Mug Critiques?

Ziose0

showcase01.png

I just need some advice on how I can straighten up my mugs. Especially my top left one, my Jerme splice and the sain splice beside him. The Jerme splice seems to always turn out too tall, and I don't really want to cut any parts off...as for the top left I just don't like it for some reason, and I need to fix up the rest of them. Critiquing would be appreciated XD

Oh...honestly didnt notice I was using too many color schemes besides the outlines...XD. And I just absolutely hate the chin on my 1st mug. It almost looks detached...Questions though:

1) On the 2nd one, is it me or does her "shoulder" still look like armor? Because I'm trying to fix it up but failing right now

2) I've been getting ALOT of negative feedback about the 7th mug's hair XD. Is it the color or what? Because I think it's straight from Karel. Same with the 14th mug.

3) Advice on the full helm? I see it;s angled awkwardly, and the bottom of it and I was told its alignment are off, but it is just a start.

4) On a few of my characters, I have marks, which tie into my hack later on, but for the most part, do they seem unnecessary? Like idk, I'm not sure if they make the mugs seem off

Edited by ziose0

Oh...honestly didnt notice I was using too many color schemes besides the outlines...XD. And I just absolutely hate the chin on my 1st mug. It almost looks detached...Questions though:

1) On the 2nd one, is it me or does her "shoulder" still look like armor? Because I'm trying to fix it up but failing right now

2) I've been getting ALOT of negative feedback about the 7th mug's hair XD. Is it the color or what? Because I think it's straight from Karel. Same with the 14th mug.

3) Advice on the full helm? I see it;s angled awkwardly, and the bottom of it and I was told its alignment are off, but it is just a start.

4) On a few of my characters, I have marks, which tie into my hack later on, but for the most part, do they seem unnecessary? Like idk, I'm not sure if they make the mugs seem off

Try changing it to a different color, it doesn't look like armor, but it looks off.

Maybe the color has to do with it, but the main thing that's irking me is that there's no shading under all that hair. It also doesn't really work with Sain's head angle.

The part of the helm that's awkward is the center part, the one taken from the generic soldier, it's not at the same angle as the rest of the helm.

If you give EVERY character marks in your hack, it will look unnecessary, definitely.

Thanks for the feedback. And okay, so these are a few of the ones I recolored and remade:

showcase02.png

I still think the 2nd one is off...but I'm going to worry about the eyes and the face overall later, I'm mostly wondering about the coloring and the whole body's cleanliness. Also the 2nd row, 3rd mug, I'm going to change the hair color, just not now. And for the bottom 4, those are some more I remade that I would like to be critiqued. Pretty basic but I'll be using them alot.

Okay, I'll work on her shoulder another time. But if I change the color won't it not really seem like a shoulder anymore?

Ooh about the Sain splice...yeah there are spots I missed. I'll fix that.

As for the marks, not there are only 10 characters with them, and they tie into the story. Too much?

Edited by ziose0

Well I've made a few edits to a few of the mugs and added some of my older ones I want to edit in here as well. Thanks to Blood Falcon over at FEshrine for his excellent critiques

showcase03.png

Top Row:

1. I attempted to remake an addition to her shoulder, I think it's okay for now at least.

4. I redid her skin and hair color

Middle Row:

1. Oh...Well...I added bigger eyes, but I liked the others better so I'll just fix the left one in the previous version.

2. I tried to change the skin tone then to make him still black, but a lighter shade.

3 and 4. Changed the colors to all FE8

Edited by ziose0

The border you have is darker than the FE8 border, and the red colors and black colors are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to saturated.

Ignore the border thing, that's my fault.

Edited by Joekitty

Yeah the red is waaay too bright and such. Was the previous red fine?

oh, and here are some others I fixed up:

showcase04.png

Here are some of the ones I edited:

I took apart the helmet and just put up the helms I had used to make the old test version of the one I had before. Then just recolored them. Just showing the parts I'm using to try to remake my full helmet

I recolored my dragon, and fixed his mouth from a smile. Idk what to with the "tooth" yet. Still working on that, but I slightly changed it.

Fixed Zealot splice's eyes.Gonna work to make my sprites more custom after I get them passable.

The last one on the top row, I resized the body again slightly to see if it looked better now. Honestly, I can't really tell if that one is too big or not. The next from the last on the bottom row is what my natasha splice actually looks like. The other mug is her in a...well, I can't explain it but it's almost like a more sinister version of her.

My astol splice, I fixed the shoulderpad with 2 different ones to see which looked better.

• 3 months later...

Okay, I finally got around to making some more older edits of characters. Most of the younger characters are just recolors and minor splices for now, but these are all still works in progress:

older07.png

I like them. Especiallt Wil. He looks good with multiple chest straps.

The last one looks kinda freaky to me, but I can't find anything technically wrong with it immediately.

And the older Cath could use a bigger face cover IMO. Did yo adjust her colors to match the FE8 border? Either way, it need shading where the scarf meets the face.

Quality stuff.

Yeah I like the Wil splice too, I'm just trying to think of more ways to make him a bit more custom. And maybe it's just me, but his chin just seems maybe a bit...too extended near the bottom in his older mug.

As for the last one, it may just be the eyes and the colors.

And with the older Cath, are you saying add more to the scarf to cover up more of her face? Or just making a bigger one in general? And actually just with the colors, I just took the colors from the FE's regardless of the game and just intensified them all to an extent depend on the game and how dull they were, and I just made the border a bit darker to allow darker shades.

Also: More Edits :D

showcase05p.png

And with the older Cath, are you saying add more to the scarf to cover up more of her face? Or just making a bigger one in general?

I don't like how the scarf around her face goes inwards like / \. I guess just making it cover her nose as well, or making it not cover any of her face would be nice, noone wears a scarf just around their mouth.

I don't like how the scarf around her face goes inwards like / \. I guess just making it cover her nose as well, or making it not cover any of her face would be nice, noone wears a scarf just around their mouth.

Hmm I mean I dont know. I was really needing it to cover her mouth for reasons. But okay, how about like this?

olderlarkfinal.png

Looks a bit weird to me though, I'm not sure. Because if you didnt like the fact that it went inward, now that it covers her nose too, it definitely goes inward

It might look better if it went inwards where her neck was, and then out for the face. I dunno, reference some other people with lower face covering cloth, like Volke. It just looks odd when theres a cloth that goes in only to cover her mouth.

• 2 months later...

So it's been awhile...and I have a few new ones and some fixed mugs:

revised02.png

The first one on the top row is my generic female bandit/merc mug, while the white haired girl in purple(Violet) is my Cath replacement. I also decided to try something with the negative coloring on the first one on the bottom row.

1- overly large and textured shadow, and flat colors used on the body (though I guess this isn't necessarily a flaw.

3- Shirt shading is wrong, reference/splice it

7/9- too big of an eye, scarves that look like the cling to the mouth look weird

10- too big of a face (features look too spread out, give him a forehead if you must keep his feature that way.)