New hacker requests help

tacticdave

Yay, my first post.

I will post my wishlist here, but its mostly for my convenience, so that i dont forget it.

*a custom weapon sprite for a sword. The sprite will be for a Sabre (as in, a Cavalry Sabre)

(if someone can do this without too much trouble. I may just hijack another sprite)

*I do have a custom animation in mind, but i'll leave that for later

anyway, thats all i can think of for now... If i have more trouble, i'll post here.

Oh, one more note: I'll pm my email if you want to send me stuff. I dont like to give it out.

I dont like to get junk

Edited by tacticdave

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

However, I want to at least try to do that, unless it takes really special tools/is very hard to do.

Spell animation ripping is relatively hard but there are a lot of rips on SF anyway. Even inserting them is harder though--that's why most hacks don't even bother with custom spell animations (you can't just transfer them, you have to remake them from scratch).

Also, from a realistic standpoint, why should people help you? I mean, assuming they have their owns lives and things to do, don't you think it's a little... greedy to ask so much of other people...? I mean if you're friends with people or you give them a reason to help you, that's different, but... I'm just kind of saying, I'm guessing a lot of people won't want to help some "random" person because there isn't much of a reason. Hope you don't find me being mean, just trying to point out the likelihood of things :\

well, ok. i see your guys' points. maybe id better get the hack a little further in before i start asking for help with graphical stuff.

I was mostly asking this right now because i thought i wouldnt get answers back so fast, and had a little more time to work on it.

call me naieve, cuz its not that far from the truth.

And i kinda (well, aside from the animation) meant to ask if people had some of this... uh... just laying around.

Admittedly im not that far along, so, ill edit the wishlist i have.

And i might as well mention it now, but i dont mind if some people want to help with other parts of the game, either.

My story is non-existant at this point. im kinda at the spot where im deciding where exactly i want to go.

(Hence, i dropped the animation request for now.)

You guys have made me realize something very important: If i want to ask for help,

i should at least be a little farther along. So, i guess ill use this for questions until im at the point where im fixing animations and stuff.

Edited by tacticdave

ok, quick question (i know, already)

anyway, i changed Lyns sprite to a Myrmidon, but when i move over her, she switches back to her normal sprite.

How do i fix this?

And i removed all of the tutorials on normal, but the RNG is still like it normally would be for the tutorials.

Is it basically gonna be stuck like that, or can i set it so the game will draw random numbers for those maps?

and, uhh... is it possible to change which characters are what class? IE: make Kent into a Fencer (Custom Class) or Sain into a knight?

Just so you know, i do have the FE Ultimate Hacking Guide (by Blazer, i think), but i may have missed something while reading it,

or because its covered in a later chapter, and i havent read that far. So, ummm... Think of me as an Ewan or something. Great potential,

but poor at the start, and almost useless when you first get him (ok, maybe a lvl 3 or so Trainee Ewan)

Edited by tacticdave

ok, quick question (i know, already)

anyway, i changed Lyns sprite to a Myrmidon, but when i move over her, she switches back to her normal sprite.

How do i fix this?

You have to change her map sprite as well, which is in the Map Sprite Editor.

thanks, Octavian.

Btw, how do you Quote people?

I know theres probably instructions here and stuff, but im busy modding right now,

and it doesnt help that my internet cuts out every now and then, thus making searching on this site a chore.

Edited by tacticdave

Ack. Mappy wont load any tilesets. Did i mess up somewhere?

More info: I downloaded Mappy from FEShrine, and downloaded/extracted it to a folder.

I click "New Map," and a blank screen comes up (like the instructions show)

and when i click "Import," that works fine. but when i load the Import, it wont load.

Nevermind, i figured out what i didnt do. I forgot to set the map to 16x16 pixel tiles.

Had me scared for a second that i might have a virus or something.

Edited by tacticdave

For your Lyn problem, if you're just trying to import map sprites, that's cool, but if you want to change Lyn's class to a myrmidon (which would be a lot easier than redoing Lyn Lord's entire class data) you can just go into the Chapter Unit Editor for the prologue and change her class.

