FE8 Hack

fuzz94

I've been working on an FE8 hack and I have run into some problems.

I have no idea how to do anything involving palettes, which is crucial.

I do not know how to make my own faces

In the Nightmare Modules,I arranged a custom battle animation, but in the Class Editor the animation pointer is a drop box and I can not plug in the pointer.

Spriting takes me hours and I am wondering if there is an easier way to do it other than asking someone else.

If anyone can help me with this I would appreciate it.

For palette editing, there is more than a tutorial on the subject, all palettes work in the same way so it should be pretty simple to do.

Making your own portraits of characters? As in spriting or inserting them? For inserting I would recomend FEditor; Extract one with FEditor, use that template which you get off it, and insert it on top of an old one. As for spriting, it is a technique completely aside from hacking, the fact man hackers are great spriters is but a coincidence.

Heh, this one is not hard; In that folder there is a .txt file with the pointer list which is in the dropdown; Edit it to add the new entry, and save. Use the template of the program for that.

Spriting is like painting and writing music and any other art form; Besides for a few special individuals, it takes tons of time and patience, and the more of both you have to provide to your works, generally the better the end up. Asking someone else to do it for you is a good approach, but for that it takes having an artist as your friend, which is easier said than done. The easiest way I can suggest you is to just make simple splices for the mugs you need now, use those, and when you have more time and are more advanced in your project, you can replace them by upgraded and "better" versions overall. In fact, when you have something to prove your skills and the quality of your project, then the odds of getting contributers increase drastically. To get contributers is a matter of how creditable you are, since sprites are an investment from their artists, so you gotta prove you're a good investment.

Hope anything I said was useful.

This all was very helpful actually.

I probably should have looked into palette editing a bit more before posting this. Oops

For the moment i do have faces from FE6, 7 and 8 just recolored to look like the people. I have a GBA Graphics editor, but I can't use it :( stupid mac not running programs.

Like I said I have a mac so for this custom animation I'll have to wait until I can use a windows computer and get that fixed up.

And as for spriting for animations, although it took me so long to make my, semi-decent Isaac and my absolutely awful Link, I made a decent Ranulf animation last night and it took me like an hour or so.

The help is greatly appreciated.

if you use Mono you can get all of Nintenlord's programs to work, IIRC. Mono acts as like a substitute for the .NET framework, IIRC. Been a while since I looked at it but it's something to google.

Spriting is undoubtedly a long and tedious process, if you don't have the time, motivation, or talents to do it yourself, then you'll probably have to find someone to help you, and well... that's that, I mean it just can't be helped too much. ._.

I downloaded mono but nothing runs. Im not the best with working computers so I probably did not do something I was supposed to. As for the animations it's not a problem, im kind of learning it, but its not to hard

Im not the best with working computers

... Yeah, you really ought to do something about that before attempting to hack ROMs, honestly. You need to be able to take a technical approach to things and understand what's really going on.

... Yeah, you really ought to do something about that before attempting to hack ROMs, honestly. You need to be able to take a technical approach to things and understand what's really going on.

well i mean like, for some programs i try to set up i do wrong and it takes me to long to do some easy things. But I know how to use hex editors when i need them and im doing fine with nightmare and FEditor, its just setting up new things on my computer does not normally end well.

Im trying to make a custom animation that uses magic and swords using the Nightmare module.

I have Xeld's patch installed so I know its not the confusion between that.

Everything is set, but when I go to a battle, the game freezes. Can anyone explain how to fix that?

Edited by fuzz94

Could you pass a list of steps you went trough to get to your current point?

I am sorry for asking this, but you see, too many variables could be effecting it for us to just give you the answer you desire with the information you provided us. The more information the merrier, ok? :) Increases our odds of finding a way to help you.

Indeed.

The animation is for a sheik/zelda so its a mix between female assassin and female sage

I made the custom animation in the custom animation editor in Nightmare

I copied the point data and pasted it over the animation for Pupil(2)

I set the animation for Female Sage to Pupil(2)

I changed the class stats to have swords and everything available.

And then it freezes.

I've been working on an FE8 hack and I have run into some problems.

I have no idea how to do anything involving palettes, which is crucial.

I do not know how to make my own faces

In the Nightmare Modules,I arranged a custom battle animation, but in the Class Editor the animation pointer is a drop box and I can not plug in the pointer.Spriting takes me hours and I am wondering if there is an easier way to do it other than asking someone else.

If anyone can help me with this I would appreciate it.

Open up the Class Editor in Note Pad

Go to where it says Battle Animation pointer and change what's

there

so it says

Battle Animation Pointer

NEHU

NULL

Close the file and try the module, it should work and now lacks the drop box.