[FE8] Eph NM Draft style

13th

And... Thanks to Whitefang for this lovely intro post that I copy/paste/edited for this challenge draft!

Welcome, friends, to what I believe to be the very first FE8 Auction Draft Challenge! I've been thinking about this idea for a while, and I hope it works. I found a thread kicking the idea around, and it confirmed a few concerns that I had about the format. I believe that I have a way to make this work. If you don't want to play FE8, don't worry, I might consider running a similar challenge for another game (if you have a request, let it be heard).

Why normal mode?

Because. Its a little different, so its a tester

Why a Vickrey auction?

This will provide incentive for everyone to bid a unit's true value, and it should also ensure that everyone has some virtual money to play with every round. This also doesn't require everyone to be present at the same time as in an English or Dutch auction.

Before we get to the fun stuff, here are the rules:

Your objective is to get the lowest turn count. Should two players tie, the player with the most auction points remaining will be the winner. If still tied, the player with the fewest drafted units will be victorious.

Free characters and allowed actions

Eirika, Ephraim, and Orson are free to all players

Seth Ban

They may search for treasure in the desert like other undrafted units.

Undrafted characters may trade with drafted characters and recruit other characters. They may help find hidden treasure in the desert. They may also shop, and they can rescue each other. And they can move, but hopefully that's obvious.

Trainees may be leveled to 10/1/0 in Valni. Anything else and you will be disqualified. (Thanks for reminding me, HongLei.)

Any other actions taken by undrafted characters results in a 4 turn penalty for each character (maximum once per map per character).

The draft!

The draft format will be a sealed-bid second-price auction (I'm linking it again in case you missed it earler). A group of characters will be presented for auction, and you will PM me with your bids for each character. The total of your bids may not exceed your current total auction points.

The player who presents the highest bid for a character will win the character, and will pay a number of auction points equal to the value of the second highest bid.

Ties will be decided randomly, unless one player has won more ties than the other, in which case the other player will win the tie.

You begin with 100 auction points.

To keep you on your toes, I will not reveal the results of each auction, so you will not know how many auction points are available to each other player, nor will you know who has won the character.

I will let you know if you won, and how much you spent, so that you can plan for subsequent characters.

I will try to avoid having like characters in the same auction, so expect the Paladins to be split up, as well as the fliers, etc.

1:Igotcareless

2: HongLei AND General Horace is now bidding for him.

3: GreenOyster

4:rigadoo XiSrOn

to save my headache, unit list.

Franz

Gilliam

Vanessa

Moulder

Ross

Garcia

Niemi

Colm

Artur

Lute

Natasha

Joshua

Forde

Kyle

Tana

Amelia

Innes

Gerik

Tethys

Marisa

L'Arachel

Dolza

Saleh

Ewan

Cormag

Rennac

Duessel

Knoll

Myrhh

Syrene

Edited by 13thshadow

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to join.

Edit: You might want to ban Seth. Of course, it could be entertaining to see what happens when he's bid for. Someone will end up with him and maybe 1 or 2 other characters.

Edited by Igotcareless

Remember, PM me your bids. I will announce the results tomorrow morning, so you CAN edit your bid if you want.

First Characters: Moulder and Gerik

Also, for the heck of it, I'm going to follow this up by doing a team of my own. Eirika, Ephraim, and Seth. Just to see EXACTLY how broken he is.

Edited by 13thshadow

Remember, PM me your bids. I will announce the results tomorrow morning, so you CAN edit your bid if you want.

First Characters: Moulder and Gerik

Also, for the heck of it, I'm going to follow this up by doing a team of my own. Eirika, Ephraim, and Seth. Just to see EXACTLY how broken he is.

It's tough for me to decide what to bid on 2 important characters when I don't know whether or not Seth will be allowed.

I humbly request that you allow the participants to vote on whether or not we want Seth to be allowed.

Edited by rigadoog

Now.

Forde and Gilliam

EDIT: As in, when I checked my PMs after getting on. Bid and I will check before I leave in the morning.

Edited by 13thshadow

A group of characters will be presented for auction, and you will PM me with your bids for each character. The total of your bids may not exceed your current total auction points.
Franz AND Vanessa?! In one bid?! blink.gif

Two bids, just simultaneous.

Two bids, just simultaneous.

I know, I know... it's just, the two top picks in one round? Damn...

I figure he tells you if you win, but I'm not sure. And I assume he tells you the price.

If you win, he sends you a PM telling you who you won and how much you spent. If you don't win, you don't get a PM, so just assume you lost both characters if you don't get one