Xenoblade Chronicles (UPDATED)

Lord Glenn

Since it was such a big part of a controversial topic several months ago (that being Operation Rainfall), I think it's important enough to post this as a (news) topic.

Xenoblade Chronicles, after having been localized for Europe, is finally on its way to North America. It is uncertain whether the fan campaign actually advanced the cause to finally bring the title over, though others have speculated that Nintendo of America has finally realized that after the release of Fortune Street and Rhythm Heaven, the Wii will be absolutely barren of titles, leaving gamers "stranded" until the launch of the Wii U (source: http://kotaku.com/5864556/nintendo-changes-its-tune-for-once). (Note: I've personally felt that, aside from Kirby's Return to Dreamland and The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, the Wii's already been barren and desolate, dating back to before E3 2011 (at which, they barely covered anything that would keep the console afloat in its dying days).)

That being said, I'm going to go on a little faith and believe that NoA finally made good on its statement that they would bring the title over if it was successful in Europe. As such, I feel that we in North America should show some support in making sure that the title doesn't flop; we don't want to give NoA an excuse to say, "See, we took a chance and none of you bought the game!" I doubt at this point that a similar situation would be plausible for the ill-fated Heroes of Light and Shadow, but if NoA did indeed have the guts to bring the title over because of fan outcry, a strong showing of support now may lead to further good-faith gestures later down the road when some other title does not make the jump to North America. (On a related note, nothing has been announced about the other two Rainfall titles, The Last Story (soon to be heading to Europe and possibly being retitled as The Last World) and Pandora's Tower: Until I Return to Your Side.)

(Discussion, talk, etc., go!)

EDIT / UPDATE - Siliconera is reporting that a Nintendo press release states that Xenoblade Chronicles will only be available through GameStop (retail and presumably online) and Nintendo themselves (through their website, see the link above) (source: http://www.siliconera.com/2011/12/02/xenblade-chronicles-officially-confirmed-for-america/). Given that it won't be available at every major retailer, I have to assume that this means that Xenoblade will probably be released in limited quantities. (I doubt GameStop would want more than 10-15 copies of it in stock at a given store (barring a total greater than that for pre-orders)...)

Edited by Lord Glenn

Despite Nintendo not giving a date to the game, this morning's image indicated an April 3 launch. GameStop's website, however, reflects an April 2 date, post-official announce. We're just gonna go with "early April" for now.

inb4aprilfool's

inb4aprilfool's

Well, it wouldn't be the first time that they released something on April 1st...

Great news, great game, please buy this guys >: o

If you have or are getting a Wii and are even the slightest bit interested in RPGs or good games.

Even though I'm personally more interested in The Last Story than Xenoblade (beyond the initial trailers for the game, it never really impressed me too much), at this point I feel like I need to buy it, otherwise (as I mentioned), we'll probably just get the "I told you so!" response and North Americans will then have to resume complaining about how Europe is getting stuff that we're not (and pining for the days when it was the reverse). I guess it comes down to a "for the greater good" kind of duty.

I know the feeling; I'm kind of in a similar spot, but in a reversed manner. I'm not super interested in The Last Story (I was before it was released, but then it was received with mixed scores), but I feel like buying it partly to make sure Europe keeps getting good games. I'm struggling to find a reason to buy Pandora's Tower though X D

In any case, Xenoblade is a pretty damn good game by its own right. Not perfect by any means, but still one of the best and most refreshing RPGs of this generation. So I believe you're doing your country and yourself a favour by buying it : )

Can I just say this?

*grabs flame shield*

Operation Rainfall wasn't the reason this was localized. So don't act so smug about it being released it was obvious only due to European sales, all Rainfall proved was how annoying a vocal minority can be.

I'm dead ****ing serious.

Can I just say this?

*grabs flame shield*

Operation Rainfall wasn't the reason this was localized. So don't act so smug about it being released it was obvious only due to European sales, all Rainfall proved was how annoying a vocal minority can be.

I'm dead ****ing serious.

d'accord

(also, this game has some nifty unused content, including a huge map that still features the treasure chests from early e3 footage)