Fire Emblem: Dark Dragon and the Sword of Light Low Turns Run (NES)

FionordeQuester

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could've gotten the village actually, but I decided not to. It was sort of a nervous habit, back when I was going through this map with strategies involving blockading the last archer so he couldn't get Marth even if Marth was low on HP, and I couldn't damage the archer into running for his life. Plus, I don't need the money at all, as this game gives you more than enough money to low turn this game. Trust me, I won't need it.

Besides, I did say I was going through the Chapters as fast as I could while low turning, right?

Alright, just checking, I thought it was just a LTC. This game moves really slowly though >.<

Technically, it is just a LTC, I mean, I'm not going to reset if I got all the level ups I wanted and beat the map just because I spend a few moments futzing about with the cursor, but, as you said, this game moves very slowly, so I try to go as fast as I can to make up for that. Really, besides the Low Turn count thing, I really just want to try my best to make this entertaining, like Maji's FE3 Let's Play, or Paperblades FE7. I'm not going to sacrifice turns for this purpose, nor try too hard to make jokes for the sake of making jokes, but otherwise, I figure, "if I'm going to spend this much time doing something, I may as make it as good as I am able".

Edited by FionordeQuester

Thanks for not killing Darros! XD

You're very good at playing this game quickly, you seem to have all your strategies planned in advance. How can you guarantee Shida will proc Power though?

I forget, is he killing off units for the greater good or going to recruit everyone? This isn't Shadow Dragon after all, where you need to kill off some of your units to access the Gaiden chapters (worst Gaiden requirement ever outside of 700XP & Nils), it is a possibility*.

*Recruiting everyone that you possibily can, that is

You're very good at playing this game quickly, you seem to have all your strategies planned in advance. How can you guarantee Shida will proc Power though?

I can't. All I can do is get her to 97-99 experience then wait for a map that doesn't require too much luck manipulation where she can easily level up. I have chosen Chapter 15 for this purpose.

I forget, is he killing off units for the greater good or going to recruit everyone?

I'm afraid this is gonna be one of those "for the greater good" playthroughs, although, I'm going to try not to kill off anyone who doesn't reappear in Mystery of the Emblem (for the ones who do, I'm just going to say that they got "heavily injured", like how they did it in Blazing Sword).

Hey guys, I'm now having yet another issue with recording. Something really weird is happening in Windows Movie Maker where when I try to record narration, it immediately ends and asks me where I want to store my narration, even when there's absolutely nothing in the movie timeline. Does any of you know what's wrong? The worst thing is, even when I try to save what I had, my computer shows me that red sign with an X and tells me "you can't use this, your folder is in use by another program or the audio is corrupted", so I really wonder what's wrong. Also, I tried using Audacity briefly, but even though it works, there's a lot of static in the background, so I really don't want to use it for commentary.

Alright guys, I have Chapter 3 all ready and recorded, and ready to upload...but I have a slight problem. I don't know why, but the microphone on my headphones has been on the fritz for about a day, and even when I got it working, there was this weird static in the background whenever I recorded commentary. Now, I have tried to remove it by using Audacity, but whenever I tried, it also hurt the sound quality of my voice. So, I need to ask, what would you guys prefer? Less static at the cost of lower voice quality, or more static in exchange for higher voice quality?

Here, you know what, let's make it a little easier on you guys. Here's a voice test I posted where I play four different samples of my voice, each with varying degrees of static and voice quality. If you could, tell me, which voice sample do you guys like best? And don't be fooled by the length of the video, it's only 2 minutes and 9 seconds worth of voice samples.

Wait a minute, hold on everyone, sorry, but for whatever reason, my commentary got radically out of synch. Sorry for the inconvenience, check back in in about an hour and a half.

EDIT: The new video is now up in the next two posts after this one.

I forgot how nice Barst's growths were in this game. What weapon are you planning on Barst use on Medeus, the Devil Axe? Is it obtainable outside the chapter 3 village?

Ha, I got to watch it anyway

Edited by General_Horace

Don't worry, I decided to leave it up for those who didn't mind the out of synch commentary. And yes, the Devil Axe is obtainable outside of the Chapter 3 village. You can get it from one of the pirates in Chapter 9.