For your Lyn problem, if you're just trying to import map sprites, that's cool, but if you want to change Lyn's class to a myrmidon (which would be a lot easier than redoing Lyn Lord's entire class data) you can just go into the Chapter Unit Editor for the prologue and change her class.

Except wouldnt that then mess up the myrmidon class for enemies, Npcs, and other, non-important Myrmidons?

Basically, if you want Lyn to be a myrmidon just change her to a myrmidon the way I said.

But if you want her to be some sort of special myrmidon/ lord class (for example in my hack one character who is a thief is special because he promotes to a custom class instead of an assassin; therefore he needs his own class, because the promotion and growths and stuff are different) that just looks like a myrmidon (i.e. has a myrmidon's map sprite and such) then you'd wanna proceed the way you were before.

Basically, if you want Lyn to be a myrmidon just change her to a myrmidon the way I said.

But if you want her to be some sort of special myrmidon/ lord class (for example in my hack one character who is a thief is special because he promotes to a custom class instead of an assassin; therefore he needs his own class, because the promotion and growths and stuff are different) that just looks like a myrmidon (i.e. has a myrmidon's map sprite and such) then you'd wanna proceed the way you were before.

Yeah, thats what i was going for. It will look like a myrmidon, but its actual class is gonna be called Page, and its gonna have stuff locked to it.

In the mean time, i have a question thats going to affect how i make this hack:

Should i write the story first, then work on the mechanical aspects (class/map making, etc),

or should i go the other way around and get the non-map stuff made, then go through and make the maps and story later?

Alright, you're good then, I was just checking because I've seen some people do that, even switching classes around. Dx And I'd get more of your story worked out in your head and then go with it; my hack's story is just kind of evolving along the way but now I'm finding it's hard to make maps because I don't have my story nailed down enough. Story is important gee_wiz_emoticon.gif

Ack. Mappy wont load any tilesets. Did i mess up somewhere?

More info: I downloaded Mappy from FEShrine, and downloaded/extracted it to a folder.

I click "New Map," and a blank screen comes up (like the instructions show)

and when i click "Import," that works fine. but when i load the Import, it wont load.

Nevermind, i figured out what i didnt do. I forgot to set the map to 16x16 pixel tiles.

Had me scared for a second that i might have a virus or something.

Don't use mappy, use tiled. inb4thiscountsashotlinking

Edited by Richter Belmont

Thanks, Richter. This looks a ton easier than mappy.

Yay, i made a (very basic) map with it. Gonna use it for the Prologue.

How do you add spoilers? im looking it up now, but havent found anything yet

Edited by tacticdave

[spoiler]TEXTS[/spoiler]

You can also use <whatever> and </whatever> also (using the <,> symbols instead of brackets)

thanks, man.

The following is what i am considering for my story

The prologue starts in a prison. The main character is being held there as leverage to get the mains older Brother to do some dirty work for a noble. That dirty work leads to a war, and the army invades the prison

Edited by tacticdave

Don't use mappy, use tiled. inb4thiscountsashotlinking

rxhbjvcfgvhnbjkmlhghjbnkmllbgvjfhnkjbgvufychnbkjhbgvufychbjnkbvgfhjnkbgvyhbjnkmhngfvhnkjityjghutyrertyuiopiuytrewasdfghjkl;iuytresdxcvbnmuytrdamnyoudamnyoudamnyoudamnyoudamnyoudamnyoudamnyoudamnyoudamnyoudamnyoudamnyoudamnyoudamnyoudamnyoudamnyoudamnyoudamnyoudamnyoudamnyoudamnyoudamnyou

on topic if you use the scorned and hated(by me) tiled, you'll need to get the tiled map innserter if you ever want to use it. It's somewhere around here, searching topics made by nintenlord should help narrow the search.

i got the inserter already. If i make a map of the same size as the one i replace, can i put it at the same Offset as the one i want to replace without messing anything up?

And Why do you hate tiled, anyway? Im not trying to bait you into a flame war, i need to know why, so that i know its drawbacks.