Aureola's Unfortunately Named Sprite Gallery

Aureola

Ooh yeah, he looked like he had a massive limp earlier. Not sure how I missed that.

2012-07-11_1816.png

Any better? I think I also might just extend the armor all the way down to his waist so the sprite's more readable.

edit: this is silly

2012-07-11_1823.png

Edited by Aureola

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

idontevenknow

2012-07-11_2035.png

Uh, more plummage, fixed the shadows up, changed the centurion's helmet angle and fixed his back leg some. Moving it a pixel further to the right, however, would make him look really off balance.

edit: I think it might be a good idea to just ditch the centurion's current stance and just have him standing up very straight and facing forward at attention.

Edited by Aureola

I actually really like these. The centurion's angles are all over the place though, it looks like his head is facing us, but then we can see all of his plumage stuff somehow, and then his body is angled more toward where the enemy would (which makes sense but not with the head angle). Also, I'm pretty sure most fe sprites have more of a shadow coming in front of them, normally it's like two pixels out I think? Not positive though

The plumage angle was intentional, it was supposed to be like this.

However it was pretty poorly done, so I'm just scrapping it for now.

2012-07-12_0943.png

2012-07-12_0943.png

Fixing up some angles, though something feels... off about the way the centurion's holding his sword.

Hopefully the shadows look about right now, trying to make them more consistent with FE 7 ones, though I'm giving their swords shadow in the same way Amelia's lance does because I think that looks better.

Edited by Aureola

Oh, wow, yeah I've never seen a helmet like that. It works for what you were going for, but I wouldn't suggest doing that style personally, I think it looks cleaner either without the plumage or with the normal style

• 5 weeks later...

Endless changeees

purplerecentguysclean.png

2012-08-13_0026.png

Revamped the centurion and not-halberdier and continued to endlessly change the colors around. Also gave the standard bearer a significantly better shaded fur hood and remodeled his standard.

Much much happier with these guys than the previous versions, though I'm sure there's plenty more to fix. Critique away~

edit: also, deranger, while I realize most FE sprites don't have shadows on their weapons, most also don't hold their weapons down to the ground, and when they do, there frequently is a shadow, so I'll likely keep it on any of them that hold their weapons within a pixel or two of the ground. Hopefully all the rest of the funky shadow business is fixed, besides that.

Edited by Aureola

edit: also, deranger, while I realize most FE sprites don't have shadows on their weapons, most also don't hold their weapons down to the ground, and when they do, there frequently is a shadow, so I'll likely keep it on any of them that hold their weapons within a pixel or two of the ground. Hopefully all the rest of the funky shadow business is fixed, besides that.

The new ones don't have large enough circles as shadows, the cape doesn't have a shadow, and I don't think the first guy's sword justifies a 1 pixel wide shadow (at least make it bigger as it gets closer to the ground).

In terms of shading, look at the original sprites, and study the differences. Your work may not be as polished as you'd like, but this comes with time. Keep practicing, because you clearly have talent. Good luck.

My favorite is the standard bearer, although his arm on his hip looks weird, almost like the band on his arm is crushing the entire arm into two separate parts...

The rest all look...just a tiny bit off. They don't seem exactly bad...but......yeah. I'll try looking at them a bit more...

A noblemen of some sort that either wishes to raise the morale of his countrymen by fighting along side of them, or does not want to leave the fighting to just the common soldiers so he helps out, or Ephraim.

Yeah, just a generic halberdier

Think of it as a sign of rank, a way to keep warm, whatever. I always thought of promoted classes as being generals or commanders of sorts within their armies. I'm not extremely attached to it or anything, but at the same time we have Lyn charging into battle pantsless and with a giant ponytail, and mages, who need mobility the least of all the classes, wearing zero protection. Also man skirt.

Edited by Aureola

Ok, in an ongoing attempt to make my sprites look more FE-like, I have two soldiers. The one on the left is a more recent, edited version of the basic soldier, and the one on the right is an older version where I screwed with the shading and outline a lot. Which looks better?

2012-08-18_1202.png

Updated the halberdier as well to try to improve the shading. Ignore the repeated pallet changes, I just do that to look at shading in a new light, it sort of helps.

2012-08-18_1206.png

And here's a heavily edited Centurion in two colors, with the old one on the far right for comparison. Changed around too many things to list, and referenced the hero heavily because he has the sort of armor I'm going for (also in case it wasn't clear earlier those funky things sticking out of his back are javelins).

2012-08-18_1209.png

The soldier on the left is definitely better :P His shield still looks a bit funky in shading though, if you want some references you can also check out some of the halberdiers people have made (MageKnight404's, AstraLunaSol's, bonestorm's, etc) as well as the original FE soldier :P

Other than the shield, though, I seriously like that new soldier and if you sheeted it, I'd use it :3

The halberdier also looks better, although his shield's kinda off too.

New centurion looks nice :) Doesn't seem to have much of an issue concerning shading, so that's good.