• 4 weeks later...

Well guys, I haven't given up or anything, but I'm afraid there's going to be a delay in the next batch of videos. My mike has officially stopped working in any way that doesn't sound like complete garbage. Hopefully I can get a new mike soon. Until then, wish me look, and godspeed.

Keep up the good work, just watched the Chapter 3 video, and I'm pretty interested in seeing how you approach the later levels. Also can't wait until you get Wendell and Hardin, they're both pretty boss, especially for a low turnscount playthrough.

Sorry for the double post in advance, but it's been DAYS since the last post.

Apparently the Hammerine doesn't work on special weapons. angry.gif So Gradius only has 18 uses, but yeah, kind of obnoxious. Just in case you ever use Gradius, and why wouldn't you?

Apparently the Hammerine doesn't work on special weapons. So Gradius only has 18 uses, but yeah, kind of obnoxious. Just in case you ever use Gradius, and why wouldn't you?

I don't plan on using the Gradius actually. Hardin is a good unit, that much is true, but I find Barts to be the better unit for Medeus slaying for having higher growths, higher base stats, and being slightly easier to raise (but mainly the first two reasons). Therefore, the Devil Axe will be the weapon of choice.

Thanks for telling me about the Hammerine thing by the way. I knew about that, but that was still much appreciated.

He's not recruiting Wendall (or I don't think he is) because he costs turns.

Actually, I am. Wendall does indeed initially cost an extra turn to recruit, but he makes up for that by saving a turn later on, plus his Staff makes some future chapters easier to deal with.

I also used Barts for my playthrough and I found he always had accuracy problems... For slaying Mediuth with another weapon than the Falchion I would indeed choose the Gradius and I'd give it to Abel (I somehow like him better than both Kain and Hardin) personally.

But it's your playthrough. I'm just giving some advice.

He's not recruiting Wendall (or I don't think he is) because he costs turns.

Hammerine is only useable by Lena in the original.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, I am now trying to upload Chapter 4 of this Let's Play. I'm a bit nervous however. I'm trying to see if I can get it up onto Youtube without putting it through Windows Movie Maker this time, therefore preserving it's original video quality. I accomplished this by using Virtualdub, then importing an audio file that has the game music, SFX, and my commentary to replace the audio (you can't actually use Virtualdub to record commentary, as far as I know). Unfortunately, this means it takes like 14 hours to get onto Youtube. Now, this wouldn't be so bad in and of itself, however, for whatever reason, the upload keeps failing, and every time, it tells me that I either deleted or aborted the video, despite me doing no such thing.

I can't think of any reason why this is. The only thing that comes to my mind is that I would play Baldur's Gate in the days I was uploading. Maybe the strain of playing it while uploading the file had something to do with it? I dunno, I'm just hoping it doesn't happen again, and if it does, that I can figure out what's up.

So, I'm going to put the link of this video here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WduNoNEoAes

And, if I could ask a favor, I want you guy to periodically check in on it every hour or so, to make sure that it's still up. If for whatever reason, you can't get it, I'd like you to report to this thread. Then I can see at which point the upload bugged out. The reason I can post the link is because the video is up and "is being processed", which is strange, because in my upload page, it says that it's still only 17% uploaded.

Any assistance in this matter is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Posted 22 November 2011 - 08:03 AM

I also used Barts for my playthrough and I found he always had accuracy problems... For slaying Mediuth with another weapon than the Falchion I would indeed choose the Gradius and I'd give it to Abel (I somehow like him better than both Kain and Hardin) personally.

But it's your playthrough. I'm just giving some advice.

That is something that concerns me, I will admit. But if I make sure to max out Barts's skill, therefore making him have 90% accuracy against Medeus with the Devil Axe, that his hit will be reliable enough to land at least four hits on Medeus (and probably land two critical hits, unless I get lucky enough to score 15 Damage with the Earth Orb AND have Medeus not regenerate HP). The reason I didn't want to use Hardin was because of his inferior base stats, growths, and the fact that the Gradius demands such a high WpnLvl. But, we shall see I suppose...

But in any case, thank you for the advice. Don't ever feel as though you're not welcome to share it, because I want whatever I can get to make my videos great.