was seeing was not what everyone else was seeing.

What I was seeing:

oldmonitor.png

What everyone else was seeing:

kedarfe8.png

So yeah, now I'm going back through my characters and giving them color makeovers:

kendra1.gif -> kendra_black.png

dean.png -> dean_black.png

michael_new2.png --> michael_new2.png

lance.png -> lance_new.gif

And I've also been making new sprites:

chase_new.png

...Heterochromia. It makes 15-color limits a tad difficult to manage.

Edited by MagicTiger

dean_black.png

Well what I'm seeing on this guy is that it looks like the blond bits of his hair are supposed to end up being covered up by the black hair eventually... But they kinda look like they just disappear randomly. Say the bit on the bottom right: the yellow part is partially good I think because it has its darkest color around the outer edge of it on top, but at the bottom there's the lightest shade towards the edge. I think you should be adding the darkest shade around those areas because it makes them look more like that's where they get covered up, or just to show the edge of it like objects in mugs usually are. But that'd also mean doing that to the black strands of the hair. And the strand at the very top has this random "bump" or dark spot in its shading, around the bottom edge of it. It really doesn't look like it should be there so just replace that =]

Other than that I'm not seeing too many problems.

• 2 weeks later...
Well what I'm seeing on this guy is that it looks like the blond bits of his hair are supposed to end up being covered up by the black hair eventually... But they kinda look like they just disappear randomly. Say the bit on the bottom right: the yellow part is partially good I think because it has its darkest color around the outer edge of it on top, but at the bottom there's the lightest shade towards the edge. I think you should be adding the darkest shade around those areas because it makes them look more like that's where they get covered up, or just to show the edge of it like objects in mugs usually are. But that'd also mean doing that to the black strands of the hair. And the strand at the very top has this random "bump" or dark spot in its shading, around the bottom edge of it. It really doesn't look like it should be there so just replace that =]

Okay, thank you. I'll look into fixing that.

I recognize him from a hack, but I don't remember which one.

Link's War, most likely. I actually have a more customized form of him but it bugs me for some reason. Maybe I'll post it for critique sometime.

Since I know SuperLuigi posts at this forum, I'm going to post my maps now. XD

triannoscastlescrn.png

Triannos Castle, used for a cutscene

prologuescrn.png

The actual prologue map.

Edited by MagicTiger

map_1_crit.png

Pink: The path highlighted is a bit jerky and jagged.

Red: This section of path is pretty boring, try to make it more interesting.

Blue: The hills seem to have been just placed here at random, prehaps you should add some mountains or cliffs here as well.

Green: The town outside the castle seems a bit too spaced out, dull and quit unnatural

Look a few of these maps for useful references as to how to create a town on the outskirts of a castle:

FE8 - Chapter 10A

FE8 - Cutscene Renais

FE8 - Cutscene Grado

I would also suggest looking at Prime's mapping tutorial here, since it is very comprehensive and should prove a useful reference.

Edited by Superluigi

map_1_crit.png

Pink: The path highlighted is a bit jerky and jagged.

Red: This section of path is pretty boring, try to make it more interesting.

Blue: The hills seem to have been just placed here at random, prehaps you should add some mountains or cliffs here as well.

Green: The town outside the castle seems a bit too spaced out, dull and quit unnatural

Look a few of these maps for useful references as to how to create a town on the outskirts of a castle:

FE8 - Chapter 10A

FE8 - Cutscene Renais

FE8 - Cutscene Grado

I would also suggest looking at Prime's mapping tutorial here, since it is very comprehensive and should prove a useful reference.

It never ceases to amaze me how you find these things. XD

I wouldn't call Renais' castle thing a "town."

Also, the green mountains/hills are there because geographically speaking, the plains of Triannos proper are very...hill-y. (for lack of a better term) I was trying to imply that with the hills, but they do appear rather random...okay, I've done some editing.

triannoscastle.png

Better?

That's where cliffs come in, not hill tiles (well you can use a few hill tiles, but in it's current state it looks extremely ugly and it's geographically totally not possible.

You might want to change the thicket tiles (the tile used from the tileset, that is). Same with most trees up there.

The "arms" of the path are too symmetrical, just make them a bit more uneven and they're good. Speaking of symmetry, do the same with the villages and houses (and possibly the shops).

The two northern patches of light grass are too blocky and look really unappealing.

Other than that, yes, better.

Edited by Feawr The Kitty