problems hacking FE 5

Dark Nocturne

so i am trying to mod fire emblem 5 with nightmare 2 and it wont work :/ all im changing is certain characters class, portraits, and growths and i changed marty to a female mage (changed gender and gave him Daisy's portrait) im not touchin the other stuff cuz im not that familier with hacking yet . so id just like some help cuz the rom wont work after i save it. please help me :C

Are you saving the changes? You need to press your Return key after each change you make, and save.

yes im saving it, my problem is that the emulator wont play the game after i modulate it. im wondering if its nightmare thats messing it up of if theres another modulator to use. basically the emulator just black screens

Your program might be editing things at the wrong address. There's four different versions of Thracia 776 that I can recall--the V.ROM verion and the N version, and each of these can be headered or unheadered. I don't know if the two version differences have different addresses, but if they do, you need to have the specific whatever for that specific version of your ROM.

If you ROM is headered, it has an addition $200 bytes at the beginning of the file, which pushes everything else $200 over. If your modules aren't specificied for the headered version, it's going to assume the data it's looking at is in the right place--not $200 placed down. So you're going to be editing things you don't actually want to. You might be editing code which breaks your game.

Hopefully that might help a little--try and find out what version of the ROM your modules are supposed to support.

Your program might be editing things at the wrong address. There's four different versions of Thracia 776 that I can recall--the V.ROM verion and the N version, and each of these can be headered or unheadered. I don't know if the two version differences have different addresses, but if they do, you need to have the specific whatever for that specific version of your ROM.

If you ROM is headered, it has an addition $200 bytes at the beginning of the file, which pushes everything else $200 over. If your modules aren't specificied for the headered version, it's going to assume the data it's looking at is in the right place--not $200 placed down. So you're going to be editing things you don't actually want to. You might be editing code which breaks your game.

Hopefully that might help a little--try and find out what version of the ROM your modules are supposed to support.

how can i check that? bear in mind that im just strarting and am pretty much learning on my own

http://forum.romulation.net/index.php?topic=17597.0

That might help you find out if you have a header or not. I seem to remember most SNES emulators that people use will say whether you have a header or not when the game first boots up. I even think BSNES will remove headers forcibly (it's a SNES emulator that heavily relies on accuracy where ZSNES and Snes9x are a bit "unrealistic" in some of their emulation).

But the NP says you have that Nintendo Power version. That's pretty helpful, as the you know if your modules say they only work for the V.ROM, then you can't use those modules :(

http://forum.romulat...p?topic=17597.0

That might help you find out if you have a header or not. I seem to remember most SNES emulators that people use will say whether you have a header or not when the game first boots up. I even think BSNES will remove headers forcibly (it's a SNES emulator that heavily relies on accuracy where ZSNES and Snes9x are a bit "unrealistic" in some of their emulation).

But the NP says you have that Nintendo Power version. That's pretty helpful, as the you know if your modules say they only work for the V.ROM, then you can't use those modules :(

thanks ill check that out

• 1 month later...

Did check about the header issue? Also, restart with a fresh ROM and make only one change and see if it still crashes.

i tried to use the snestool but it wont work on my comp. says its not compatible with my version of windows. i know pl have hacked it b4 with nightmare i just wish i knew how. maybe im using the wrong kind of rom