Mappy vs Tiled

deranger

damn it, I caused this didn't I...

Mappy always, I know it like the back of my hand, I can switch tilesets midway, and she's my wife.

Tiled I use very rarely. So rarely, it's only happened once, I just don't like it much.

Paint is very terrible, being completely serious, I hope that no one actually uses it for mapping. But Gimp...!

Edited by Kitty of Time

Tiled. I can actually see all the tiles at once, it lines up things like castles and such so I can see what they're supposed to look like, it makes things like shaded tiles easier to see, I can do my tile changes in tiled, and a bunch of other things I forget since I haven't made a map in a while. Overall though, it's much better than mappy for many reasons.

Also, i'm not sure if mappy does this as well, but I know tiled has coordinates on-screen, making it easier to load units and do tile changes.

I think Mappy does too ^^

But I like Tiled better as well, due to tile map changes being a bitch :P Alsoooo, it just seems to have more features; the only real plus to Mappy that I could ever find is that you can change your tileset if you want a new palette or something although you could just do that in game

paint :troll:

So, I have to ask: are you actually being serious with this or were you just commenting with it because of what the topic creator said?

Tiled. I can actually see all the tiles at once, it lines up things like castles and such so I can see what they're supposed to look like, it makes things like shaded tiles easier to see, I can do my tile changes in tiled, and a bunch of other things I forget since I haven't made a map in a while. Overall though, it's much better than mappy for many reasons.

Also, i'm not sure if mappy does this as well, but I know tiled has coordinates on-screen, making it easier to load units and do tile changes.

If you modify the MAPWIN.INI file, you can set it so that when you zoom in on a map, the block window also zooms in. It's handy for getting a closer look at which light grass tiles are which (for example). You can also resize the block window in the program such that the tileset is lined up properly (significantly harder when zoomed in, however).

-----------------

As for my program of choice, I use Mappy. Had I started mapping after NL posted about Tiled, I might have used it instead; however, I already know the ins-and-outs of Mappy pretty well, so I have no real reason to switch.

You can expand the tiles window in mappy to have them line up.

If you modify the MAPWIN.INI file, you can set it so that when you zoom in on a map, the block window also zooms in. It's handy for getting a closer look at which light grass tiles are which (for example). You can also resize the block window in the program such that the tileset is lined up properly (significantly harder when zoomed in, however).

How?

I personally used Tiled. I used Mappy before, and was fine with it. Then I tried Tiled, and it was pretty much the same for me, though what made me keep using it was how easy it was to apply tilechanges with it. They are very similar otherwise, and it's reallly up to who uses them to choose.

How?

Right-click the MAPWIN.INI file, select "Open with > Notepad" and scroll down in the file until you find the line "panelzoom=0". Change that to "panelzoom=1" and save the file. Open Mappy and load a map. Zoom the map to 2x, and you'll see that the tiles in the block window are now also twice as big.